The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Hotrod Lincoln, DavidBraley, 55shaker, FAST55, Gone, Jon G, 1 invisible), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,448
Posts996,244
Members44,670
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One ton brake drums
Ricster #1393971 Sun Jan 24 2021 01:21 AM
H
'Bolter
When you do get around to replacing/relining those brakes, here's a sneaky trick that will reduce the frequency of adjusting sessions. New Huck brakes undergo a wearing-in process until the radius of the linings exactly match the drum. Until that happens, the pedal height will get low, and another adjustment will be needed. You'll probably also notice reduced stopping efficiency until the brakes get a full lining/drum contact patch. Once the lining matches up with the drum, further adjustments will be few and far between. You can short-stop the process by gluing a piece of coarse sandpaper (80 grit) to the inside of the drum and scuff-sanding the linings to the approximate radius of the drum. If you use a water-based glue like original Elmer's white glue, a little boiling water removes the sandpaper easily.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1394116 Sun Jan 24 2021 10:15 PM
R
Ricster Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks again Jerry. Advice, tricks and tips are most appreciated since this is unfamiliar territory for me. Now if I can only find that broken one ton brake spring replacement. I'm taking your advice on the drums. Clean them up, put them on, no color, no paint.
Ricster

Ric
Ricster #1394285 Mon Jan 25 2021 09:28 PM
'Bolter
Couple things: Take really good care of those ball bearings for the front. They are expensive and there is no practical way of converting to rollers. Spend extra on good grease.

Second those adjuster pinions have been available within the past ten years. I believe I got mine from Jim Carter. I brazed the disc onto the shaft and used some phenolic of some sort to shield the spring from the heat. Has worked well for 10 years and counting. When you take the shoes to be relined (I had mine done at a place that specializes in heavy truck stuff) take the drums with you and have the shoes arced to the diameter of the drums. They can also put paper shims behind the shoes to increase the diameter. Tell them DO NOT TURN OR GRIND THE DRUMS. There are no more left, that anyone is willing to talk about anyway. Mine seldom need to be adjusted even though I run in mountainous country, mostly loaded.

I believe those return springs are also available from Jim Carter. If not he will probably know where to get them.

The front's are another story. They do too much of the work and my front drums are getting thin. They are already over the limit and I can tell when they get hot. I changed wheels for ones with bigger holes for air circulation, which has helped some. Still, disc brakes are in my future.

51 3800 PU, 55 235 (w/cam, headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Ricster #1394293 Mon Jan 25 2021 10:40 PM
'Bolter
I thought I had found that one can buy new front drums for the 1 ton
They are the rear drum on the 3/4 ton

Find all the part numbers for front drum
Make a note of which vehicles the same part is used as a rear drum
Go hunting for rear drum for those other vehicles
-s

Ricster #1394363 Tue Jan 26 2021 05:32 AM
R
Ricster Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks guys, I'm on the list at Jim Carters and just received a note from them saying they are doing their best to get them back in stock soon. I believe I still have lots of brake left on the shoes to not have to reline them just yet. So now I'm just cleaning up and reassembling as much as I can until the springs show up. The front ball bearings really surprised me and yes, I will be careful with them. New shocks in front are also going in and the brakeline hoses have been replaced. Before driving in the Spring the brake lines will be new since anything in the back end has not been in use for a while. New brake fluid and ( hopefully ) proper bleeding and brake adjustment will allow me the wonderful feeling of not having to downshift and begin prayers at the site of a stop sign a mile away!
Hope all of the pieces go back where they belong!
Ricster

Ric
Ricster #1394386 Tue Jan 26 2021 12:56 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Originally Posted by Ricster
... having to downshift and begin prayers at the site of a stop sign a mile away!

All joking aside, you may have hit on the aspect of all of this that hasn't been talked about much -- our driving habits/style and how they can impact brake efficacy.

Our modern daily drivers, over the past 50 years or so, with all their modern anti-lock brake systems, good handling and electronic controls and sensors have really lulled us into bad driving habits -- like speeding, following too close, zooming up to stops, etc. Learning to drive 18-wheelers really showed me just what a crappy driver I was. I started out working on staying focused on what's happening around me -- especially to the front. Way to the front. I started driving like I was on sheet ice all the time and that other vehicles were likely to do unpredictable things. After awhile, it became a habit that was ingrained. Now, I drive my daily drivers, and most all vehicles, that way -- especially the antique truck with antique brakes. It really helped lengthen the intervals between brake adjustments on the old truck. smile Try that sometime -- pretend you are on ice and that you will probably go into a skid the moment you apply your brakes ... After awhile, you may find you are enjoying the drive more. Just be ready for the offensive drivers around you who will cut you off while zooming into a red light. And if all the impatient drivers stacked up behind you bother you, quit looking in the mirror so much -- there's nothing back there that will kill you as quickly as what's in front of you wink

Not saying anything here other than *I* have had to learn to drive slower and more defensively in order to more safely enjoy my antique truck driving experience. Maybe that thought is of use to others ....

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Ricster #1394397 Tue Jan 26 2021 02:01 PM
J
'Bolter
Defensive driving. As a 30+ year retired teamster driver i know what that means all too well!! Stay safe. John

1949 gmc 1-ton
Ricster #1394413 Tue Jan 26 2021 03:28 PM
K
New Guy
Quick question - I have the same setup, and am wondering two things - how'd you get the bolts/washer/spring off, and then how do you reattach them to the muffin tins when you reassemble?

Ricster #1394419 Tue Jan 26 2021 04:03 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Johnny N -- And learning to remember to cut the Jake off once I had stopped... Having the Jake kill the engine and having to restart with another driver next to you is ... embarrassing ... not me

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Ricster #1394420 Tue Jan 26 2021 04:07 PM
J
'Bolter
Yup. Ouch. Had plenty of oops moments!!!

1949 gmc 1-ton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop