The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (AlanV, 59 fleet, 1953 panel, '37 barn find, 5 Window 9434, Abelsclassic, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,443
Posts973,641
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 62' Cluster (can it be saved?)
TerenceandMary #1377538 Fri Sep 18 2020 05:18 PM
T
Shop Shark
After much soaking, I have come to the conclusion that I will need to cut the wires to get it out.
Does What gauge of copper wire do i solder down to the brass shim stock?
Do I just pull 2 or 3 strands out of some wire i have laying around?

Last edited by TerenceandMary; Fri Sep 18 2020 05:57 PM.

62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
TerenceandMary #1377550 Fri Sep 18 2020 06:11 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Before cutting any wires, you should "youTube" your problem; if the problem exists more than a few times, someone will video the process to correct the problem.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
TerenceandMary #1377553 Fri Sep 18 2020 06:40 PM
B
General Purpose
The black is a conductive protective coating I believe. The copper is the conductor. There is nothing wrong with the copper runs that I can see. All is still connected. The connector just lifts off with prying with several plastic tools in two or three places. Gently raising it up. Not that big of a deal. Slow and easy.

You mis diagnosed your fuel gauge problem. Nothing wrong with the PC board except flaking coating. All of your gauges and bulbs "have wires going to them" in the form of a copper conductor.

The copper does not need cleaning except around contact areas at gauges and bulbs. Cleaning the runs does nothing and may remove copper.

I think you may be missing a thin plastic sheet covering. Not sure.

An option is to take the caps off of the fuel gauge and take the nuts off and the gauge will come loose. If you think its the copper runs or coating that is your fuel gauge problem, after testing the gauge or getting a new gauge or sender, put gauge on again and wire it separately with wires and crimp on ring tongue terminals attached to the gauge terminal studs.

Chances are your gauge problem is the sender, the gauge or ground. Testing needs to be done. You are getting ready to damage the PC board, entire gauge cluster and there is no need to cut connector wires.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

TerenceandMary #1377660 Sat Sep 19 2020 07:31 PM
T
Shop Shark
Well I haven't done anything yet, Just alot of looking and planning. The grounds were the first place I looked, I cleaned and re-connected them. I have nothing on the cluster working. I will chase some wires when it cools off out there and see if there is anything wrong in between the cluster and fuse box.

I have checked YouTube but haven't found anything that seems to pertain to my problem, I may not be wording my search correctly?

I definitely don't want to damage anything, I will do some testing on all that and confirm continuity.

I'm sure I am missing the plastic sheet covering, 60 years in the desert has turned most of the plastics to dust.

Probably need to replace the bulbs (especially since my 3yo took one of them and lost it)

TerenceandMary #1377666 Sat Sep 19 2020 08:10 PM
T
Shop Shark
Here are some better pics of the plug and some of the problem areas.

Still not sure if I should try to unplug it or even remove it at all. to me those pins don't look like they should be pulled out or pried on.

If it is just the protective coating that has come off is the copper underneath it ok? I can see the copper on some of it but other parts are just white not sure if the copper is under that or missing.

I will still be checking continuity later this evening and get back with the results.

Thank you all again for your help. I would much rather ask stupid questions here than screw up parts that were basically okay to begin with.

Attached Files
20200919_124623.jpg (207.23 KB, 123 downloads)
20200919_124543.jpg (101.27 KB, 123 downloads)
20200919_124524.jpg (242.52 KB, 123 downloads)

TerenceandMary #1377721 Sun Sep 20 2020 01:47 AM
T
Shop Shark
I checked it all with a multi-meter and it seems to me that the only thing conductive here is the black stuff that's coming off, it seems that the lights make contact directly with the black material. I do seem to be missing a wire from the plug bit that goes to the temp gauge, may answer why the P.O. had 2 temp gauges. I did find a bad ground I had missed before, but I think that the black stuff is the only conductive bit there. I may be wrong but on any section of the "copper" bit beneath was all open line.

TerenceandMary #1377794 Sun Sep 20 2020 08:56 PM
B
General Purpose
Ok, stand by for awhile. Trying to get info. ALSO, as you know there are only two gauges. Temp and fuel. The oil press and the gen are idiot lights. If you are on a real tight budget, You have two choices other than buying a donor part from Ebay. You can install gauges and idiot lights under or on the dash....or you can hard wire the existing gauge cluster and abandon the copper runs. Some work involved of course. If you decide on those, let me know so I can terminate my study of the flex print issue. If you have decided to move on to other things, let us know that also. If you are still gung ho on any of the options, we will continue to help with what you choose to do. The best and easiest remedy is a donor part, but I understand if that is over budget. Please advise your latest thoughts.

Last edited by bartamos; Tue Sep 22 2020 11:03 AM.

TerenceandMary #1377819 Mon Sep 21 2020 12:00 AM
T
Shop Shark
Thank you, I am on a tight budget. I know in the cluster is only the 2, the electric temp gauge and the fuel gauge. also in dash on either side of the cluster I have a mechanical temp gauge on the left and a oil pressure gauge on the right. Neither temp gauge works, so I wanted to repair the cluster then swap my oil pressure gauge to the left and add a tach to the right. I figure that hard wiring the lights and gauges in the cluster (and probably replacing the temp sensor itself) will be the best and most cost effective way to go about it. Out in the desert I really need a temp gauge that works before I can go anywhere but the hardware store and gas station. I figure I can ask my wife for a tach for Christmas and I have almost everything other than that to do the rest hard wired.

would I just solder to the tabs on the bulb sockets?

I assume that for all of it I just follow the lines on the board to the where it made contact with the gauges and whatnot and solder directly to places it used to make contact with. That may be naive of me to think though.

TerenceandMary #1377846 Mon Sep 21 2020 02:05 AM
B
General Purpose
Best option in your case.
1. Cut off wires on connector far enough back to be able to use connector someday or to sell it.
2. Pry connector off panel.
3. Use the attached wiring diagram to see hook up and colors.
4. Use or replace the fuel gauge and the temp gauge on the panel by hard wiring to the stud terminals. Splice a wire from proper cut wire end to gauges.
5. Hard wire the oil pressure side gauge and change the other temp side gauge to a voltmeter and hard wire it. Splice a wire from proper cut wire end to gauges. (I can advise on the voltmeter hook up)
6. Don't need indicator bulbs for Gen or Oil.
7. Hard wire to turn signal bulb. Solder or otherwise attach wire to sockets
8. Hard wire to dash light bulbs. Solder or otherwise attach wire to sockets.
9. Hard wire to high beam bulb. Solder or otherwise attach wire to socket

No soldering to copper. Copper is dead when connector wires cut. It will all look the same as now with no flex print involved.

When you are ready to begin, post pics of motor and engine bay and show all the wiring under hood.

Attached Files
1963GMCwiring.jpg (257.24 KB, 60 downloads)
Last edited by bartamos; Mon Sep 21 2020 02:18 AM.

TerenceandMary #1377848 Mon Sep 21 2020 02:17 AM
T
Shop Shark
That sounds perfect! and thank you for the diagram. I couldn't find anything that accurate, only stuff that was close.
I will have to pick up a voltmeter to put in place of the temp side.
Tomorrow I will make the cut and pry up the connector from the panel with some plastic prying tools and add it to my box of things that came off of or were in the truck.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop