The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (klhansen, Frank50, Hotrod Lincoln, DennisM, 69Cuda, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,945
Posts969,509
Members43,798
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Any Comments on Repro Truck Bed parts?
#1377656 Sat Sep 19 2020 07:04 PM
C
New Guy
I have a question regarding reproduction truck bed parts for 1941 Chevrolet and GMC 1/2 tons. I know a lot of parts company offer parts to completely build a new bed, but they're fronts for one company that makes them. My question is how good are these parts? I have a very marginal original bed that will require a lot of straigtening, patch welding, etc, in order to make half way presentable. What experiences does anyone out there have with reproduction parts? Do they fit together decently? Do they look like they should? What shortcomings do they have?

I already posted about my experience with repro emergency brake cables (could have been a better one), so I would like to see if anyone out there has anything to say.

Charles M Evans
Re: Any Comments on Repro Truck Bed parts?
Charles Evans #1377667 Sat Sep 19 2020 08:15 PM
L
Shop Shark
Charles,
I have only a single experience with a replacement bed for my '37 Chevy 1/2 ton and that is with Mar-K. My original bed was pretty beat up so I ordered the bed and bed wood. The bed was very well done, down to the location of spot welds. Much later I discovered that it doesn't have bases for the bedside pockets like later beds. I don't know if the original had them or not since I don't have it anymore. I went with pine wood since I was painting it black like the original truck had. The wood was gorgeous with no knots or flaws at all and it almost seemed a shame to cover it up but cover I did. Everything went together real well including the mounting bolts through the truck frame. I highly recommend them. Also, made in America.

Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Charles Evans #1377673 Sat Sep 19 2020 09:01 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Mar-K = Made in America!

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Charles Evans #1377812 Sun Sep 20 2020 10:47 PM
C
Shop Shark
The main difference between a factory bed and a Mar-K is the Mar-K is BETTER.

Evan
Charles Evans #1378189 Wed Sep 23 2020 04:46 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
I know my mar-k tailgate’s spotwelds are so much nicer than the stockers. The stock ones are all over the place along the seams, whereas the MAR-K gate’s are centred and evenly spaced along the whole length. I second Coilover (in regards to their gates anyways).

My 1 ton bed wood and strips/hardware were top notch as well.

One thing I’m curious about is what the reviews will be when they start selling a lot of the 67-72 bed sides. The site says “Mar-K approved product.” What? I wonder if this is an offshore product? 🤔 I contacted them about this and was told it’s checked and approved, but they didn’t actually tell me it was Made in the USA. 🤔🤔

I don’t doubt the other parts are built here at home, but I don’t know if anyone on this side of the Pacific is building these 67-72 bed sides in house. I’m watching these for sure.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Charles Evans #1378195 Wed Sep 23 2020 12:51 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
If I recall correctly from the Oklahoma Bolters tour of the facility last year, we were told the 67-72 bed sides were indeed not USA manufactured. They are supposed to be quality checked before shipping. Just what that means I don’t know. I wouldn’t think they would want to compromise their integrity. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Charles Evans #1381586 Tue Oct 20 2020 11:13 PM
C
Shop Shark
I second Mar-K..... I would prefer Made in the USA however there product was 100% fit controlled with superior customer service. I purchased the entire bed at a free shipping period. I also purchased
a louvered roll pan bed bolts another time all at great prices. As Martin stated above I don't believe they would compromise their integrity. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop