The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (Phak1, Brian Wise, Gary1952, MPandC, glenns towing, 1 invisible), 168 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,195
Posts980,260
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pic for Jerry ... :)
#1385484 Sun Nov 22 2020 04:45 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Sorry, If we could attach images to PM's, you wouldn't all have to be a party to this.

This is to illustrate a private joke/sad commentary between HRL and myself ...

Jerry ... to my point..... hehehehehehe (evil, maniacal laughter)

chug

Attached Files
DSC_0023.JPG (392.47 KB, 360 downloads)

John
"Paul! Klaatu barada nikto. KLAATU BARADA NIKTO!!!!"

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Pic for Jerry ... :)
John Milliman #1385494 Sun Nov 22 2020 06:36 PM
D
Shop Shark
Ok you got me, from saving the world in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" to this photo of a Snap On Truck ..whatever's going on between you and Jerry, you caught my interest. Now, back to the refinish, restore, refurbish or whatever you call this insanity.

Ronnie
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in hell"
John Milliman #1385496 Sun Nov 22 2020 07:09 PM
H
Boltergeist
We used to threaten to list the the Snap-On guy as a a "dependent" at income tax time- - - - -some of us spent almost as much with him every week as we did to feed out kids! There's nothing like rolling up to the shop once a week with a truckload of goodies that make it easier to beat the flat rate time on a particular job to put the old vacuum cleaner to a billfold!!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
John Milliman #1385499 Sun Nov 22 2020 07:21 PM
T
Shop Shark
Only bought one 3\4 ring open ended spanner from snap on about 25 years ago and it cost 45 Australian dollars had to cut my own proto one to do a job so that’s was the replacement

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
John Milliman #1385502 Sun Nov 22 2020 07:31 PM
D
Shop Shark
Ah, Snap on. The tools of the gods. I remember a lesson in finance given to me by the owner of a company I worked for back in 1976 , when he found out that I'd signed an "agreement" with Snap On for a payroll deduction for tools and a tool box to use . This was back in the days when "if" you got called into the company presidents office it was only because you'd done something really good or really bad. Anyway, he lectured me on the interest cost and explained how much money I was really paying for those tools. When he completed the lecture he told me he was paying off the tools and would take his money back, via weekly payroll deduction, over some period of months, interest free. I walked out of there relieved and also learned that "the old man" actually did care about his employees. I stayed with that company until it sold in 1990 and with the company that purchased it until 2019. I still have most of those tools.

Ronnie
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in hell"
John Milliman #1385507 Sun Nov 22 2020 08:01 PM
H
Boltergeist
One of the perks students at the state trade school where I taught got from Snap-On was the opportunity to purchase a "starter" set of tools at a 50% discount. That fishing expedition set the hook for a career-long financial commitment to the friendly guy in the tool truck, just like the drug pusher on the street corner giving a potential new customer a "free" sample! No question they're good tools, but like Ronnie says, the real profit for the company is the interest rate on that line of credit!
Jerry

John Milliman #1385520 Sun Nov 22 2020 09:44 PM
G
Shop Shark
Had an uncle that used to drive a Snap-On truck. He said it felt like driving an armored car. Worst part was collecting from the mechanics that made "regular" payments. He told the story of telling a mechanic it was time he addressed his account that it had been awhile since he had made a payment. The mechanic walked over to his toolbox and pulled out a hunting knife and started "wiping it down" saying he was a little short this month. Doug was a gun guy and pulled pistol from his truck and started "wiping it down" and said he really needed a payment. Doug got his money.

John Milliman #1391219 Mon Jan 04 2021 05:20 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
My pal runs a Snap On truck and I always bug him about selling Canadian Tire tools. He gets so bloody mad. I kind of like my old Sears Craftsman set and the other CDN Tire Mastercraft tools I buy. I can still get free replacements in a lot of them. Not Snap On, but I’ve only replaced 1 ratchet in 20 years on that Craftsman. Plus, it doesn’t help the ratchet when you’ve occasionally used it as a hammer.

I am going to try to replace my 5year old MasterCard die grinder. Wish me luck!

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
John Milliman #1391222 Mon Jan 04 2021 06:07 AM
H
Boltergeist
The old saying used to be "Snap-On tools break- - - - -Craftsman tools wear out!" I've got a permanent reminder of a Craftsman 9/16" socket I borrowed from a guy late one night- - - - -when I pulled hard on a bolt, the bell-mouthed socket slipped off and I smacked myself in the mouth with the ratchet- - - -Hello, tooth crown! That was in the late 1970's- - - -the crown has been there ever since!
Jerry

John Milliman #1391245 Mon Jan 04 2021 02:50 PM
P
AD Addict
Snap-on tools are tops in the industry. Are they worth the price? If you’re in the business, I think they are well worth the price. Snap on sockets and box/combo wrenches get into places that a Craftsman or other similar company's tools will not due, to their thinness. The smooth feel of a snap-on wrench when pulling hard just feels better then pulling on a Craftsman. They are made of better quality steel so they can be made thinner.

Now don’t get me wrong, I still love my Craftsman tools. My first tool box was a Sears Craftsman mechanics tool kit and I still have most of those tools today. I have a few Snap-on tools in my box and worked with them all of my career so I have first hand experience. Snap-on tools are in a class of their own.

I never got involved in the credit portion of the company, so I have no opinion to share.

That being said, as a retired tinker’r, I can’t afford the cream of the crop so I buy Craftsman, Husky, Rigid, or whatever seems like a decent tool for a decent price.

Last edited by Phak1; Mon Jan 04 2021 02:51 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop