The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (68ironhead, 1953 panel, 3B, archburycontrol, 1958_Apache, BorderMechanical), 221 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,200
Posts980,312
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Muncie sm420 transmission top shaft detent spring
#1392552 Wed Jan 13 2021 08:48 PM
C
Shop Shark
I have a broken shift fork shaft detent spring on my first-second shifter fork. I've tried all the usual suppliers, novak, torque king etc. with no luck. Does anyone have a source for these springs? There 1 inch tall and 5/16 inch diameter. Will the springs from a sm465 fit?

Last edited by Chevy's till I d; Wed Jan 13 2021 10:52 PM.
Re: Muncie sm420 transmission top shaft detent spring
Chevy's till I d #1392580 Wed Jan 13 2021 11:45 PM
E
Shop Shark
If you measure the wire diameter of the spring, many hardware stores have a large selection of springs.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Chevy's till I d #1392587 Thu Jan 14 2021 12:23 AM
Shop Shark
McMaster Carr will have it, large assortment of springs
Take compression measurements on your broken one to match the k value

I found many springs either usable directly, only needed to be cut down, or needed moderate but doable modification to work.
It’s my second place to look for springs

First place is my large assortment of springs from all the things I’ve taken apart over the years, I always break appliances down before recycling
Screws wire springs plastic shapes switches transformers are all kept in my garage stock for project tinkering
-s

2ManyTrucks #1392610 Thu Jan 14 2021 02:48 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by 2ManyTrucks
First place is my large assortment of springs from all the things I’ve taken apart over the years, I always break appliances down before recycling
Screws wire springs plastic shapes switches transformers are all kept in my garage stock for project tinkering
-s
LOL! I'm a packrat as well. I come from a long line of them.

I second the McMaster Carr suggestion.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Chevy's till I d #1392611 Thu Jan 14 2021 02:52 AM
H
Boltergeist
There are hundreds of 5/16" OD springs on Ebay. Measure the diameter of the coil wire, pick one that's close, and cut it to length. "It ain't rocket surgery, ya know!"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Chevy's till I d #1392614 Thu Jan 14 2021 04:10 AM
C
Shop Shark
I prefer to use parts that are engineered to perform as intended. Just because a spring has been made out of a certain gauge wire doesn't mean it will have the same compression rate, different alloys produce different compression rates. The detent springs in the shifter top are engineered to be strong enough to position the shift fork properly while being soft enough to prevent premature wear. I was able to find the correct springs from Ampdistributing.com. one of the great things about the chevy big bolts is the sometimes frustrating availability of parts, new or used. So far I've been able to find everything I need for my 6400. It's more challenging on my truck because it's the 1955 first series which was only produced in 1954 - March of 1955 but a lot of the fun in restoring the old girl is searching for and locating the parts that I need. I have a 1968 chevy 1/2 ton and a 1968 gmc 1/2 ton that I can order most if not all the reproduction parts so it's just a matter of ordering what I need. With my 1955 6400 most parts aren't readily available. I've found parts trucks by driving thru the farmland near me,parts from eBay, off different forums and thru networking. The thrill of the chase. I'm still a few months from getting my girl on the road but she's coming together piece by piece and I'm already looking for a new project and it's going to be another old big bolt

Chevy's till I d #1392774 Fri Jan 15 2021 06:32 PM
F
Shop Shark
Kilhansen YOU PACKRAT !I understand your pain,come from a packrat line myself,its even worse when you have friends that run the junkyard-they call it re-cycle to kind of clean it up.Have neighbors who run trucks till they croak ,then park em in the weeds ! GM too ! Well when they leave then you get your shot! I have to say its big fun to dismantle trucks that are free to you,and right in your range. Have learned how to store parts in the form of a rat rod to keep stuff alive,235,clutch,4-speed,brakes,drums,cooling,Its just a packrat life !!

Chevy's till I d #1392796 Fri Jan 15 2021 09:07 PM
H
Boltergeist
"Good Grief, Charley Brown!"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop