The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (EdPruss, EchoBravoSierra, DennisM, 55 SHAKER, 3B, GMCJammer51), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,197
Posts980,264
Members44,173
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Is someone making fun of me?
tclederman #1381312 Sun Oct 18 2020 10:49 PM
D
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by tclederman
There is a recent post that was locked down because it was about a car - nothing about a truck is in the post.
However, I hope it was not shut down because of name-calling.

The vehicle (car, I think) was referred-to as being bubbafied.
My guess is that "bubbafied" is an ageist/ethnic/geographic slur (in some people's' minds)?

Just so the original poster knows, my grandchildren call me "Bubba" (a long honored name in some places in the south). I took no offense. cool

So, my trucks have indeed been significantly and correctly Bubbafied (and I am proud of that)! thumbs_up

(And, this is not April Fool's Day - I will apologize in advance for this personal slur for many members, I would guess?) nanner

Tim, Maybe I missed it but was that post that got locked down within the Greasy Spoon or elsewhere on the site ? Within the boundaries you noted I would expect Bubba and other variations to be "ok" in just about all of the forums. On the "car" side of the issue , I have noticed where "cars" got kicked out of a forum because they were not "trucks" and I suppose that's appropriate. I have empathy for Moderators, they have a tough job sometimes.

Ronnie
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in hell"
tclederman #1381328 Mon Oct 19 2020 12:36 AM
W
Shop Shark
My wife's nickname is, "Aunt Bubba." While, it's not a flattering nickname, she would take no offense to anything being referred to as, "Bubbafied."

Now, given the context of how the particular slur was used, calling something ,"bubbafied," is the least offensive of any.

Last edited by Whitedog; Mon Oct 19 2020 12:37 AM.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
tclederman #1381394 Mon Oct 19 2020 02:29 PM
D
Shop Shark
Many of these terms are generation specifc in their offensiveness. I harmlessly made the mistake or referring to a "fix" on a truck as being "Rub Goldberged" I believed it to mean a creative solution. I was informed by someone they were very upset and I had offened them. The person was about 25 years older than me and my research did support that during WW II this was used to insult someone. I did applogize. Lesson learned.

Last edited by dgrinnan; Mon Oct 19 2020 02:30 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
tclederman #1381420 Mon Oct 19 2020 05:13 PM
Shop Shark
I have been told I was a Cobologist.
Meaning I can cob something up and make it work.
I take that as a compliment.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
tclederman #1381466 Tue Oct 20 2020 01:35 AM
Master Gabster
i, personally have not made fun of you ever. Not even when you tried to start your '54 burb before you figured out that you had "Carled" and forgot to turn the key on at the Tri-state Antique Truck show year before last. (I did snicker to myself a little, but that doesn't really count.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop