The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (68ironhead, Achipmunk, Bob Kirk, Alainfrenchie54, 32vsnake, Bolter Finally, 2 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,614
Posts1,005,764
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brake line fittings
#1378630 Sun Sep 27 2020 03:06 AM
Y
'Bolter
I'm working on a 53 3100, the PO had changed out the rear axle housing to open drive line. I picked up a set of 1952 pre-bent stainless steel brake lines, problem is the wheel cylinder ports are opposite of the pre-bent lines. Options, try to bend the brake lines to line up, or install 90 degree elbow fittings to make them line up? I'm assuming pre-bent tubes might present a problem, and finding the right fittings could be difficult. I'm open to suggestions.
Phil

Re: Brake line fittings
Yakimabowtie #1378664 Sun Sep 27 2020 02:01 PM
ODSS President
Any pictures?

Is the truck running, brake lines in place?

Is it a 1953 HOUSING with a 3.90 insert?

Are the parking brake lines connected?

If it is a Task Force HOUSING and you have Task Force Wheel Cylinders, those 1952 pre bent lines won't work. IF it's a truck with the TF axles and housing in place no brake lines fitted, the PO COULD have reversed the wheel cylinders.

More information and pictures needed.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rocinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Cosmo #1378678 Sun Sep 27 2020 04:38 PM
Y
'Bolter
Cosmo, think your on the mark. I believe it is a Task Force Housing, and if I swap the wheel cylinders side to side I can make it work. I will still have to tweak the lines some. I'll report my results. Thanks
Phil

Yakimabowtie #1378687 Sun Sep 27 2020 05:25 PM
ODSS President
I'm in the final stretch of doing this job. Easy to swap the wheel cylinders so they will 'look' towards the rear. If TF wheel cylinders, you will need to use a 1/4" to 1/8" reduction flare fitting to use that SS 1/4" brake line to those wheel cylinders. All will be revealed soon enough.

It's a great swap and well worth the effort. If you start losing your mind, pm me and I will talk you off the cliff ledge. In fact, if your backing plates have a SINGLE HOLE FOR THE PARKING BRAKE contact me and I will talk/picture you through a great solution to this dilemma.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rocinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

Cosmo #1378861 Tue Sep 29 2020 02:43 AM
Y
'Bolter
By swapping the wheel cylinders from one side to the other did help line up the brake lines. I still had to do some bending, but was able to make it work. Will finish up and bleed system tomorrow. Thanks for the information.
Phil

Yakimabowtie #1378883 Tue Sep 29 2020 01:25 PM
ODSS President
Great! What is your parking brake situation? Three holes or just a single hole in the backing plate?

Cosmo

Cosmo #1378939 Wed Sep 30 2020 01:03 AM
Y
'Bolter
If your referring to the hole for the park brake cable there's just one, I've already installed new cables. I don't do pictures, so can't show you anything. The biggest problem with the parking brake cables, was getting all the "slack" out. I made the mistake of ordering wrong park brake cables, should have ordered the ones for 55-59 instead of 51-55. Still in the dark on what axle housing is under the truck.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop