The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Paul_WNC, papas52, JW51, Kerwin, 2 invisible), 234 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics122,988
Posts992,421
Members44,581
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Plow setup
BlackViking60 #1389637 Thu Dec 24 2020 04:42 AM
R
'Bolter
You used to be able to get plows for trucks like that. Back in the 60's the city had a '58 or '59 C-60 or C-70 dump truck that had a plow on it. Later on they got a '69 that also had one. Similar to what the DOT uses on their trucks now, except perhaps slightly smaller.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster [stovebolt.com]

1947 Chev. Loadmaster

1959 Chev. Viking 40

I went online and ordered a chicken and an egg. I'll let you know.......

BlackViking60 #1389639 Thu Dec 24 2020 04:57 AM
J
J M Offline
'Bolter
For what is worth. I would not put a snow plow on anything thing that I thought much of. I plowed snow for a number of years at our local school district. That is one of the hardest things you can do to a truck. There are always hidden obstacles that you will find that will bend plow frames and rip mounting hardware off of the truck. You will learn to be a pretty good blacksmith and welder before it is all over.
If I was looking for a snowplow, I would find an old beat up 4x4 pickup That if you damaged it wouldn't be the end of the world. Snow plows are also susceptible for accumulating dents when you back up or slide into something as well. Lots of old pickups are available with snowplows already mounted on them.
Just my thoughts for what is worth.
Jim

BlackViking60 #1389656 Thu Dec 24 2020 01:29 PM
B
Shop Shark
Jerry, i have plenty of space to push the snow, its plenty wide with lots of places to turn the truck around. I figured the fitment wpuld be somewhat close to a newer 3500+ setup since these taskfprce cabs are easily swapped over to duramax frames.

Thanks 78 buckshot i was thinking 9 ft but 10 sounds a little better since the bed is 7ft wide.

Rich'stoys, luckily my brother works for our towns highway dept so i can run over there and check out anything i want which may prove very useful

Jm, the area im trying to plow is a flat paved surface with no obstacles nothing to slide into, i know it will be hard on the truck but its just 1 driveway thats ideal for plowing, there is nothing to hit. No salt to get at the truck. And quite honestly its the most heavy duty truck i have. The only flip side of this is we have a 48 1.5 ton truck that could do the job next year currently it just needs a motor which my viking will be donating to it because i plan on running a v8 in the viking. Starting this spring.

THE BLACK VIKING
1958 Viking 60 ~ my new toy hauler

1954 GMC 350 (2ton)
Nick named "BIG UGLY" due to the rust, faded paint, and IMO the ugly flared "mustache" grille surround.

My Current fleet: 1954 GMC 350, 1956 chevy pickup, 1958 Viking 60, 1969 mach 1, 1970 chevelle, 1970 skylark custom, 1971 nova, 1989 mustang GT, 2020 panigale v4.

Keep 'em rollin fellas!
BlackViking60 #1389670 Thu Dec 24 2020 03:13 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I agree completely with JM. His recommendation is spot on -- Everything will be VASTLY simpler to spend a few hundred bucks on a beater 3/4-ton truck (that won't pass inspection but still works) with an automatic transmission and power steering ( wink ) with a modern MeyerMax (for example ...) plow with nifty push button controls that sit neatly in your lap (that you don't have to lean half way across the cab to operate ...)

I hope we hear from 48bigtrucks -- He plows snow with his bigbolts and may have some insight for you from his personal experience.

Something else -- How expensive is it to pay someone to push your driveway versus how much you'd have to spend on rigging one of your trucks? Plus the time involved ... plus how much do you enjoy laying under your truck in the snow at 0300 getting hydraulic fluid dripped on your face while searching for something that broke off so you can reattach it and at least get the truck moved out of the middle of the road/driveway .... ? Just things to think about.

smile
John

John

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
— C. S. Lewis

'49 Chevrolet 3804

BlackViking60 #1389693 Thu Dec 24 2020 07:06 PM
B
Shop Shark
John, since its already plow season the prices are higher on those beaters, plus they could crap out on me any minute and id have another paperweight on my property which has a high amount of vehicles on it anyways. . I like the idea of using my big bolt to push some snow out of the way. Id rsther not let it just sit all winter long either. As far as the investment goes a plow setup should last me a lifetime if i only did my driveway a few times a year, prices to get my driveway plowed as crazy as its so big/ long. Its worth the investment to me. And as far as the problems go im used to it. I would love to hear from 48 big trucks, my idea was to grab a new plow setup and get it to fit the truck so one hand has a remote the other on the wheel but my driveway is simple so all i need to do is drop the plow and push and steer as needed. Nothing super crazy. At this point im almost determined to get this done just to say i did it.

THE BLACK VIKING
1958 Viking 60 ~ my new toy hauler

1954 GMC 350 (2ton)
Nick named "BIG UGLY" due to the rust, faded paint, and IMO the ugly flared "mustache" grille surround.

My Current fleet: 1954 GMC 350, 1956 chevy pickup, 1958 Viking 60, 1969 mach 1, 1970 chevelle, 1970 skylark custom, 1971 nova, 1989 mustang GT, 2020 panigale v4.

Keep 'em rollin fellas!
BlackViking60 #1389694 Thu Dec 24 2020 07:09 PM
'Bolter
I like plowing, I fab'd my first plow on my new 1974 GMC pick-up just out of high school. I swapped it over to my new '76 Chevy and it worked hard for 18 years until I sold the truck. Same 50 year old plow was fab'd on to my 2000 Chevy dually crew cab diesel for my now 350 ft. driveway. I'm not going to mount it on my 2011 2500HD, I might modify it for my tractor though. I like winter nights, working trucks - it just feels right. Oh, just for the record, the first two trucks were full size 350's, 4 speed's, I could keep up with the guy's with automatics and never had to replace a clutch, let the tires take the slip and not the clutch.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
BlackViking60 #1389710 Thu Dec 24 2020 08:43 PM
S
'Bolter
If you wind up with electric controls for a plow, mount them on the shifter so they are within reach without moving your hand off the knob. I did that with a Scout many years ago and my current garden tractor/blower. Saves much fatigue, speeds the job a lot.

I just made a small bracket to mount the switches about finger length from the knob and let the wiring lay on the floor so it did not bend much when shifting. No problems in many years, use high quality switches so they last.

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
BlackViking60 #1389768 Fri Dec 25 2020 05:31 AM
C
Shop Shark
I used to plow with a '67 GMC 1-Ton Dump. We loaded the bed with sand and that's all we needed. Although the truck also had snow tires, traction was impressive.

I used chains on a '66 GMC 1/2 Ton. I would put a little weight in the back for some extra help. Traction was also impressive.

Now a 1-Ton or 2-Ton with weight and chains should be really impressive.

If your truck is a show truck or close to it, I would definitely pass. But if it is a good solid driver and plan to use it and not abuse it, I would probably go for it too.

My tractor is a '59 John Deere. Although not a show tractor, I'm not afraid to push a little snow with it. Does a machine good for a little work out now and then, lol.

The worse thing about snow plowing, in my opinion, is road salt. If you can avoid the salt, like I do, that would be big plus.

If you go for it, I would just try it with weight in the back. If you need extra help, you could always add the chains later. If you do find that you need chains, try a truck parts supplier. The negative with chains is they can mark your asphalt.

Keep us posted on it.

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; Fri Dec 25 2020 05:36 AM.

'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
BlackViking60 #1389781 Fri Dec 25 2020 01:29 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
You would think, up in your part of the country, used snow plows would be quite plentiful. There is little doubt you will have to fabricate the mounts. Maybe you will get lucky and just have to tweak what comes with the plow. Good luck.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

BlackViking60 #1389825 Fri Dec 25 2020 07:37 PM
B
Camp Commandant
As others have already stated, the salt and brine they are putting on the roads are the biggest negative of snow removal.
But, that is not an issue for your plan. Check on Craigslist. There are plenty of used plows out there you could probably
cobble something together out of for your application. Some brackets, a little welding and wiring and I think you could have something very useful.
https://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/d/oxford-curtis-snow-plow/7242324002.html

I plowed snow for over 35 years and never had significant abnormal issues in regards to wear and tear from plowing, just from the salt. My '94 was rusting down around the frame but still ran like a top.

Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
Exotic Animal Division

1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton COE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q26XBoHtZH8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pj1WsnppKFAgAnvZ7

1959 GMC 860
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zu3Uf7Z7qocTGJvA9

50 GMC 450 Flatbed W/W, Air Brake equipt (25% Owner)
https://youtu.be/Alw3UWzqFVU

1950 Chevrolet 3800
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNCZiHK9QGyBs5Ko7

“ I’ve got a trailer and I’m not afraid to use it! “
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop