The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Johnny N, JasonP, D B Cooper, Jeff Ogden, dougs, 1 invisible), 186 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,968
Posts969,780
Members43,804
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1st collision claim
#1377232 Wed Sep 16 2020 02:29 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
Well I guess it had to happen eventually.
I had to provide auto insurance information for a collision which was my fault. I backed into the neighbor's brand new car across the street. Damage was very minor/hard to see.
I knocked on his door and told him I would make it right. I wanted to pay for it out of pocket rather than involve insurance companies. He got an estimate for $1,500.00!
I decided to give him my insurance info and let them pay for it. The odd thing was that I had no idea how to proceed, having never done this before, nor have I ever had to file a claim for someone hitting me.
I am, what I like to say, well into my thirties, (give or take 32 years) and never had to deal with an insurance company. I have driven over 30,000 miles/year for 18 years in my current job.
My modis operandi for driving involves assuming that everyone on the road is about to do something stupid and run into me. Sometimes I feel like I have Batman-like driving skills combined with the spidey sense of Spiderman.
Well, except for the time I was talking on my cell phone and backed into my neighbor's car. DOH!

Re: 1st collision claim
52Carl #1377240 Wed Sep 16 2020 03:10 AM
Shop Shark
Liability claims are easy. Wind caught my door one morning and hit a coworkers passenger fender.
With about 700 employees there I had no idea who it belonged to. I could have just went on into work and no one would know anything.
But, I was not raised that way. So I got the license number and contacted security. to find out who drove it.
Contacted that person and gave her my insurance info, she filed a claim, then they called me to verify.

That was it! She later told me that they took care of it and that she would have not noticed it for weeks.
Let alone who did it. Being that she looked like Linda Carter, Wonder Woman, made me feel even better.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
52Carl #1377329 Wed Sep 16 2020 07:37 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Sad to hear about your misfortune Carl. Those cell phones will do that. I did about the same thing, but it was a fence I hit, so I got to pay no matter what.
All you need to do is call your insurance co and give them their info.
Unfortunately, any time there's paint involved it's going to be over $1000. Mine was just over that, being the rear bedside on my Ford pickup, and I bought the taillight, side decal, and fender flare directly, being able to get them for less than the body shop would have charged me.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
52Carl #1377364 Thu Sep 17 2020 12:31 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
No need to be sad. Even Batman has to take his licks every once in a while.(Joker's henchmen, most often.)

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop