The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (81tta, 46forme, BC59, canuck49, 3B, chuck2213, 3 invisible), 207 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,199
Posts980,306
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ground
#1392528 Wed Jan 13 2021 07:07 PM
K
Shop Shark
54 gmc negative ground.Was planning on putting a few extra grounds on my truck there is the original wire braid from the frame to the bell housing .I have a extra original wire braid so I was going to put it on the drivers side opposite to the original and was going to do two others from the cab to frame and box to frame .Thoughts please

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
Re: Ground
KEVINSKI #1392535 Wed Jan 13 2021 07:29 PM
Shop Shark
That’s a good idea Kevin, I did similar but kept it to a minimum
where the battery attached to frame I added a strap to the cab bottom

For the box (to ensure the tail lights work) I included a 16awg wire connected locally on frame at the back of the truck, it is in the loom with the tail lamp wires up to the back of the lamp assembly and attaches to a lamp bolt

Edit: make sure no current flows in the coolant to/from radiator
It will cause electrolysis in the radiator and premature failure
This is why the original wiring for AD trucks had dedicated headlamp ground wires for each head lamp that goes back to the inner fender

Engine off all lights off
Clip your multimeter leads one on the engine block and other on radiator cap
Set it to its most sensitive millivolt setting and check where it’s zero point it floating at, then turn on the park lights and check the new value on the meter
This number should not be more than a very few mV change at most if even at all
Repeat Test checking with the headlights
Try adding a temporary ground (clamp booster cables from perhaps the grille to block) and check if there is a noticeable reduction on the meter reading
If so you need to address current return from the lights
-s

Last edited by 2ManyTrucks; Wed Jan 13 2021 07:39 PM.
KEVINSKI #1392543 Wed Jan 13 2021 07:54 PM
H
Boltergeist
Do yourself a favor and trash that original braided ground. By now it's probably doing nothing but adding to the truck's "antique" appearance. They're notorious for developing high resistance where the braid is crimped into the terminal lugs at the ends. Those connections being exposed to decades of dirt, salt, and humidity have a tendency to build up corrosion where it can't be seen. At least the plastic-insulated ones have a better chance of surviving the environment, even if they don't look "period-correct".
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
KEVINSKI #1392557 Wed Jan 13 2021 09:18 PM
B
General Purpose
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
54 gmc negative ground.Was planning on putting a few extra grounds on my truck there is the original wire braid from the frame to the bell housing .I have a extra original wire braid so I was going to put it on the drivers side opposite to the original and was going to do two others from the cab to frame and box to frame .Thoughts please

Nothing wrong with your plan.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

KEVINSKI #1392559 Wed Jan 13 2021 09:27 PM
H
Boltergeist
Every time an extra connection is made, the potential for getting a high resistance path to and from the battery increases exponentially. I have had good luck by installing a heavy ground cable from the battery to the bellhousing to carry the starter current, and using smaller-gauge grounds to the frame, cab, and bed to handle lower-current demands like lights, instruments, heater blower, and such.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
KEVINSKI #1392607 Thu Jan 14 2021 02:22 AM
K
Shop Shark
Thanks for the info plan on using 4 gauge rubber coated for the cab ,and box as I have some on hand .the original braided does not have terminal ends on it looks like it is soldered at the ends with a hole drilled in it and looks to be in good shape ,I will have another look also .I will also after I get it all grounded check the rad for current .thanks kevin forgot to mention waiting for new battery cables ,so they will be installed also 2/00 gauge.

Last edited by KEVINSKI; Thu Jan 14 2021 02:28 AM. Reason: More imfo

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
KEVINSKI #1392698 Fri Jan 15 2021 01:36 AM
F
Shop Shark
Kevinski Have had good service out of braided cable by finding copper tube that when flattened would slip over the braid ,then pounded it flat punched a hole and securely bolted-up. I guess you could solder these. I heppened to have a roll of clean flat braided cable. Also have used welding cable (soft) Have used stranded hi- voltage stranded wire that is pretty stiff it all worked OK Also made my own ends out of K-copper tube you can make em look factory then !

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop