The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (Harold41, Jimmie D, Cosmo, 3 invisible), 186 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,178
Posts980,038
Members44,165
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Slight engine vibration
#1382824 Fri Oct 30 2020 04:37 PM
L
LeeD Offline OP
Shop Shark
When I started up this morning I could feel a funny vibration that I had not noticed before. The rpm was up a little as it was still cold, and I could feel a rythmic vibration that would last about 2 seconds, then go away for about 4 seconds. Not sure if this is related, but since I have had the truck, there is a slight vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel that slowly gets worse until at about 40MPH, what sounds like a piece of sheet metal vibrating starts up and then goes away at about 45 MPH. The vibration in the steering wheel continues to increase, and at this speed, I can now feel it in the dash. The generator was overhauled about 2 years ago; the water pump and harmonic balancer are of unknown age. I watched the front of the engine and reved it up and down some and nothing looks loose, and it all sounds good. Right now it is not bad and does not bother me. I spend most of my time at about 40mph anyway, so it is not too noticeable. But if this is a sign of maybe a component on its way out, it would be nice to get it fixed before it fails.
Thanks, Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
Re: Slight engine vibration
LeeD #1382832 Fri Oct 30 2020 05:34 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Tire tread separations. I know this doesn’t take into account “sheet metal vibrating” but it could account for vibration at different speeds. Good luck.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

LeeD #1382837 Fri Oct 30 2020 05:51 PM
H
Boltergeist
A tire won't cause vibrations on startup. I'd suggest loosening or removing the fan belt on a cold start to see if the shake is internal or external. A slightly bent fan blade can cause some oddball harmonics at various engine and/or vehicle speeds, and some types of tires can develop flat spots when they sit for extended periods of time- - - -the dreaded "nylon thump" that early synthetic cord tires used to have. I've seen those things have teeth-rattling shakes for 5 miles or more on a cold day!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
LeeD #1382856 Fri Oct 30 2020 07:58 PM
L
LeeD Offline OP
Shop Shark
I’ll try removing the belt next time I run it; that will eliminate the pump, fan, and generator if the vibration is still there. The tires where replaced when I got the truck, so only about 4 years old and not very many miles. Though a bad tire from the factory is still a bad tire.
Lee

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop