The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (canadiantim, dougs, Hotrod Lincoln, 3 invisible), 212 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,215
Posts980,449
Members44,177
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brake Master Cylinder sticks
#1382854 Fri Oct 30 2020 07:50 PM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
Shop Shark
It probably been 3 or 4 years but I replaced the master cylinder. 3\4 ton 53 Chevy Truck. Last year I did some major replacement of the brakes and rear end which has nothing to do with this. I just don't know how long this has been going on, 2 or more years. My brakes now work fine, but when I release the brake pedal it does not retract fully so I have to pull it back and it snaps back fully.
Today I finally got beneath it with my son helping above I found the issue. I removed the boot from around the brake rod in the front and saw that the packing at the end must catch something, when my son pulled the brake pedal back fully I saw the pop come from the end packing (for no other words to call it). That little bit held back does not allow the brake light lever to close.
I guess I need a new master cylinder?
Has anyone else seen this before?
Thanks,

Glenn

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
Re: Brake Master Cylinder sticks
glennj3 #1382859 Fri Oct 30 2020 08:21 PM
Master Gabster
There shouldn’t be any ‘packing”. All you should see is the seat for the rod on the back end of piston assembly.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
glennj3 #1382865 Fri Oct 30 2020 08:50 PM
J
Shop Shark
Glenn, it sounds to me like the rod connecting your pedal to the brake arm needs adjustment. This is a very common cause of the pedal not returning far enough to switch off the brake light sensor. I think you'll need two 5/8" two 11/16" wrenches. Position the rod so that it sits right in the center of the hole in the floorboard. Also check the brake arm return spring. Occasionally I've seen those go weak, but not very often.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
glennj3 #1382914 Sat Oct 31 2020 02:39 AM
G
glennj3 Offline OP
Shop Shark
The return springs seem fine. If I pull the spring from below the truck it will not push the brake up any further.
I’ll look at it again but I don’t believe adjusting the rod will help.
The entire end that has a lock spring in place with the rod protruding locks & pops out when I pull the brake pedal up that last inch or so.
Thanks.

1953 Chevy 153A, 3/4 ton, 4 stick in the floor. Not original engine, has a strait 6 chevy engine with a Ford Carburetor.
glennj3 #1382962 Sat Oct 31 2020 04:26 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Sounds like he is describing the piston and internal snap ring.

glennj3 #1384103 Tue Nov 10 2020 09:17 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
I can think of 2 possibilities.
1) The master cylinder bore has corrosion or dirt in it so there is resistance to the piston travel when it tries to retract. This can happen if brake fluid is not flushed every couple of years especially if the vehicle is not used frequently.
20 The vent port in the fill plug is blocked. When the piston retracts that returning fluid has to flow into the reservoir. If the vent is plugged it creates some pressure in the reservoir.

Rusty

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop