The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (48bigtrucks, 66rollback, JW51, campbell45, Johnny N, chrispy), 193 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,585
Posts988,948
Members44,491
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "Flame Thrower Coils"
Clem Donahue #1388083 Sun Dec 13 2020 12:58 AM
H
'Bolter
There's a simpler way to get a hot spark for starting, and save the points. Just install the same type of ballast resistor system that the 12V ignition systems use, and retro-fit the starter with a foot switch that has the small side terminal to bypass the resistor during startup. Use a 1 ohm 200 watt wire-wound resistor in series with the ignition switch and bypass it during starting with the side terminal of the start switch wired directly to the coil. That will avoid spending any more money unnecessarily on another trick coil, and still give you the hot spark boost during startup that you apparently think you need. Does anybody really believe Pertronix actually makes their own coils?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Clem Donahue #1390112 Mon Dec 28 2020 08:36 AM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Question for the pertronix experts. I ran accros this thread looking for answers to something totaly diffrent but it caught my attention . My conern is this. I recently had my points changed out to pertronix on my 1951 216 12V . The mechanic that did the job did not change out the stock coil or the spark plug wires. Is it necessary to install the pertronix flame thrower along with the pertronix wires ? And if so does the gap on the spark plugs need to be changed from the recomended gap when using points ? Also does the timing need to be reajusted? I guess a simpler question is can i swap the stock coil to flame thrower and the spark plug wires to the pertronix wires to mach the pertronix ignition without having to mess with the timing and the spark plug gap and is all this even necessary?

Clem Donahue #1390119 Mon Dec 28 2020 01:17 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
First, I’m not a Pertronix expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once. Any time you go to electronic ignition the spark plug gap must be increased. I think Pertronix recommends .045. No metal core plug wires. The coil does not have to be changed. Timing will be fine right where it is. All that being said your experience may differ, as several of our members have found out, but my personal experience with the product is it is purely unreliable garbage. As I said your experience may be different.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Clem Donahue #1390245 Tue Dec 29 2020 04:09 AM
B
Curmudgeon
This is to answer Clem's last question:

Buy a stock coil if you plan to use points.

Optima batteries have had a reliability problem in the past. I hope that this has been resolved by now.

You said "new cables" then "resurfaced frame".
If you are talking about battery cables make sure you have at minimum 2/0 gauge (also called 00 AWG) pure copper (not copper clad) cables for your 6 volt system.

Clem Donahue #1390254 Tue Dec 29 2020 10:34 AM
R
'Bolter
I've installed several Pertronix units with no issues over the last 15 years. Cannot use spark plug wires with metal wire, but can usually keep your stock coil. There may also be instructions that if your vehicle uses a ballast resistor that you may not need it with the Pertronix unit.

Make sure all battery connections are good including all grounds.

Facundo #1390257 Tue Dec 29 2020 11:41 AM
D
Shop Shark
I find this set up usually runs best in tune at 8 to 12 degrees advanced.

Clem Donahue #1391013 Sun Jan 03 2021 01:52 AM
F
'Bolter
Clem before spending a lot on after market ignition consider an HEI out of a 292 chevy. Now I understand if you want an original look that wont work,and you will need to go to 12 volt. If it might work for you ,you'll soon find out it makes a real engine out of any version ! just bump it it's running ! Now I half to qualify that my whle fleet (8 units) are on propane. Also you can do it on gasoline too. Best thing about propane it's NEVER cold natured and there is no choke to fight. Just a thought

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop