The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (D B Cooper, 46paneltruck, Cosmo, 6571, 2 invisible), 180 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,042
Posts970,390
Members43,823
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Valve Adjustment screws too short
rkworman #1378292 Thu Sep 24 2020 02:45 AM
H
Boltergeist
Were the valve guides replaced? Either the guides have been installed at the wrong angle, or somebody has made some huge mistakes assembling the rockers on the shafts. Thee are four different rocker arms on a stovebolt engine, with different angles, and possibly different lengths for intake and exhaust. I'm going to guess somebody has made some fundamental errors when putting the rockers on the shafts.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
rkworman #1378333 Thu Sep 24 2020 03:34 PM
D
Shop Shark
Where did the rocker set come from?

Mike
rkworman #1378463 Fri Sep 25 2020 10:38 PM
R
New Guy
Thank you for all the help.
I think I found the problem with my rocker arms. I have some intake rocker arms from an older 235 and some are from the newer 261. The exhaust are all correct. The intakes rocker arms that are correct have a 7 and an 8. The rocker arms that are not correct have a 4 and a 5 on them indicating they are from an older 235 engine. I'm going to see if I can find the correct rocker arms for this engine.

The engine I have is a 1958-61 261. I think when they rebuilt this engine they mixed and matched rocker arms from the original 1948 235. I know the engine was rebuilt because the cylinders were bored 40 over. This engine was rebuilt before I got the truck and I do not think it ran much because the bearings all looks new when I took them out. also other than two of the pistons where seized in the cylinder they were fine and still showed the crosshatch from the honing.

One other interesting note is the rings that where in the engine where not 40 over and the ring gap was really large.

The truck I'm restoring is a 1948 two ton stake bed.

Thanks again for your help!
Randy

rkworman #1378532 Sat Sep 26 2020 02:02 PM
P
AD Addict
You’ve got to be careful because Chevy made a design change in the rockers for ‘59. They opened up the restrictor and pressurized the rocker arm by offsetting the oil groove in the bore of the rocker arm. Thanks to chev235guy, you can read about it here. Rocker Evolution [chev235guy.blogspot.com]

Last edited by Phak1; Sat Sep 26 2020 02:03 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
rkworman #1378958 Wed Sep 30 2020 04:23 AM
R
New Guy
I went to a classic car wrecking yard here in Wendell and found a rocker arm assembly off a 1959 Chevy 261 and it is the correct rocker arms. I replaced the ones on my rocker arms that were not the correct numbers and now the valve alignment is better. Not perfect but better than what is was by a lot. The adjustment screws for the valve lash are correct now.

I'm going to finish assembling the engine and check the oil flow before I install it back in the truck.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop