The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (DeuceTudor, 51 3804, 55 SHAKER, 3B, Flatblu4748, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,071
Posts970,587
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: hey folks rebuilding a what I think is 235 stovebolt engine
Justhorsenround #1377216 Wed Sep 16 2020 01:28 AM
'
Wrench Fetcher
I second the advice above. Mine sat for 50 years so I put tranny fluid in the cylinders and let it sit a couple months while
I worked on other stuff. Used a small pry bar between the bell housing and flywheel teeth . Moved it a little bit, added
more tranny fluid, let it sit a few more days then moved it back and forth a little more each time.
Engine runs perfectly now so there is hope for you. Just don't force it-something's bound to break.

Whimpy #1377222 Wed Sep 16 2020 01:46 AM
H
Boltergeist
Usually, the cylinders that get heavily rusted are the ones that have sat for years with one or both valves open. The humidity in the air that cycles in and out due to temperature changes rusts the exposed cylinder walls above the piston. What you're doing by rocking the engine back and forth is slowly dislodging the rust in several inches of cylinder walls. It's a slow process!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Whimpy #1377228 Wed Sep 16 2020 01:59 AM
W
Whimpy Offline OP
New Guy
Right on thanks for all the help fellas , calling it a night topped all cylinders off with oil and ill be prying at the flywheel teeth tomorrow

Whimpy #1377318 Wed Sep 16 2020 06:32 PM
W
Whimpy Offline OP
New Guy
Should I be worried about bending a rod if the valves are seized open also ? I've seen you.can possibly take the head off and hit the valve rockers with a rubber mallet to make sure they aren't seized is this somthing I should be doing before prying on the fly wheel ?

Whimpy #1377321 Wed Sep 16 2020 06:55 PM
H
Boltergeist
I don't believe the 230/250 engines are "interference" engines, where the valves and pistons can get together even if a valve stays open at the wrong time. Yes, you can take the valve cover off (not the "head") and soak the valve stems with penetrating oil, then use a pry bar to work the valves up and down. There's even a special tool made to compress the valve springs on those stud-mounted rocker arms, but I've always made my own tool by welding a flat washer onto a discarded rocker arm and using a long tapered punch as a lever.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop