The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (KEVINSKI, FrankenChevy, KevinW, chirpy, d49chevy, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,506
Posts1,032,024
Members45,793
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Breaking bad...bolts or, How to become unscrewed
tom moore #1383455 Wed Nov 04 2020 05:57 PM
M
New Guy
For a while, I used PB40, use it for general stuff now. I started using heat and melting candle wax into the threads (like the beeswax above), tighten just slightly, then loosen and a tad more wax into the threads and have yet to break on off or damage the threads. Downside is it only works if you can get the candle to threads. If it's in a blind hole with no threads showing, not much I've had luck with other that heat the wee out of area around offending fastener, then place some dry ice on head of bolt before trying to tighten, then loosen. Usually end up snapping the bolt off and drilling it at that point.

tom moore #1383457 Wed Nov 04 2020 06:26 PM
M
'Bolter
Many, (including moi) feel the best stuck bolt buster is Kroil. And yes I use the homemade version of 50% transmission fluid/50% acetone. Procedure is spray, wait, spray, wait....repeat. Then a day or two later, smack with a hammer if possible, then tighten a bit, loosen a bit, tighten again, then, well you get the idea. If no luck, then bring on the heat and if the area allows don't be afraid to get the nut red and loosen asap.

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Wed Nov 04 2020 06:39 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

tom moore #1383459 Wed Nov 04 2020 06:40 PM
Mixed Up
Nut busters also work good on some applications.
We had hydraulic ones that would bust a nut off a 2+ inch stud. No damage to the threads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8g-EDEUd7Q

Don

Edit: One more for the medium size nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU1LXvlCvmI

Last edited by 2-Ton; Wed Nov 04 2020 06:45 PM.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
tom moore #1383513 Thu Nov 05 2020 04:25 AM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
My biggest headache is not rusted bolts and nuts- - - -it's pistons that are frozen into rusty cylinders. I usually give them a good soak for several days or even weeks with KROIL, followed by the application of a rosebud torch. As a last resort, I use a big hole saw in a variable-speed drill motor to cut a plug out of the top of the piston and allow the perimeter to shrink away from the cylinder walls. A few aluminum pistons bring more pocket change at the recycler than several trash bins full of beer and soda cans!
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
tom moore #1383555 Thu Nov 05 2020 06:13 PM
D
'Bolter
In the past I made the 50/50 mixture and put in a small oil can (vented w/a hand pump). I didn't use for months. When I went back to it it seemed like the Acetone evaporated. Has anyone else had this? My fault for using a vented container.

tom moore #1383626 Fri Nov 06 2020 08:19 AM
T
'Bolter
A sealed container will reduce the enol form to less than 7% because It forms a hydrazone with phenyl hydrazine and an oxime with hydroxylamine. Furthermore like most ketones, acetone exhibits the keto–enol tautomerism in which the nominal keto structure (CH3) 2C=O of acetone itself is in equilibrium with the enol isomer (CH3)C(OH)=(CH2) (prop-1-en-2-ol).

In acetone vapor at ambient temperature, only 2.4×10−7% of the molecules are in the enol form. Yet the enol form is chemically important in chemical reactions and freeing a stuck ring or bolt. One might expect acetone to also form polymers and (possibly cyclic) oligomers of two types. In one type, units could be acetone molecules linked by ether bridges –O– derived by from the opening of the double bond, to give a polyketal-like (PKA) chain [–O–C(CH3)2–]n. The other type could be obtained through repeated aldol condensation, with one molecule of water removed at each step, yielding a poly(methylacetylene) (PMA) chain [CH=C(CH3)–]n. This is the reason why repetitive hydration’s are required on a stuck bolt or piston ring. I sometimes find myself losing patience when I observe a rate greater than 2.4x10-7% molecule dissipation in the enol form. We work hard for our money. And to see that? How much more can a person take?! Very unsettling.

But keep in mind that a baggy can help slow this reduction phenomenon but a baggy is only as good in temperate climates where the ambient temperature links hydrocarbons in basic trisomuble properties to that of local atmospheric conditions not to mention contaminates from outside sources. Press seal baggies are the preferred choice than the fold over type. All of us make choices and need to decide if limiting enol forms is worth the effort. I for one sleep easier at night knowing this. But it’s your choice if you continue to use a vented dispenser system. There is a loyal following for these to be sure and those types tend to congregate in social structures worthy of mention here (most of us on this site have this in common). If confronted with the loss of acetone in his oiler back in his day, Shakespeare would have asked the same: “to limit enol forms or not, that is the question”

Last edited by tom moore; Fri Nov 06 2020 01:36 PM.
Re: Breaking bad...bolts or, How to get unscrewed
tom moore #1383628 Fri Nov 06 2020 10:40 AM
Mixed Up
What did Tom say?????????????? ohwell ohwell ohwell
eeeek

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
tom moore #1383636 Fri Nov 06 2020 01:28 PM
T
'Bolter
I started in on a rant, but pulled it back to stay on topic. Apologies.

tom moore #1383637 Fri Nov 06 2020 01:34 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
ohwell

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) “Emily”
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe “Clarence”

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

tom moore #1383649 Fri Nov 06 2020 04:51 PM
S
Shop Shark
On a more serious note, since I mentioned heat as a next step in a post that was mentioning the use of Acetone (a highly flammable solvent) and we are talking about Acetone vapors, I felt a need to mention the dangers of Acetone. I am sure most everyone here knows this but it never hurts to make sure.

One of my wife's best friend's husbands was severely burned and almost lost his life when he was working in his shop and unplugged an extension cord which resulted in an explosion. He was removing some carpet with a highly flammable solvent. He also had safety training where he worked, so he was very familiar with the dangers of flammable solvents. (He just made an almost fatal mistake.) This happened several years ago and he is still recuperating and lucky to be alive.

Shortly after that I purchased an explosive gas alarm for my shop as a precaution.

Phillip

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop