The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (Phak1, panel fan, dirtball, Justhorsenround, EdPruss, 1 invisible), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,129
Posts979,673
Members44,158
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Painting strategy
#1381694 Wed Oct 21 2020 08:53 PM
R
New Guy
This is my first project, I have a 1950 chev 3100 all in pieces as I have sand blasted everything, still have some work to do on cab and frame. Some parts I used a spray bomb self etch primer after sand blasting but most parts are in my garage here in BC Canada with no signs yet of flash rusting (nothing blasted more than six months ago) . I have an attached garage so not sure if I should vent it and create a make shift paint area or rent out a spray booth, or perhaps create one somewhere else on my 3/4 acre property. Problem with the spray booth rental is the number of parts and the time to complete. I have replaced some of the sheet metal with patch panels and still have some more bondo work to do. My question is am I better off to re-assemble then take to a paint booth or try painting one piece at a time. I have never painted before but would like to learn.

Re: Painting strategy
Rick Brown #1381702 Wed Oct 21 2020 09:18 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I personally would avoid trying to paint in an attached garage, especially if you're using paint with hardener which typically contains cyanide compounds. The other issue is dust that probably exists in you garage from doing any metal work and sanding bondo, which is going to get in the paint. It probably isn't a big deal for primer coats, but you definitely don't want dust in your finish coats. I know that everything in my garage is coated with dust.
You also need to be concerned with temperature control. Winter's here for me and painting season is over, except maybe for a little primer work here and there in the garage. I don't know how cold it's getting in your area, but a paint booth will probably need heat as well as ventilation.
As far as assembling first, I plan on painting major components separately.
I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Rick Brown #1381723 Wed Oct 21 2020 11:26 PM
Shop Shark
I would paint as many pieces one at a time as you can, you will get better coverage with the smaller sections and be able to protect edges and laps that would otherwise be bare steel if it is assembled. Save the final color coats for the assembled project.

1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 single speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto
Rick Brown #1381753 Thu Oct 22 2020 03:26 AM
Shop Shark
Maybe check with a trade school in your area. Take a class, learn to paint, use their facility.

Mark

59 fleet #1381768 Thu Oct 22 2020 07:12 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by 59 fleet
Maybe check with a trade school in your area. Take a class, learn to paint, use their facility.

Mark
That's an awesome idea. thumbs_up

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop