The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Grandpa C., Jon G, fonz8261, 3100Cummins, 2 invisible), 273 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,501
Posts974,061
Members43,945
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dome light wired backwards?
#1385403 Sat Nov 21 2020 11:30 PM
T
Shop Shark
Ok, so I have been slowly replacing all the chewed up wires in mt 62 GMC 3/4 ton, (cab was so full of rat poops that it was up to the dash) I'm pretty close to having it all going just need to finish fuel gauge and brake lights, blinkers, and dome.

The wire for the dome light was pretty much gone so I ran new wires up to it but was not sure what wire went to what side and figured I got a 50/50 shot. hooked it all up and hit the switch, but nothing. I then flipped the bulb around and it lit up but with the dimmer in the off position. I figured I had the wires backwards, so I swapped them around, and flipped the bulb again, and same thing happened just this time the bulb had to be put in correctly to light up (with switch still in off position).

I left it that way for 2-3 days with the switch in the on position (with the light off). This morning when I went out to the truck for round 2 the battery was was almost all the way dead, it just cranked over 1 time then nothin'.
I have it on the trickle charger now and will start again this evening.

No combo of swapping things around got the dimmer to work correctly it's only on in the off position and when I roll through the dimmer nothing happens.

The bulb is a LED DC-12 error free 3 SMD 42mm dome trunk cargo area light. seemed to fit well and lit nice and bright just in the wrong position.

Would this be a problem at the switch itself? I know the PO methed up the wiring quite a bit before the rats got to it all. (some of the intact wiring was really weird with alot of "extras" like 3 horns and 4 antennas 2 blinker switches doubles of most gauges and brake lights that ran separate from the original tail lights that appeared to be from a trailer) The rest of the switch functions properly with all other lights working (besides blinker and brake)

I would not be surprised it the wiring at the switch was backwards, but it does not appear to wired by the PO as his stuff was pretty obvious. Although the switch appears to have stock wiring he may have just done a better job that time.

62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Re: Dome light wired backwards?
TerenceandMary #1385407 Sat Nov 21 2020 11:47 PM
Shop Shark
The dome light has 12volts hot to it all the time, the door switches and dash dimmer ground the other wire to complete the circuit. It sounds like you have a short to ground and that is keeping the lite on, also draining the battery if the hot is shorted.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
TerenceandMary #1385408 Sun Nov 22 2020 12:00 AM
T
Shop Shark
That makes perfect sense, when I connected it all I left a section of original wiring coming off the back of the dome light and down towards the fuel tank, I didn't want to remove the dome light itself and risk damaging the brittle bits of it. I would imagine that even though its a slim fit a rat must have squeezed up there and chewed a spot in there that's grounding out against the cab.

I will remove the entire dome light and run brand new wires through the whole deal. I hadn't been leaving any original wiring in place if any section of it was damaged except for this and now I know why.

TerenceandMary #1385505 Sun Nov 22 2020 07:50 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
So you are aware, almost all L.E.D. bulbs are polarity sensitive.

TerenceandMary #1385513 Sun Nov 22 2020 09:03 PM
T
Shop Shark
I figured as much, that's why when I thought I crossed the wires I flipped the bulb.

I'm scared of breaking the tabs that hold the dome light itself in the cab, I was able to un-clip one of them with some light wiggling and soft tab pushing. sprayed some oil on it and let it sit overnight, will try to get it the rest of the way off without breaking those tabs off.

TerenceandMary #1385558 Mon Nov 23 2020 01:15 AM
T
Shop Shark
Well, I pulled the wires and dome light out, hooked it up the new wires (took a minute to figure out which orange wire was what but a small piece of the ribbed/plain wire stuck in the old plug helped out along with a wiring diagram I got here). hooked up the light itself to the wires before install to make sure I do it right the first time, and it responds same as before. I used a test light on the wires as well (so i don't have to worry about the aforementioned polarity of the LED light) but to no avail. Same results all around.

Looking at the switch itself it seems untouched, sometimes it has the occasional flicker of the headlights but a light wiggle stops that. So I don't think that my problem is there.

My fuse block however is a different story, I think the problem could be closer to here. I have noticed some damage to it but it seemed minor mostly (except for the spot light fuse).

As I follow the ribbed/plain black wire from the light itself it goes to the 3 pin connector below the fuse block I think one orange wire goes to the fuse block, and the other orange wire goes behind the fuse block and up to the switch. there is a third white wire coming from behind the fuse block along side the 2 orange ones, so now I'm a bit confused.

What is it I'm missing here? it grounding out made sense and the wire wasn't pretty, but with that replaced I would think my problem would have gone, along with that wire.

Attached Files
20200605_1140242.jpg (196.68 KB, 135 downloads)

TerenceandMary #1385636 Mon Nov 23 2020 09:53 PM
T
Shop Shark
I will try to remove the fuse block later and see whats goin' on behind it. I have a strong feeling that I must be grounding out back there.
While I'm back there I wanted to check the back of the male tab for the fuel gauge, I was reading F all the time then I replaced the grounds at gauge and sender and now I'm always on E even with full tank.

does anything on the fuse block look altered or non-original?

TerenceandMary #1385703 Tue Nov 24 2020 03:39 AM
Shop Shark
Think about replacing that LED with a regular bulb. LED's draw so little current that you can get real strange errors in older slightly corroded automotive circuits that are designed for amps, not milliamps. Also check that you have the not hot wire from the dome light going to the correct terminal on your switch.

Mark

TerenceandMary #1385707 Tue Nov 24 2020 04:44 AM
T
Shop Shark
I used a regular bulb as well with the same results. Also cleaned the tabs the bulb makes contact with.
I will take a closer look at the switch and chase some wires with the diagram tomorrow or the next day, I have looked at it and all the colors matched up to the diagram but both wires for the dome are orange so I will need to chase that down.
Only reason I thought it was coming from the fuse block is because I don't have blinkers at the moment or brake lights (although my tail lights do work), but some of the under bed wiring was obviously altered over the years as well as the blinker mechanism so those may all be separate issues.

TerenceandMary #1385792 Wed Nov 25 2020 12:48 AM
T
Shop Shark
Ok, so I followed the wires down and saw that at the plug with the 2 orange a 1 white (or natural).
White (or natural) goes up to the top of the switch on the drivers side. (terminal 7 on the switch)(this is the wire that at the 3 pin connector turns into the ribbed black wire).
The 2 orange wires lead up to the bottom of the switch on the passengers side closest to the driver. (terminal 6 on the switch)(wire at 3 pin turns from 2 orange to 1 plain black HOT)

From what I can tell it is wired properly and all the wires are intact and not grounding out that I can see.

I also grounded out the black ribbed wire (while using a non LED bulb).
With the switch in the Off position the light was on before grounding and brighter after grounding.
With the switch in the On position the light was off before grounding and on after grounding.

Attached Files
1963GMCwiringdome2.jpg (85.73 KB, 57 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop