The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
More great reading ...

Check this out!

Refueling the Past

Our very own
Archie
“46 Texaco”
Bentz

has a #1 ranked (on Amazon) book on Automotive History!

See link below for image.

REFUELING
THE
PAST

Find all the details here.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (EdPruss, 1956_GMC_630, 3B, Cletus1950, 3 invisible), 160 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics123,959
Posts1,000,366
Members44,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The alternative condenser update
Jon G #1388899 Fri Dec 18 2020 07:34 PM
H
'Bolter
The simplest approach is to just put a corkscrew twist in the wire to shorten it a bit and keep it from rubbing on the housing or getting against the moving point spring. Also, the insulated conductor on most commercial condensers is made from high-flex wire similar to the test leads on a voltmeter to allow them to move repeatedly without getting metal fatigue in the wire strands. That's also a good idea on the wire from the coil to the distributor housing on a stovebolt, since the housing is in motion all the time.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Jon G #1388903 Fri Dec 18 2020 08:03 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Good tip Jerry. Years ago I ran across a friend who was dead on the side of the road in his Jeep Cherokee. I opened the hood to do some troubleshooting and discovered he had no spark. Digging further, found that the condenser wire had shorted just like you described. Rerouted it away from the housing as a temporary fix and he was able to get home.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Jon G #1388911 Fri Dec 18 2020 09:04 PM
H
'Bolter
What's really frustrating is when that short is intermittent- - - - -the engine starts and idles OK, but as soon as the vacuum advance starts to move, the bare spot contacts the housing. The result is a stutter exactly like the ignition is being switched off and back on repeatedly. If disconnecting the vacuum advance line either stalls the engine or makes the problem go away, start looking for a shorted wire, or one with strands broken under the insulation that open circuit intermittently as the breaker plate moves. Mid-1960's Ford V8's used to be notorious for getting fatigued wire strands between the distributor housing grommet and the points!
Jerry

Jon G #1389022 Sat Dec 19 2020 03:56 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
Awesome work on this Jon! We have been discussing on VCCA Chat and glad to see the work you have done. Yep, even the purists don't want the overseas junk and these condensers have caused even calm guys like Tiny to pull out his hair.

There are indeed very good capacitors on the market that will work very reliably as a replacement. They just don't look and mount the same as a condenser and you have done a great job making them fit this application. Fantastic legwork on these!

The cheap condensers available remind me of Dollar Store items - made to look like something useful but comprised of junk materials.

Great work Jon!

Jon G #1389048 Sat Dec 19 2020 05:49 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks...I've sold the ones I made first, but when time allows I'll make more. Sort of hard to judge demand & interest. I thought about hiding the capacitor in a thin walled aluminum tube, but it isn't easy to find those in the USA. Once upon a time they were made for several things (including fluorescent ballasts), but I guess those days are gone. The nice thing is you don't see this item, so nobody will know it has been altered.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1389180 Sun Dec 20 2020 08:24 PM
'Bolter
Just a thought, we have a company in the county that employs the developmentally disabled to manufacture simple items. If you have an outfit like that where you live you may be able to contract with them to put these together for you and sell a higher volume. The outfit here could easily cut the wire to a given length, crimp a split flag terminal on one end and solder the other end to the capacitor. It would lower your profit per item but vastly increase the number of items produced all while taking the burden of production off of you. The disabled working here put out very high quality items. It's a matter of great pride to them.

Last edited by Tiny; Sun Dec 20 2020 08:26 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Jon G #1389192 Sun Dec 20 2020 09:38 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
We have the same type of setup in OKC.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Jon G #1389223 Mon Dec 21 2020 01:00 AM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Those are very good suggestions and I imagine the same thing exists here. Once I get a feel for the demand, I may well pursue something along those lines.

Along another line, Jerry courteously reminded me these probably will find their way into other distributors and of course those won't operate in a fixed floor manner (like the Stovebolt distributor does). Here is an example of a note which will accompany each condenser shipment. If you see any errors or think I should add anything please let me know.

Attached Files
Advanced Design Condenser notes.pdf (99.54 KB, 56 downloads)

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1389270 Mon Dec 21 2020 04:07 PM
H
'Bolter
Looks good, Jon! Since vacuum advance systems (and distributors in general) are pretty much obsolete, a lot of people simply won't think about keeping the wiring away from moving parts. My grandson is making his living as a full time mechanic, mostly doing suspension work and wheel alignment right now, but I'm surprised frequently about his lack of "common sense" knowledge of how to deal with the older cars and trucks. I suppose if you didn't grow up around the older rigs, what used to be common knowledge isn't so common anymore!
Jerry

Jon G #1389317 Mon Dec 21 2020 08:16 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
'Bolter
Thanks Jerry. Common knowledge is largely held in cottage industries today...

Jon

T5 with 3.07 rear end
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop