The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (classicchevs, Speednsalvage, tom moore), 154 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,922
Posts969,326
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brakes for a Chevy 4400 (1 1/2 ton)
#1376983 Mon Sep 14 2020 06:37 AM
D
New Guy
I would like to convert my Chevy 4400 1 1/2 ton truck to a dual front and back system. I am not interested in converting to disc brakes or anything like that.

Can someone point me to a master cylinder or master cylinder/booster combination that would do the job? I need some specifics: part nos. etc. and supplier(s).

Thanks.

Dave

David C. Baker
Re: Brakes for a Chevy 4400 (1 1/2 ton)
David C. Baker #1377064 Mon Sep 14 2020 11:16 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy David C. Baker, welcome, I have a recommendation and a question or two. Do not attempt to use a master cylinder with a bore smaller than the one the truck came equipped with. Your truck most likely came equipped with a Hydrovac brake booster, so I would not recommend a non boosted system. Do you wish to have your new dual system mounted under the floor as the stock single system was, or do you want to mount your new system up on the firewall?

Re: Brakes for a Chevy 4400 (1 1/2 ton)
3B #1377347 Wed Sep 16 2020 09:55 PM
D
New Guy
Thanks for your interest. I understand the bore of the master cylinder was originally 1 1/4 in. It has a large booster. Probably the system you describe is the original.

I am not particular about where to mount the master csylinder, etc., but taking a clue from most replacements I've seen in catalogs for smaller trucks they are put underneath the body like the originals. Some modified mounting hardware would probably be required. That would be fine with me.

Any pointers you can give me are greatly appreciated.

Dave

David C. Baker

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop