The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (destryridesagain, 52Carl, Conductacator, 2ManyTrucks, D B Cooper, ESum), 195 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,017
Posts1,000,880
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dewalt 20v battery
#1392006 Sat Jan 09 2021 11:38 PM
R
rickmg Offline OP
'Bolter
My Dewalt 20v batteries are 1.5 ah. I want to purchase 4-5 ah batteries. Dewalt batteries are EXPENSIVE! Have any of you folks used off brand batteries in your 20v Dewalt tools?

Rick

Re: Dewalt 20v battery
rickmg #1392010 Sun Jan 10 2021 12:03 AM
C
Wrench Fetcher
In a past life I dealt with rechargeable batteries in general and there is a huge difference in quality with aftermarket brands. You might get a great brand or you might get a dog. The worst were ones that smoked or melted connectors as savings were quickly diminished. Often OEM batteries have built in safety features which may or may not be present in aftermarket.

Sometimes if there is an additional Dewalt tool you would like, you can find a good price on the kit with the 4 or 5 amp batteries. Just research the tool model # as often they package kits with cheaper tools. They are sneaky with this.

Our prices are more in Canada but I found a 3/8" Impact Driver (the most expensive they had at the time) kitted from a dewalt dealer (not a home improvement store) with 2 x 4Amp batteries and charger. The kit was on sale so was only $20 more than just the bare tool so a great deal for the batteries essentially.

I've seen guys selling new bare tools locally so they've bought the kits, kept the batteries and any tools they wanted and sell off the extra bare tools.

I have found the best prices on Amazon for any of the Dewalt products, including batteries.

rickmg #1392020 Sun Jan 10 2021 01:13 AM
'Bolter
Watch out on amazon
They have a sloppy reputation for not enforcing sellers of counterfeit goods

Many expensive items worth counterfeiting are too often fakes
This included even mundane items
Batteries are absolutely faked
Sometimes the same amazon listing will ship out some real and some fake product mixed
I got some very good fakes on amazon, very usable and decent quality
If you email amazon and have proof of a fake you will get all your money back
And if for some reason they don’t want to refund you then your credit card will refund you and do a charge-back to the seller
Selling a fake is illegal so the seller has no grounds to dispute the charge back
And most of the time you get to keep the questionable fake but I have been provided return shipping for some items

Look for labels that aren’t quite right, poor English in the documentation or spelling and grammatical mistakes on fine print
-s

rickmg #1392021 Sun Jan 10 2021 01:20 AM
'Bolter
Excellent advice, Tim

On a similar topic, if anyone has a Black & Decker or DeWalt battery that will not take a charge. They can usually be "rejuvenated". Check YouTube or ask here.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
rickmg #1392022 Sun Jan 10 2021 01:23 AM
H
'Bolter
My portable tools run all day anywhere on the farm, without losing power or needing to be recharged- - - -at least until it's time to pour another gallon of gasoline into the generator.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
rickmg #1392024 Sun Jan 10 2021 01:27 AM
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
My portable tools run all day anywhere on the farm, without losing power or needing to be recharged- - - -at least until it's time to pour another gallon of gasoline into the generator.
Jerry

Yep, instead of having gasoline and a generator nearby (or, instead of carrying them with me), I keep/carry a few extra batteries nearby/with-me.

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
rickmg #1392031 Sun Jan 10 2021 01:54 AM
'Bolter
I love all my battery cordless tools, I grew up with corded tools and that was fine at the time
But once i got good modern battery tools I never want to see a plug-in tool again
Going out on the farm with just a cordless grinder and a few cutting disks when you need scrap iron in the junk pile is now a pleasure instead of a pita.

most batteries can be rebuild better than new for less if you have the time
I’ve rebuild so many I’ve lost count, you will need a precision spot welder
You cannot solder the cells without seriously damaging their Usable life
I get my cells from
https://www.18650batterystore.com/
Just the other day they shipped me two replacements for 1 cell that got dented by ups to make up for the inconvenience
-s

rickmg #1392039 Sun Jan 10 2021 03:50 AM
'Bolter
Rejuvenate a Dewalt battery. [youtu.be]

Similar procedure for Black & Decker batteries.

Tim
rickmg #1394410 Tue Jan 26 2021 03:08 PM
W
'Bolter
Right now, Ace Hardware has a 2 pack of, I believe 3AH for $100 if you sign up for Ace rewards. That's the best price I've been able to come up with. I just got some coupons in the mail from ACE, I'm about find out if they can be used in conjuction with the offer. Over the Holiday season usually there is some good deals. I wasn't able to find anything stellar. I wanted to get another charger and a couple more batteries. I ended up buying a kit with an impact, drill, 2 2AH batteries, and a charger for $140.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop