The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Bolter Finally, Michael Kamer, Leo, Johnny N, DennisM, 2 invisible), 127 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,768
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need Some Help Ref T5 Choices
gke59stpside #1389695 Thu Dec 24 2020 07:16 PM
J
Wrench Fetcher
I got My 'T5'Trans with Mech Speedo out of a 93' S-10,extended Cab.... Factory installed

Jimmy Gatz
gke59stpside #1389873 Sat Dec 26 2020 06:43 AM
C
'Bolter
If knowing your speed is your main goal you might want to check out a GPS speedometer. The are dead accurate no matter what tires, transmission, or rear end and run about $60. Very easy to install. The largest in dash one is 85mm ( about 3 3/8") so a reducer ring is needed to mount in the factory 5" dash hole.

Evan
52Carl #1389896 Sat Dec 26 2020 02:37 PM
ODSS President
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Make sure to chose your rear axle ratio to do what you want the T5 transmission and inline to accomplish.
Some think that 2,000-ish RPM at 60 MPH is a smart thing to do because it keeps the engine from screaming.
That is a mistake in my opinion (as well as others who have done it that way). These engines perform best and get the best gas mileage at 60 MPH at 2,400-2800 RPM. A vacuum gauge will confirm this.

This has been my exact experience. I've had a .70 overdrive transmission installed for twenty years. I installed a MOTORMINDER VACUUM GAUGE about eight years ago because it was a lighted gauge that I thought looked cool and it was colorful, indicating: 0-5 vacuum inches=Red=Poor, 5-10=Orange=Fair, 10-17=Green=Good, 17-21=Blue=Idle, and 21-30=Yellow=Decelerate. What I discovered to my astonishment is that to keep the engine happy in the GREEN Zone, THE MOST EFFICIENT ZONE, in many situations the engine LIKED MORE RPM's. I just did a search and the model very similar to my STEWART WARNER Gauge is selling for $81.14. After radial tires and the overdrive transmission this is easily the best purchase I have made for my truck as it has EASILY PAID FOR ITSELF IN FUEL SAVINGS.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rocinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop