The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (55 SHAKER, D B Cooper, 48bigtrucks, DennisM, campbell45, Chev4t6, 1 invisible), 165 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,583
Posts988,944
Members44,491
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Oil Leak Root Cause
58NAPCO3600 #1389565 Wed Dec 23 2020 05:00 PM
D
Shop Shark
With crows foot you can use the flat method for torque

DADS50 #1389592 Wed Dec 23 2020 10:18 PM
P
AD Addict
Originally Posted by DADS50
With crows foot you can use the flat method for torque
Please elaborate.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 #1389636 Thu Dec 24 2020 04:16 AM
Shop Shark
Ok after taking in all of the details posted, I have a method in planning to attack the soot in tail pipe, black dribble under the intake manifold and gas smell thru-out the garage with the oil bath air cleaner off...
finish cleanup of the filter unit of the oil bath, let it dry out.
unscrew and remove the cap off the top of the carb; clean out any gas debris in the bowl, jets and float. Hopefully the gasket will survive dis-assembly and re-assemble.
Clean out the glass bowl of the gas filter and gas filter.
This should take care of gas supply issues
torque the manifold bolts using the 'feel method with wrench' after setting the ones closest to the middle with torque wrench, may see what this feels like with the torque wrench and the crows foot head. (I feel really dumb, not thinking of using the Snap-on set that I found at a yard sale in a dirt-filled box)
Check torque of head bolts using the normal torque wrench, flat crows foot/calculated method and weld-on end/bent wrench method from HR
I'm going to use the oil bath air cleaner for the test runs, it should be clean, dry and ready for use by the time I get all of the other tasks completed. Plan to use straight 30 weight oil to the fill line.
I'm going to install new plugs and replace the coil. The plug wires look great, the coil is strangely covered in oil.
I have three rainy days ahead here in North Carolina, I should have it all ready to go when the sun comes back out again.

1958 Chevrolet 3600 NAPCO 4x4 Apache
"Calvin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket
58NAPCO3600 #1390088 Mon Dec 28 2020 01:58 AM
Shop Shark
I was able to complete:
- head bolt torque check; they were spot on
- intake / exhaust bolt check. Set to specs in manual, used crows foot setup
- installed new plugs, used 14mm x 1.25SAE tap to clean out the threads. The old plugs were a mess, gap was not right, some were really short on the arc, all were really sooty.
Set new R43 AC plugs to .035 and put a small drop of anti seize on the start of threads, torqued them to 25 Ft/lbs
- Cleaned out base of air filter, filled with a pint of 50 weight oil (per manual suggestion, i'm glad I checked it)
- Installed new coil
- Was able to remove the deposit under the intake port, it will be interesting to see if it re-appears
-Decided not to dig into the carb just yet
- cleaned off all oil deposit on underside of chassis and body from the engine vent tube
- oil filter cannister is now painted medium blue (sourced at Ace Hardware) AC waterless decal did NOT stay adhered to the lid, I sprayed the lid Chevy orange, let it season out a week at 73 degrees (inside house), lid was warm when I applied the decal. The ringed decal stayed on about 10 minutes when i took it out to the garage. It felt like no adhesive on it.
Engine started very quickly, ran very smooth. Road test to occur tomorrow.

1958 Chevrolet 3600 NAPCO 4x4 Apache
"Calvin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop