The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (2ManyTrucks, Hotrod Lincoln, Johnny N, 68ironhead, Gmc101, Frank50), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,200
Posts980,314
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
All in One Laser Printers ...?
#1392431 Tue Jan 12 2021 11:17 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Ok, smart guys -- help me out here. The Stovebolt Accountant has authorized purchasing a new printer for the office here at HQ. New printer is replacing 4 things (only one of which remains fully functional at this point): the Laser Jet 6, a flatbed scanner, a fax and the inkjet color printer. It is hard to retire the LJ6 -- it works great, it's a tank that has been through two moves now. If anyone remembers the lightning strike and fire we endured in 2000, this is the printer that replaced the LJ3 (also an awesome printer) that died. So the dang thing is 20 years old and still works like day one. But it is functionally obsolete. I may yet come up with a plausible reason to keep it ... You should see it -- it looks like it has been used as a bombing range target.

Anyway, need some input/recommendations on a new printer. Here are my known requirements:

1. MUST be a Laser (no discussion on this). Color is nice, but not a requirement.
2. wifi-ready/wireless
3. Scanner must be a flatbed, have an autofeeder and handle 8.4 x 14 (legal size)
4. Prefer HP. We've never owned a printer that wasn't an HP. Actually, we've only owned three printers *ever* and two of them are still sitting here. HP lasers have never let me down. The inkjet is, and always has been, a piece of junk. It's only still here because of the scanner. I consider all inkjets to be junk. Wouldn't accept one as a gift -- unless to be used as a wheel chock.

Does not need to be a fax. Will not use the fax even if it does have one. If I have to get fax to get the rest of it, then so be it.

What should I look at??

John
"Paul! Klaatu barada nikto. KLAATU BARADA NIKTO!!!!"

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: All in One Laser Printers ...?
John Milliman #1392435 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:04 AM
Master Gabster
I don't think you can get an all in one that doesn't fax. At least you can ignore that function. I'm buying a new Canon G3260 tank type ink jet. I'll find out how it performs. It has great reviews. My old HP printer was great but it's like yours, 20 years old and very long in the tooth. I considered a color laser but they are way too expensive for my wallet. What attracted me to the tank type ink jet is they work well for occasional printing without the ink drying up. You also get vast quantity of printed pages before having to add ink.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
John Milliman #1392436 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:09 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I hear you, Tiny. But I have bad past experience, so has the accountant. The printer sits in the same room as the wood stove. The laser and the wood stove get along just fine. I do not believe any ink jet will do as well. So thanks for the input but I mostly quit listening when I hear "ink jet" You might as well tell me to look at a dot matrix printer. smile

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

John Milliman #1392437 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:12 AM
Master Gabster
grin I had one of them for my very first printer. In case you get bored and want to do some reading: CLICK [usa.canon.com]

Last edited by Tiny; Wed Jan 13 2021 12:18 AM.

John Milliman #1392439 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:16 AM
ace skiver
If not an ink jet, HP - LaserJet Pro M479fdw Wireless Color All-In-One Laser Printer - White [bestbuy.com]

I have not used/had one - good reviews.

This week I "trashed" an older similar HP model - because when I upgraded the HP software, HP degrades the print-quality if you use a non-HP toner cartridges. The difference in costs of toner cartridges help me to decide to go with an Epson InkJet.

Since we no longer have a "land-line" telephone, I will be using an on-line fax service.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
John Milliman #1392441 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:27 AM
G
Shop Clutterist
I'm happy with my Samsung Xpress all in one laser printer. It has everything you asked for in your post. (Note that I have never scanned legal paper)

However, I don't print much anymore. A pack of 500 sheets will last me over a year. Trying to eliminate as much paper use as possible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...m2070fw_black_white_wireless_4_in_1.html

Last edited by Gord&Fran; Wed Jan 13 2021 12:36 AM.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
John Milliman #1392445 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:43 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Tiny -- Just found the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182nw -- no fax, but it does Print, copy, scan, dual band wireless. And apparently color lasers have come way down -- this one is $329.00. Naturally, it is outof stack. But I'm just studying the market at this point, anyway. At least I know now what's out there. Somewhere ...

Who faxes anymore?

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

John Milliman #1392447 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:45 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Tim -- Gord -- Thanks for the input -- I will look at those.

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

John Milliman #1392490 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:53 PM
Master Gabster
It's in stock on Amazon. I'd consider a color laser but they don't do photo quality color.

John Milliman #1392498 Wed Jan 13 2021 02:34 PM
G
Shop Clutterist
BTW, HP bought Samsung's printer business a few years ago. Don't know if that's a good thing or not...
https://press.hp.com/us/en/press-re...amsung-electronics-co---ltd--printe.html

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed

Moderated by  Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop