The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Brad Allen, 1Ton_tommy, 55 SHAKER, 3B, baldeagle, 1 invisible), 263 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,426
Posts973,542
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Headers for 235
JD1 #1381439 Mon Oct 19 2020 08:07 PM
H
Boltergeist
Converting a stock manifold to a split system and retaining the original heat riser is by far the most effective way to get dual exhausts that work- - - -sort of. It doesn't really improve performance, unless rattling windows a block away with harmonics is considered to be an "improvement"- - - - -but you'll create fewer problems that way. The trick is finding an old geezer welder who is good at welding cast iron. They're pretty scarce these days!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1381456 Tue Oct 20 2020 12:23 AM
J
JD1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Converting a stock manifold to a split system and retaining the original heat riser is by far the most effective way to get dual exhausts that work- - - -sort of. It doesn't really improve performance, unless rattling windows a block away with harmonics is considered to be an "improvement"- - - - -but you'll create fewer problems that way. The trick is finding an old geezer welder who is good at welding cast iron. They're pretty scarce these days!
Jerry

I have to say the stock manifold posted earlier really does look nice. My current single exhaust manifold works well with the "flapper". My performance is fine and I'm not looking for a performance gain but I do like the dual exhaust sound.

1951 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton (1957 235, 4 speed, 411 rear)
JD1 #1381461 Tue Oct 20 2020 12:58 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I would bet there is an old hotrod guy close by that knows exactly where to cut to make them and probably can weld or knows someone who can. Check around with your local car clubs.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

JD1 #1381479 Tue Oct 20 2020 03:12 AM
M
Wrench Fetcher
In the forum classifieds one of these single to split conversions show up from time to time.

'59 Apache
‘18 BMW R1200RT
'12 Ford Flex
'13 Aprilia Tuono
‘11 Ducati Hypermotard
Salisbury, MD
JD1 #1381482 Tue Oct 20 2020 03:46 AM
H
Boltergeist
The 235 Corvettes had a factory split manifold. Hotrodders bought thousands of them from Chevy parts departments, so there were a lot more manifolds than there were Corvettes.
Jerry

JD1 #1381494 Tue Oct 20 2020 10:45 AM
W
Master Gabster
I have a complete set up with dual carbs and water heat from Langdon's. No problems for 12 years. Also have not run an oil filter for the same length of time. I put about 3000 miles a year on it.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
JD1 #1381499 Tue Oct 20 2020 01:04 PM
G
Shop Shark
I am actually using Williams headers on a 261 with an 848 head and an oil filter. I did relocate the oil filter to the inner fender. Worked out pretty good. I didnt install any heat riser setup at all to the bottom of the intake. The exhaust is still rather quiet unless you thump on it. I think they are 30 inch glass pacs. I bought the whole kit from National Chevy. Included everything from the headers to tailpipes with hangers and clamps. Ive been running it for They Probably wont have a set up for application tho. Not using that restriction of an air cleaner anymore either.

Attached Files
IMG_20171017_144335754.jpg (231.47 KB, 118 downloads)
Last edited by glenns towing; Tue Oct 20 2020 01:05 PM.
JD1 #1381547 Tue Oct 20 2020 08:12 PM
D
Shop Shark
There are actually three ways to use a stock exhaust manifold in a split configuration, but as Jerry notes, you need someone who can braze up the cast iron. I am sure arc welding or maybe tig welding may also be a possibility but with so much carbon in the cast iron I would imagine you would have to weld like I dry wall, 5 pounds on and sand 4 off.

So method one is a true split where you are splitting the manifold and welding the ends shut or weld in a baffle that essentially shuts off half the manifold, weld the halves back together, and then add an additional outlet on the half that needs one. This will result is a true split with the true split sound.

Method two, split the manifold, weld in a baffle with say a 1 inch hole in the baffle, weld the halves shut and add an outlet to the side that needs an outlet. This type split results in a somewhat tamer sound.

Method three, just add an additional outlet. Not a true split but allows for dual exhaust and is the quietest of the three methods.

I have never actually had a vette exhaust manifold in my possession. Fentons and clifford tube headers so I do not know what the vette exhaust manifold is, true split or just an additional outlet.

I have run Clifford headers since the late 70s. I like tube headers so I put up with the issues that can arise with them. But if I had to choose today between the fentons and maybe splitting a stock exhaust, I might go with splitting the stock exhaust particularly if the choke butterfly was still functional in order to retain th4e stock carb and choke heat functions.

Last edited by Dragsix; Tue Oct 20 2020 08:13 PM.

Mike
JD1 #1381550 Tue Oct 20 2020 08:33 PM
H
Boltergeist
Splitting a stock manifold isn't impossible, but the welder definitely has to know what he's doing. It isn't necessary, or desirable to completely block off the halves of the manifold- - - -leaving a small gap to allow a pressure relief is best. With a thin cutoff wheel on a small angle grinder, a gap about 1/4" wide needs to be created in three sides of the manifold just ahead of the heat riser, and a piece of cast iron cut from a junk manifold is inserted, leaving maybe a 1/8" gap inside at the top where the manifold doesn't get cut. Grind the area to be welded down as smooth as possible for about 1/2" on both sides of the baffle and chamfer the edges a little. Now, use nickel-alloy welding rod to make about 1/2"-3/4" of weld bead, after preheating the manifold with a rosebud torch until it's almost, but not quite red. Stop welding and peen the bead for about 5 minutes with the pointy end of a slag hammer to stress-relieve the weld. Heat- - - -weld- - - -peen- - - -"rinse and repeat" until the whole baffle is welded into place. Post-heat the manifold, not quite as hot as the preheat and bury it in a pile of sand overnight to cool slowly. It's also a good idea to have the manifold bolted to a junk cylinder head, or at least a piece of thick steel plate to prevent warping while you're welding.

Once the baffle is welded in (and the weld bead didn't crack) use a hole saw to make a hole in the front of the manifold and weld another pipe flange on, using the same procedure you did to install the baffle. Have fun!

I found a roll of nickel-alloy wire for my MIG welder, so the next time I have an occasion to weld cast iron, I'm going to experiment a little to see if I can develop a procedure for using MIG instead of stick welding.
Jerry

JD1 #1381554 Tue Oct 20 2020 08:49 PM
P
Shop Shark
Here's the Corvette, notice the intake manifold heat provision.

Attached Files
235-Corvette-1.jpg (22.01 KB, 92 downloads)
Last edited by panic; Tue Oct 20 2020 08:53 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop