The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (jremig, Jerry M., Justhorsenround, kahoys, 2ManyTrucks, Hotrod Lincoln), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,201
Posts980,314
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
37 truck suspension.
#1392347 Tue Jan 12 2021 05:38 AM
B
Beebs Offline OP
New Guy
I need some advice. I bought a 1937... 1)2 truck. The guy I bought it from did a beautiful job of using a S-10 frame. Has a 327 engine, disk brakes that stop on a dime. PS, PB. Auto. It is lowered and runs like a buckboard. I want a smooth ride. Will be my daily driver. My options are. Use IFS and RS. Or should I use a new chassis. I just want a nice ride. I skipped many lunches so I would not have to skimp on truck. Any ideas what options would provide the smoothest (not perfect) but a little less buckboard. Thanks for any info.

Re: 37 truck suspension.
Beebs #1392356 Tue Jan 12 2021 10:57 AM
C
Shop Shark
The cheapest test is to remove the shocks and CAREFULLY take it for a test drive. If still a harsh ride then softer spring rates are needed. Custom coil front springs with a low rate and either leaf removal or custom leaf springs on rear. On leaf springs it is the SHORT leafs that add stiffness. On a lowered vehicle stiff springs are usually necessary because of decreased clearances between suspension and body/frame. A pricier approach is to use coil overs on all four corners where you can select from a buckboard to a baby buggy ride. Last question is if you want a Lexus ride trade the TRUCK for a Lexus.

Evan
Beebs #1392400 Tue Jan 12 2021 06:30 PM
J
Shop Shark
Before calling around, find someone with four corner scales and weigh the truck with you, a full load of fuel, and passenger. Any decent spring shop or hotrod shop will need to know this. You need all four corners or at a minimum, front and back. My '37 weighs 3400 in as driven condition with a 50/50 weight bias. Next question they will ask is what springs are on the truck now?
Do as Even suggest, remove or unhook the shock and see how it rides, be careful, it could get craze. Shocks can make or break ride quality.

Beebs #1392414 Tue Jan 12 2021 08:08 PM
T
Crusty Old Sarge
On an S10 chassis most folks go with the easiest route to lower one by changing springs. If your truck has a stiffer aftermarket spring you can swap those for the OEM type and the ride should soften. The factory springs should handle the weight of the V8 no problem. If you still want to keep it lowered I would suggest you use drop spindles as they don't effect the harshness of the ride.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
59' Apache 31, 327 V8, Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
Beebs #1392450 Wed Jan 13 2021 01:22 AM
H
Boltergeist
Lowered vehicles and a smooth ride simply don't go together. Pick one- - - - -normal ride height and a smooth ride, or lowered and rough, and stick with your choice. You're going to need more suspension travel than the lowered stance can provide. Hopefully, you'll be able to raise the ride height and retain enough steering and suspension geometry to have a good ride and good handling, but those things really need to be designed into the original build. Most vendors who sell round track race car components can supply coil springs for the front to provide the proper weight distribution. If you're still running rear leaf springs, the weight carrying capacity can be altered for a smoother ride, as long as there's enough suspension travel to allow for some suspension movement without bottoming out on bumps.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
coilover #1392466 Wed Jan 13 2021 02:39 AM
B
Beebs Offline OP
New Guy
I can't afford a Lexus. I just want one jiggle instead of two when I hit a bump. You are right. Thanks

Joe H #1392467 Wed Jan 13 2021 02:40 AM
B
Beebs Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you. Will go to the garbage yard. They have a scale. Thank u.

TUTS 59 #1392468 Wed Jan 13 2021 02:42 AM
B
Beebs Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks. Like I said. My butt hurts after a bit.😁

Hotrod Lincoln #1392469 Wed Jan 13 2021 02:44 AM
B
Beebs Offline OP
New Guy
I don't like my truck now. It is lowered. I want get it back to normal height and a smoother ride. I know it can never be perfect. Thanks

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop