The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (81tta, 46forme, coilover, chuck2213, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 171 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,007
Posts970,100
Members43,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Biggest electrically challenged person on Here is me
AceRockow #1377070 Mon Sep 14 2020 11:55 PM
B
General Purpose
Very nice condition. As you said, a GMC cab or dash. The Vin plate is on the driver door hinge pillar. It's a rare "Big Window" or "Panoramic" rear window. I believe a custom cab. Right now it is a hybrid with GMC and Chevy mix. Short bed is nice. Could be a full GMC with not too much trouble but a lot of expense. Nothing wrong with the way it is. Anyway not sure from the pics what condition the truck, wiring and motor are in at this moment. I see pics of other trucks.

To answer your question about turn signal. The next step is to prepare the engine bay however you wish. Clean or paint or whatever. Remove the wiring and install new harness. Now is not the time to fix various components. All of the components, such as turn signals and switches are available and none of it is difficult. Renew the wiring first to eliminate that part.

You may want to install an alternator during the harness phase. If you and your dad want to remain all stock, that's fine. An alternator is easy and requires mush less wiring and is more dependable. You would get rid of the voltage regulator also. A normal "3 wire" Delco 10Si alternator is fairly inexpensive.

Advise the condition and progress so far on motor and engine bay refurbish/restore/clean up. Post pics of present condition. Buy the harness.

I see some problems with some wiring, don't energize anything until after harness is installed. You will need to remove the two GMC (very valuable) dash plates to access the gauges during rewire. You will save all the various connectors throughout the truck. Save all of the old harness and it's parts and ends.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

AceRockow #1377080 Tue Sep 15 2020 01:25 AM
B
General Purpose
I have never spelled this out and want to do it now so I can refer back for anyone else.
As has been noted, there are quite a few harnesses available. The wire quality is the same. Prices vary. Opinions vary. There are several categories of harnesses also.

1. Exact reproduction/OEM style with exact cloth covering, branching, fusing if applicable, terminals and terminal blocks. These are more for the eras previous to your era. This is a purity, restoration show quality, nostalgic, totally original persons choice. Example: (AD and pre AD.) riwire.com, YNZ. (TF and post TF) AAW, Stovebolt common vendors.

2. Classic update/near era designed. Example: AAW Classic Update. Stovebolt common vendors.

3. Universal/hot rod harness. Example: Painless, Speedway, EZ, Stovebolt common vendors, etc.

4. Of course, a person can do a complete DIY harness.
4b. Add a few wires where needed and clean up the birds nests.

The 55.2-59 truck electrics were beginning to be modern. Better wire insulation, addition of a fuse block, wiring techniques, V8's and 12V. They used connectors called "packard 56" style. Pre weather pack. You will see these on your 57. There is a male and female connector shell with either male or female contacts inside. These contacts are removable with a little practice. A new contact is soldered or crimped (or both) onto a new wire and the wire/contact is snapped back into the original shell. The contacts are front release/rear removable.

The 55.2-59 can have factory fuses. A fuse block is usually mounted on the outside of the firewall with about 7 AGC fuses (Automotive Glass Cartridge). These are older technology and they are exposed to the elements. The fuse block has wires screwed to each side of the fuse holder. These are corrosion points, add resistance and can come loose. This brings me to the reason I recommend a harness with a pre terminated ATO/ATC fuse panel mounted inside cab on firewall. So this narrows to above harnesses no. 2 or no. 3.

Number 2: This is the American Autowire top of the line "Classic Update" harness. It is for a "Classic" Truck but "updated" somewhat. This harness is more expensive. However, it has many extras. It has many packard 56 connectors already terminated. The rest are supplied, shell and contacts, for you to terminate once the wire length is determined. The harness includes switches, bulb sockets, socket boots, butt splices, gauge connectors, many hard to find extras. Read the extras list 1 thru 15 on the AAW Classic Update page. Nothing else to buy. I have used the AAW harness. I have also done a no. 4: DIY harness (never again)

Number 3: The universal will have all the wires necessary to wire your truck. It will not have extras like connectors, contacts and other replacement parts. All of that is available from various places. I have used those several times. If your connector shells are still good, you can buy new contacts and install per above description.

The AAW kit is cheaper from their "dealers". Right now it is $557.10 at (among others) Jeggs, Summit, Speedway and Amazon. Part number 500481. The Amazon supplier is Speedway. Amazon Prime would be free ship and Speedway is free ship.

So this is the basic info for harness choice. Whichever you choose you will need to somewhat reference the original wiring diagram as posted by Tiny. Together with harness instructions and help from Stovebolt. No sweat. I can tell that you and your Dad can handle this easily.

My idea of Stovebolt common vendors: Jim Carter, Classicparts.com, Chevs of the 40's, Classic Parts of America.
This post may be edited on occasion as things change.

AceRockow #1377200 Wed Sep 16 2020 12:24 AM
W
Shop Shark
Thanks Bartamos for the breakdown on the wiring harnesses. Good info for a novice like me

AceRockow #1377350 Wed Sep 16 2020 10:33 PM
A
New Guy
We ordered the speedway harness. What additional things are we going to need for install? Wire, heat gun, soldering, connectors.

Thanks.

AceRockow #1377356 Wed Sep 16 2020 11:08 PM
B
General Purpose
1. You don't need wire, you just ordered that.

2. One end of the wires are already terminated inside the fuse panel.

3. Heat gun, shrink sleeving, solder may or may not be needed.

4. Once you get the harness and mount the panel and read the instructions and see where wires go on your particular truck, you will understand a little more what to do and how to do it. With help.

5. As you remove the old harness, look at how things got connected together. Take pic if you want. Read over carefully what I said about connectors and contacts. See how many connectors are used and where they are used on your truck. What is the part number of the harness you ordered?

6. Can't give you a list of items to buy at this point. I have helped others here. The post was extremely long. I needed many pictures. You are a novice and it will take a lot of back and forth. I will have many questions and you will too. For this reason, I have switched to email. When you get the truck ready and you clean all the old out and when you get the new harness, PM me and I will give you my email address. We will get it all wired. You will get tired before I do. Keep in mind that in a restore or conserve or refurbish effort, the wiring is near the end of the effort, however far a person is going. Just get motor started, get it driving as is or full-on restore or in between.

7. Keep the old harness, keep the old connectors and identify where they cam from. Some connectorization used back then can be bypassed and direct wired. We will see. I have explained the connector issue, and their contacts, clearly already.

8. You will take it one step at a time. Four main bundle branches to wire. 1. Motor ignition and charging, 2. lights front, 3. lights rear, 4. cab/dash and gauges. You will keep the bundles tied together, mount the fuse panel up and left of left foot using a plate mounted to the hood hinge stick-thru bolts. Then route and wire one bundle at a time. You will need crimp pliers for normal crimp terminals like from the auto parts store ring tongue and you may need another crimp pliers for the "special" contacts inside connectors. We will see.

Attached Files
ring.png (115.8 KB, 135 downloads)
packard 56.jpg (8.12 KB, 136 downloads)

bartamos #1377471 Fri Sep 18 2020 01:27 AM
A
New Guy
Originally Posted by bartamos
thumbs_up

We got the speedway harness. What other things am i going to need? Connectors, groundwires, etc.

AceRockow #1377472 Fri Sep 18 2020 01:27 AM
A
New Guy
Thanks

AceRockow #1377479 Fri Sep 18 2020 02:17 AM
B
General Purpose
1. You need to answer questions as they come. I asked what part number of harness did you order.

2. There will be many question I will ask. I will answer all of your questions.

3. When you PM (Private Message) me, I will give you my email and that's how we can start the long process.

4. You have asked about what else you need already and I have answered already. Slow down, read the responses carefully. If you are too impatient or don't answer, we won't get anywhere fast. You won't know why I am asking some questions. They are designed for me to be able to help you wire from far away. Just answer each one carefully. They do make a difference.

5. Your Dad is about 72, is he able to help? Is he handy with tools and such? How old are you? Are you handy with tools and mechanically inclined? Don't have to be just want to know. I am 74. So we better hurry and get this done.

6. After you respond to my current questions here, contact me by PM. We can't do this on the forum. It's way too boring and voluminous. I will keep the forum updated and provide any helpful feedback if that's OK with you.

AceRockow #1377611 Sat Sep 19 2020 03:57 AM
A
New Guy
I apologize. The format of this board is different from what I am used to. I was stuck on page one and didn’t see that you had posted. I kept clicking on the link on one link in my profile and it kept taking me to page 1. I thought that I hadn’t posted. I will go back and read your posts in detail as to what we may need.

We got
Speedway
22-Circuit Universal Automotive Aftermarket Wiring Harness Kit
Part number: 91064022

Some of the photos of the engine bay (one with patina, rust, age) are my dads, some are inspirational/aspirational.

As to my father being helpful. It depends on the day. He was a farmer, then a contractor. Some days he feels good and other days not. He would never let me know what days he feels good and not. I’m 44. I’m not very mechanical, but I don’t have fear. I think that i can watch tv or a youtube and replicate. Most of the time it works out. The wiring seems not too complicated. Run the wire, run a ground. Lights probably have a switch. Multifunction lights, like high/low beams, may have multiple wires to same lamp. Where I know that i will need help is in the engine bay especially.

Also, I can’t PM you. It gave me a message that you are in too many private chats or something along those lines.

I really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

AceRockow #1377614 Sat Sep 19 2020 04:24 AM
B
General Purpose
OK. thanks for letting me know and thanks for letting me know about my PM being full. I have fixed that.
A word about ground. There are several ground straps and maybe a wire or two. Just want you to know that the main ground path is not wires. The return to the battery negative is thru the lamp sockets, frame, body and motor via braided straps, screws, brackets, bolts and intimate contact (touching).......the metal in other words. 99.9% of the wires in the harness kit are hot wires.
Thanks for the answers. We are back on track. I sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop