The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (Zeke510, Fox, Ted Skidmore, bigmacdaddy, 1 invisible), 171 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,365
Posts977,661
Members44,213
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shrinking and stretching using a hammer and pipe
#1379654 Mon Oct 05 2020 07:00 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
We were doing some basic metalshaping this weekend, and thought this would make a good instructional video.. We were making vent brackets for under the dash using a hammer and piece of pipe. Excuse the audio quality at the start, what you get for filming with an iPhone 6S. S stands for SUCKS... apparently the phone gets confused as to which of 3 microphones to use. We filmed the rest with a different phone..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrLanHAqaaY

I did have someone ask why we didn't just cut out the parts and weld the corner, instead of folding down a flange. When you place a weld on a corner, and for an example, lets say we are patching a lower fender right up to the door opening to repair some rust at the bottom of the fender.... you lose the ability to control the two perpendicular sides. Let's say you blow a hole and have to re-weld in a spot or two. More heat and shrinking is bound to pull at the panel, and now you are pulling inward in two directions. The weld seam directly in the corner makes it difficult at best to planish and control where the metal gets stretched to, IF you can even make headway on it. So you'll find that in addition to having low spots, you also have altered the door to fender GAP with little hope of fixing it without filler.. By shaping your panel as you want it, and then tipping a flange that carries the seam into the perpendicular side, the crease helps to hold things from moving. Place the weld seam far enough away from the corner that you can hammer and dolly. With the brackets we made Saturday, this was easy as we just used the pipe once again, this time to planish the TIG weld once completed.

Re: Shrinking and stretching using a hammer and pipe
MPandC #1379659 Mon Oct 05 2020 07:34 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Cool video, as usual Robert. Thanks for the tips.

Who's the guy watching in the background from about 1 -3:45? Kind of an odd thing to have in a shop. headscratch

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1379660 Mon Oct 05 2020 07:44 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
He is a loathsome offensive brut. Yet I can't look away..

MPandC #1379687 Mon Oct 05 2020 11:53 PM
G
Shop Shark
I liked it. Learn something new everyday. But did anyone notice that way cool portrait of Kramer in the background? thumbs_up

Last edited by glenns towing; Mon Oct 05 2020 11:54 PM. Reason: missed a word
MPandC #1379688 Tue Oct 06 2020 12:17 AM
G
Shop Shark
Ha lol . Im dumb....lolol. i just realized that the last two posts were about the pic i mentioned. Classic. Nuttin gets past me, im quick... hahaha

MPandC #1379702 Tue Oct 06 2020 01:52 AM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
We'll take "The Kramer"

MPandC #1380083 Fri Oct 09 2020 12:29 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
We did another video last night on some basic shrinking for a flanged repair panel in a floor pan. Thought this may be another tip that would help out here as well..

My buddy Jeff Ford down in Aiken SC was working on installing a floor pan patch and had omitted the flange in the radius corner below the toe panel.

[IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/y167/rmccartney/IMG_8157.JPG[/IMG]

So in addition to busting his chops, we put together this video tutorial so he could do the next panel in one piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-R_kVKKBEI

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop