The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (DRCA, TTC Restorations, Hotrod Lincoln, GeorgeCz, 2ManyTrucks, 1 invisible), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,403
Posts973,270
Members43,924
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alternator question sort of
#1378298 Thu Sep 24 2020 03:41 AM
R
Shop Shark
I'm putting together a 1970 Chevrolet pickup with a 350 V-8 and someone cobbled together a rough mounting bracket to mount it on the driver-side head. And I do mean it is rough. Not usable.

It has the old rams horn exhaust manifolds on it, and a place for possibly the alternator to mount, but the bolts are broken off in the manifold.

I can drill and tap the threads with no problem.

But pictures I have seen and my faint memory seems to tell me originally the alternator was mounted on the passenger side of the engine rather than the left.

So my question is, where was the stock position for the alternator on this engine? It did NOT have an air conditioner so no compressor, but does have power steering.

I'm trying to get this as close back to stock as I can, so I need to see or be told where the alternator would have been mounted.

Thanks (and if this needs to be moved to a different thread, I understand. )

Re: Alternator question sort of
Roy Rodgers #1378301 Thu Sep 24 2020 04:18 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
There are more than a few different ways to mount the alternators. I was trying to figure out another way to mount the alternator on my 68 327 with no bolt holes in the heads. I googled it with not much success. Mine is mounted on the drivers side.

Attached Files
IMG_1030.JPG (55.01 KB, 150 downloads)
Last edited by Rusty Rod; Thu Sep 24 2020 04:18 AM.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Rusty Rod #1378322 Thu Sep 24 2020 01:37 PM
F
Shop Shark

1948 5-window 3100 Chevy
327 V-8 TBI 700R4 Posi 3.73
"Old Blue"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Roy Rodgers #1378328 Thu Sep 24 2020 02:36 PM
T
Shop Shark
Roy, If I remember correctly, it would have been on the passenger side of the engine. There was two brackets one spaced the lower mounting hole on the alt from the cyl. head with a long bolt (maybe 6 inches). The other bolted onto the water pump and the thermostat housing, this was the adjustment bracket for the little mount on the top side of the alternator.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Roy Rodgers #1378331 Thu Sep 24 2020 03:06 PM
H
Boltergeist
I have a 1972 C-10 with a 350 engine stashed away that is all original. I seem to remember the alternator being on the driver's side, with a bracket bolted to a raised boss on the rams' horn exhaust manifold, the same place where earlier models had a generator. If I want to mount an alternator on the passenger's side, I usually fabricate a mount from 1/4" thick 2" angle iron and 1/4" black pipe that straddles the front exhaust port and attaches with the two bolts for the exhaust manifold.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Roy Rodgers #1378342 Thu Sep 24 2020 05:49 PM
B
General Purpose
For the 350 motor in 1970, alternators were on both sides depending on if a smog pump was required. That depended on size of truck, which 350, which transmission, model of truck, California or not. If no smog pump (A.I.R.), alternator was on the passenger side using bracket shown. If it had a pump, alternator was on drivers side. The confusion is due to folks taking off the pump themselves and moving alternator to pass side. Adding to the confusion is owners swapping other year 350's into a 1970 truck.
It will look more normal, more Chevy, cleaner, if you mount it on the pass side with the bracket shown.

Can't say what MVD inspection will say about what your truck should or should not have. If their books say smog pump, and it's missing, you could fail emissions test.
Some states are getting more fair about it. More realistic. They have done studies that show, for instance/for example that the amount of 1970's still on the road contribute less than .0001% to pollution, so why get jiggy with inspections of them. We don't inspect 1966 and older here.

Attached Files
DSC03257.JPG (452.46 KB, 119 downloads)

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

Roy Rodgers #1378352 Thu Sep 24 2020 08:03 PM
R
Shop Shark
Thanks, that helps. The drivers side rams horn manifold has broken bolts in it so I will assume it's alternator went there. There was no smog pump on this engine, and no air conditioning though it does have power steering. The wiring also seems to indicate it was on the drivers side though I can add to it and move it if I need too.

Thanks again.

Roy Rodgers #1378355 Thu Sep 24 2020 08:17 PM
H
Boltergeist
Roy, those manifolds should be pretty plentiful at swap meets from the guys who think a small block Chevy engine won't run without a set of headers on it!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Roy Rodgers #1378394 Fri Sep 25 2020 01:27 AM
E
Shop Shark
I thought all the V-8 trucks up to 72 had the alternator on the drivers side. Does the engine have the short water pump then I may have the brackets and manifold to mount it back on the drivers side? If it has the long water pump and accessory holes drilled in the passenger side head then bracket pictured above is correct for the engine. PM me if you need the brackets.

ESum
Roy Rodgers #1378399 Fri Sep 25 2020 02:56 AM
R
Shop Shark
It does indeed have the short water pump, and the pump does not have the holes to use it. But I have a friend close by who says he has a bracket he will not be using and has offered it to me for free. So seems my problem is answered.

I do appreciate all who spoke up. You've all been helpful.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop