The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (52Carl, 32vsnake, 2ManyTrucks, Bellflower, 52Beastie, Cosmo), 142 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics122,602
Posts989,188
Members44,498
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1934-36 Chevy fuel pump
#1378595 Sat Sep 26 2020 11:18 PM
Y
yar Offline OP
Shop Shark
Have any of you figured out a way to straighten the part of the fuel pump casting bent down by over tightening the bail wire that secures the glass bowl without breaking the casting? The casting of one fuel pump I saved for internal parts is already irreparably cracked so just to see what would happen I tried bending a part of the casting cold and it broke like a piece of glass. Ferrous metals go through color changes with increasing heat so there are no surprises when heating it to form or weld it. Aluminum, however, forms an oxide when heated that has a higher melting temperature than the aluminum itself, concealing what the aluminum under the oxide is doing. The metallurgy of a fuel pump is a mystery to me so I don't know if it will become malleable when heated or what.

An option is leaving it bent and truing the inner surface that the glass bowl seats on using the milling machine and rotary table.

I've figured out a simple modification to strengthen the bail attachment area of the casting to prevent further bending. It's a barely noticeable, simple piece of aluminum flat bar bridging across the casting giving solid support to the bail attachment areas. With that piece of flat bar in place tightening the bail will not bend the casting.

If any of you amateur engineers/machinists/welders out there have any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them,

Ray W

Ray
Re: 1934-36 Chevy fuel pump
yar #1378603 Sun Sep 27 2020 12:21 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I haven't done it, but I think it was Carbking who figured out a method to straighten Rochester Carbs buy heating them in an oven with a fixture. I'll bet a similar method could be used for your fuel pump, being pot metal, just like the carbs.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
yar #1378606 Sun Sep 27 2020 12:29 AM
D
Shop Shark
The fuel pump casting is a zinc alloy, probably one of the ZAMAK alloys, in particular. Similar, if not the same as what is used in the carburetors. With heat, a jig, and patience, the castings can be straightened. There are threads in the forum on straightening the warped airhorn of Rochester B/BC carbs. Same principles should apply.

While I was typing this, Kevin's post appeared. LOL.

I believe Jon G is one of the forum experts. Here's one of his threads on straightening a Rochester carb airhorn that may help.

Doug

Last edited by drdoug; Sun Sep 27 2020 01:00 AM.
yar #1378633 Sun Sep 27 2020 03:50 AM
Y
yar Offline OP
Shop Shark
Kevin & Doug.

Thank you so much for steering me towards Jon's method. That is great information. My computer skills are lousy but I'm going to see if my wife will help me make a print version of both Jon's text and photos.

400 degrees seems to be the target temperature. I wonder what the most practical way is to know the temperature inside my table top propane BBQ?

Thanks again guys!

Ray W

Ray
yar #1378635 Sun Sep 27 2020 04:01 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I knew, I'd seen that thread somewhere. Doug is the guy for tracking it down. thumbs_up
And it was the other Jon that posted it. blush

Might be a bit hard to regulate temp inside a BBQ, but you could check temp with a digital infrared thermometer.
Or you could just use your wife's oven when she's off somewhere. eeeek

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1378836 Mon Sep 28 2020 10:02 PM
D
Shop Shark
Thanks, Kevin.

Not wanting to risk the aftermath of using the kitchen oven, I picked up locally a mid-sized, used Blue-M lab oven a couple years ago. Not pretty, but it works. Interior shelves are 11" x 16" and the useable height is about 16". The temperature controller isn't calibrated, but set with a simple liquid-filled thermometer (the oven has a thermometer mounting clamp and hole in the top), it holds a stable temperature, up to 200 deg C (392 deg F). Good enough for casting work, but I mostly use it at 80 deg C to bake small to mid-size painted parts. Model SW-17TA. Very simple construction, and with some luck, can be found for $25-$50 from industrial surplus sellers. Mine needed the power cord replaced.

Attached Files
20200928_164920.jpg (283.42 KB, 34 downloads)
Last edited by drdoug; Tue Sep 29 2020 05:49 PM.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop