The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (47PUJim, GMJim, 1866yellowboy, Pre '68 Dave, 1 invisible), 259 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,450
Posts996,251
Members44,670
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One ton brake drums
Kyle M #1394433 Tue Jan 26 2021 05:10 PM
R
Ricster Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hmmm. Kyle M, I'm working on that. From looking at the original setup, I think the stud bolt with its washer and spring was inserted into the back plate and then the "muffin tin " was engaged onto the stud end on the inside of the back plate. That is when the swaging takes place. I have four marks where a punch flared out the end of the stud bolt. I'm thinking the factory had some sort of jig to hold the works together before a press may have completed the task in one stroke. Swaging it back together is difficult if you have the back plate still on the axle. So I think others have suggested brazing or tig welding it back together for a more dependable result.
I have thought of making a new stud bolt by cutting off the head of a 3/8" dia. bolt, filing the shank of the stud to fit the muffin tin and weld that together on the bench. Having a threaded end attached to the muffin tin allows me to reassemble the entire brake and put a double nut with the spring and washer on the outside of the back plate later. Not original and some may cringe at the suggestion but possibly a alternate route.
Basically, I don't feel skilled enough to do that tricky weld in place and under the truck. I could use a more experienced guy to set us both straight. Don't want to mess this part up!
Ricster

Ric
Ricster #1394542 Wed Jan 27 2021 03:06 AM
C
'Bolter
On threaded brake adjusters I've had good luck with mixing just a LITTLE STP into some anti-seize. It seems to cling to the threads better and longer than pure anti-seize.

Evan
coilover #1395270 Mon Feb 01 2021 02:24 PM
R
Ricster Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Here are a few pictures showing the old set of adjuster pinions and a new set. Since I was lucky enough to find new hardware I'm planning on doing the swage job that originally put them together. The old set had separated long ago and the disks were sliding around inside the drum causing damage to both the drum and the disks.
Ricster

Attached Files
image.jpg (119.79 KB, 138 downloads)
image.jpg (146.55 KB, 145 downloads)
image.jpg (145.4 KB, 136 downloads)
Last edited by Ricster; Mon Feb 08 2021 08:12 PM.

Ric
Hotrod Lincoln #1396705 Thu Feb 11 2021 01:03 AM
S
'Bolter
Hey Ricster, I'm glad I wandered over here. We are on a similar path. I have a 48 1.5 ton with the same rear brake set up. When I pulled the stubborn right rear drum off I had parts fall out too. Broken spring, etc. I'm gonna call JC tomorrow. I saw the "DO NOT PAINT THE DRUMS" post. Hot Rod Lincoln gave me some good advice too on another post. If he's watching, what about brushing the non pad contact part with black oxide? A question to anyone. AND...Great looking truck!

Last edited by skydog; Thu Feb 11 2021 03:53 AM.
Ricster #1396735 Thu Feb 11 2021 04:56 AM
H
'Bolter
"Stove Polish" that is used to treat wood burning stoves to prevent rust works on brake drums without interfering with their ability to dissipate heat. It's inexpensive, easy to apply, and one application will last quite a while. It's basically atomized carbon powder and beeswax. There's plenty of it available on Ebay.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop