The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (oldsteve, D B Cooper), 77 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,015
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motorcycles, I need one
#1392994 Sun Jan 17 2021 03:11 AM
M
'Bolter
Not a midlife crisis thing either. I'm dang near 70 so technically past all that foolishness. Had a Honda SL350 back in '70 and I've had a chance over the years to get several miles under my belt on friends bikes. But I've wanted a road bike/cruiser for the past 20 years. Main reason I haven't pulled the trigger is the family's concern of old guy wrecking on first few days of riding. Old bones don't heal fast. If at all.

Well, the wife still rides horses, not daily but two or three times a week with multi-day camping/riding trips a few times a year. I recently learned that statistically motorcycles are safer than horses. I'm about ready to live dangerously.

I've gone through several possible bikes in a Walter Mitty sort or way and am currently sweet on a Suzuki Boulevard S40 [bikeswiki.com]. It's a lightweight (381 lbs. dry), 5 spd. 650cc single cylinder cruiser. Basic bike that looks like it's straight out of 1970. Only instrument is a speedo. Electric start with a carb. Seat for two up and will run north of 85 according to many reports.

My first choice was a new generation Triumph Bonneville. Second choice was one of the many much more technical Hondas. Since this for all practical purposes will be a 1st. bike I'm thinking it's better to start off smaller/lighter and cheaper. Once the muscle memory is there and instincts are right then move on up to a big boy ride.

A MSF course will be taken.

So, any thoughts on a Suzuki S40?

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Sun Jan 17 2021 01:53 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Motorcycles, I need one
moparguy #1392996 Sun Jan 17 2021 03:43 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I have a 2007 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic (FLHTCU)in the barn waiting for a new owner.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

moparguy #1392997 Sun Jan 17 2021 03:56 AM
Mixed Up
Sounds like you have a good plan and the safety course will make a big difference on how you ride.
Rode dirt well into my 50’s. Amazing how trees will jump out in front of you!
Tried riding street when I was in my early 20’s, didn’t like it. If trees can jump in front of you, what about a moving car.

The light/mild bike, is the way to go and see what you think.
Living rural is also a big plus!

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
moparguy #1393006 Sun Jan 17 2021 05:29 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I rode a couple of Honda Gold Wings, including the one that blew a rear tire and just about took my left foot off. Now I'm riding a Harley Soft Tail, which is a bit lighter weight than the GW, and closer to the ground. My biggest challenge is swinging my tired old leg over the saddle- - - -once I'm astride, two wheels still don't intimidate me. Once climbing on and off gets too challenging, I should have the Can-Am style two front wheel conversion of the Honda that just about killed me completed. Quit riding- - - - -no way!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
moparguy #1393015 Sun Jan 17 2021 09:28 AM
W
'Bolter
Something to pick from. [duckduckgo.com]. YES, you need the 3 wheelers. wink grin

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
moparguy #1393198 Mon Jan 18 2021 09:59 AM
D
'Bolter
Turning 79 this coming summer and still have my 2010 Triumph Bonneville. As many
of you will notice as you get older, the upper body strength begins going away with
age. The Triumph was getting to heavy for me and if it got off balance it was a strain,
and I didn't feel comfortable on it in traffic because I'm short and it's tall. So I was
tippy toeing most of the time when stopped. About the only time I ride it now is for
a little trip in the country where I'm not into stop and go traffic.
So....I picked up a real nice real low mileage (700mi.) 2012 Suzuki TU250X. Nice light
bike and real maneuverable in traffic, good bike to run up to the hardware store with.
I use it a lot here when chasing the mutt round the pasture or down by the creek in the
summer.
For Christmas this year (2020) I bought a Mega Moto Pro mini bike kit. Came with everything
but the engine. Had a spare 212 Predator on the shelf, which is what the complete bike would
have had on it. This is not a mini mini, it's really quite beefy with huge tires, front shocks
hydraulic brakes front & rear, it's more along the lines of the old Cushman Eagles size wise.
First time out with it I took it out on the highway in front of the house and kicked it up to
43mph which it got to REAL quick since it's only about 160 lbs. Did some hill climbing down
by the creek and it doesn't even grunt climbing them. Actually climbs the hills better than
the Suzuki.
Maybe one day I'll be reduced to one of those 24 Inch Three-Wheeled Bicycle Cruise Trikes
with the Shopping Basket for older adults.
But for now......I'm still riding motor scooters, but my world is definitely getting smaller
every year, as are my muscles and my bikes.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

moparguy #1393202 Mon Jan 18 2021 11:19 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
A long time ago (mid 1980's), I had a Suzuki GS650 which, from the specs, appears to be the ancestor of this bike. It was the first bike (and last frown ) I owned. I thought it was a very manageable bike (for a beginner). As a 4-stroke, 4 cylinder, it seemed to have plenty of power, not many (if any) vices and was just a nice, smooth ride without all the "drama" of the big 2-cylinder bikes. Compared to my buddy's Harley ... it was night and day. Sortta like the difference between a nice, steady Quarter Horse or paint or an Appaloosa or any warm blood (issues/"loose screws" and drama). Ran smooth and no issues that weren't rider caused. Never dripped any oil anywhere smile And you won't need either a leather vest or a clip-on pony tail to look cool riding it nanner

HandyAndy is a BMW guy ... I was impressed with his bike when he rode it to my house once -- have you looked at those?

John
Cisgendered heteronormative aggressor perpetrating problematic toxic ideas of Chevrolet normativity smile

'49 Chevrolet 3804

moparguy #1393212 Mon Jan 18 2021 01:02 PM
Ex Hall Monitor
You should ride it before you buy it. Single cylinder motorcycles have an inherent out of balance issue which leads to a lot of vibration. They're called Thumpers for a reason. Manufacturers have tried differing methods to try to limit the vibration over the years with varying success. I had to give up riding a few years back because of an inner ear balance issue so it's possible the engineers have figured out how to balance a thumper more effectively since then but you need to ride it at varying speeds to make sure you're happy with it. In my early years I had a Triumph Daytona 500 twin that shook so bad I couldn't keep my feet on the pegs at highway speed. That gets tiring REALLY quick. Anyone who complains about the vibration of a Harley has never ridden a British twin.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Let's go Jared!
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
moparguy #1393224 Mon Jan 18 2021 02:03 PM
M
'Bolter
Lots of great advice above. I'm still very much in search mode, both information and actual bikes. Tiny mentioned vibration, that's come up in my DD. The Suzuki Thumper 650 does have a balance shaft which I've read helps. Some have mentioned a buzz in the hand grips at freeway speeds, same with some going to silicon filled seats to help with freeway speed buttbuzz. I really don't plan to ride much on the big roads. I've learned over the decades with old English two seaters that the more time on two lane country roads the more fun a trip is.

Also I definitely will ride whatever winds up at the homestead first. One concern with the little Suzuki is the smaller size. At only 6' I'm not tall by most standards, however my legs were over achievers and my western cut Wranglers have a 38" inseam. I can see making a lot of stops and take a minute to smell the roses while stretching the kinks out.

Denny's 2010 Triumph Bonneville is what I lust after. Let's see, what would a fair day rental rate be. Just thinking outloud here but a life lesson learned is that one of the worst things for a vehicle (motorcycle?) is to let it set. I see opportunity here, "Classic Car and Motorcycle Preservation Service Company", will ride your bike and drive your classic for minimal to no charge to keep it from seizing up due to non-use. Yep, worth pondering. smile

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Mon Jan 18 2021 02:06 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

moparguy #1393232 Mon Jan 18 2021 02:56 PM
W
'Bolter
In 1973 I bought a 1972 Honda 350 kept it one year and sold it and bought my wife a Piano. I still have a piano. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop