The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (DennisM, baldilocks, J Lucas, 641Workmaster, 3 invisible), 177 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,042
Posts970,374
Members43,823
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: So you think you got problems.
52Carl #1378482 Sat Sep 26 2020 12:30 AM
B
General Purpose
Forgot smile smile smile

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

52Carl #1378488 Sat Sep 26 2020 01:18 AM
H
Boltergeist
I've experienced too many epic disasters of my own to ever give anybody else a hard time. One of the more memorable ones was a sudden intake manifold gasket failure on a MOPAR 440 pull truck engine during a 6K+ RPM dyno run at over 700 HP. It caused the mixture to go very lean on one cylinder. Even with earmuffs and earplugs, the noise level was noticeable. Good thing, as I heard a little bit of a rattle that didn't sound exactly right. Before I could get off the throttle and back off the load, the engine had blown a half-dollar size hole in one piston! That was an expensive dyno pull, about a thousand dollars' worth of repairs before we could make another engine run! That engine ended up running for nine seasons with only the occasional freshen-up before the truck owner finally hand-grenaded it during a pull, though!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
52Carl #1378503 Sat Sep 26 2020 04:41 AM
P
AD Addict
Here is a story I sure you can relate to. My wife and I live in a fairly remote area in upstate NY. We lose our electricity numerous times a year that we have a whole house generator. I also own a 4,000 watt portable generator as a backup. I had not run thIs generator in a few years, so a month or so ago, I pulled the carb to clean it out, reinstalled and when I started it the engine went right to full throttle with no governor to control it. Fortunately, I was right there to shut it down before any damage occurred. I’m not sure what happened but figured that I installed the carb to governor linkage wrong. I pulled it off and reinstalled it, not really finding out what I had done wrong. This time I tested it with a drill and it ran perfect.

It wasn’t a week later that our electricity went out about an hour before I usually get up and my auto start generator did not start. I thought to myself the noise would probably have kept me up anyway so I might as well go back to sleep and I would deal with it when I got up, knowing I had my back up generator to make my pot of coffee. I didn’t sleep because my mind was thinking about all of the possible reasons why the generator did not start.

When I got up, I pulled out my portable generator, 100’ extension cord, removed a screen so I could run it thru the window and ran the cord next to the coffee pot. I added the water and coffee and went out to start the generator. It started on one pull and sounded great. As soon as I plugged in the coffee pot the generator rev’ed up and immediately went to full throttle with no governor control. Now, realizing what was about to happen, I started racing out of the house to shut it down, but This time I was not so lucky. A few moments later it died. I pulled the pull starter to see if I could tell what had happened and it had no compression. Well I wasn’t going to get any electricity out of that generator so I turned my attention to the whole house generator. I tried starting it on manual and it didn’t make any noises whatsoever. I tested the battery with a multimeter for voltage and it read just under 13 volts. I checked the control fuses and they were all good. I gave up and went inside to look for percolator coffee pot to heat on our gas stove. I got it all set to go and the electricity came back on.

After having my coffee I went back outside, wound up the 100’ extension cord, put the screen back on and looked at the portable generator again to diagnose the issue. After pulling the valve cover, I found one of the valve keepers had cracked in half which released the spring. That design did not have the top washer and the two keeper half's like we have in our Stovebolts, but instead a single washer that was slotted like a keyhole. I wasn’t able to buy that single washer because they changed the design to the conventional washer with two keepers. I had to buy a whole kit that replaced everything.

I called a service company that specializes in whole house generators, to come out and repair the generator, figuring it was a control board circuit issue. He was there for fifteen minutes. The battery was bad. It showed 13 volts until you placed a load on it. Boy did I feel stupid. I felt even worse when he handed me the bill for over 200 dollars for the service call. And I still needed to buy the battery!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
52Carl #1378550 Sat Sep 26 2020 03:45 PM
D
Shop Shark
52Carl, these things have a way of happening. Jerry always has good advice and his willingness to help is commendable. I have had unbelievable trouble with a Model B. The ones I rebuild for others have all worked but not mine. Three times apart and some type of problem (s). I could not believe yesterday, all buckled up and gas coming out of pump rod. Managed to take off just the top, float level perfect and then......I took out floats. microscopic hole in soldered seam. This simple but overlooked problem has cost me hours of frustration not to mention money spent on gaskets. But with it goes the satisfaction of FINALLY getting it right. I can vision Jerry shaking his head. Ed

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
52Carl #1378696 Sun Sep 27 2020 07:07 PM
B
General Purpose
So you are using the parts from the free engine to fix the existing. Sounds like a good plan. This event is the same as 5 years of mechanics training in one day. So it's a good thing, although may not seem so right now. The cost was very low for the amount of knowledge gained.
So as my Mom would say about everything I did, "be careful, that could poke your eye out"

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

52Carl #1378851 Tue Sep 29 2020 01:01 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
The free engine surprisingly has a significant amount of original paint left on the block. Unfortunately the harmonic balancer is horribly pitted right at the seal contact area. We chucked it in a lathe and it wobbles as bad as the first one I removed. The HB that I broke ran very true on the engine for the brief time that I ran it, so I am fairly certain the the crank is fine.
I have a buddy who has a yard art truck in the flower bed of his front yard, The engine is still in it. I may have to trim his bushes to get to the balancer. smile

52Carl #1378855 Tue Sep 29 2020 01:45 AM
H
Boltergeist
Carl, what size balancer are you using- - - -the small 216 type with the hand crank lugs, or the larger one that came on the 235/261 engines with the large diameter fan belt groove? I might be able to help out. I'm fabricating all-new custom balancers for some of the upgraded engines I'm building, and I have a few originals on hand that might not get re-used. Drop me a PM.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
52Carl #1378886 Tue Sep 29 2020 02:02 PM
D
Shop Shark
panic is right!

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop