The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (Harold41, Cosmo, Chapman, 3 invisible), 200 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,177
Posts980,033
Members44,165
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 62' Cluster (can it be saved?)
TerenceandMary #1377043 Mon Sep 14 2020 09:17 PM
T
Shop Shark
Awesome! I knew there would be ways around that, the thin copper wire soldered down only makes sense. looks like when it cools off out there I'm gonna be spending a bit of time sittin' in the truck soldering

Last edited by TerenceandMary; Mon Sep 14 2020 09:18 PM.

62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
TerenceandMary #1377044 Mon Sep 14 2020 09:34 PM
L
Shop Shark
To answer part of your question; the circuit board is just a way to run a signal to all the different connections behind the dash without individual wires doing the work. The plug next to the speedometer has all the wires running to that single plug that has to line up a certain way to match up with the bare copper on the circuit board. In a 69 car that I use to own, all I had to do to remove the cluster was to disconnect the plug and speedometer cable to free the unit.
As best as I can tell, yours appears to be maybe missing some of the copper conduit at least at one of your dash lights; if that is correct, then everything downstream of that will not work. If you are missing pieces of the copper, then I would think it would be very difficult to repair. Cleaning the exposed copper so as to make a better connection is easy, just do as Jerry suggested with a pencil eraser. It is probably also easy enough to repair any damage to the non conduction film that covers the copper wire.

Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
TerenceandMary #1377050 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:11 PM
H
Boltergeist
Just unplug the connector (it pulls straight out of the cluster) and do the repair work at a workbench with a good light source, and possibly a way to clamp it down. Repairing that circuit board is tedious work. Go slow and be careful! You can get brass shim stock in various thicknesses on Ebay, or since I've got the stuff in big rolls for adjusting 216 engine connecting rod bearing clearance, I'd be glad to send you some.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
TerenceandMary #1377054 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:24 PM
T
Shop Shark
The connector is like pressed in and i wouldn't be able to remove it without destroying the spot it plugs into or cutting all the wires(that are now almost all the same color) and marking them off to be routed properly
I'm missing alot of the copper, I do have all the bulbs and screws and whatnot in my ashtray since im not one to trow away or misplace things of that nature
I just got some pencils and glue to do what cleaning/prep/repair to whats left of the thing.
Thank you Jerry that is a very nice offer. I'm gonna have to fester on this one a little while. I will find some brass shim stock and see how that does for me.

TerenceandMary #1377058 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:47 PM
T
Shop Shark
I may remove the steering wheel and set up a small makeshift bench / un-clip the wiring harness to pull the cluster out a bit further. The whole thing is probably one of the mare challenging parts I have done to this truck. I have some wiring experience (wired a new rear ECU in my old 90's benz) but this is a different animal because of how old every little bit is.

TerenceandMary #1377059 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:48 PM
H
Boltergeist
Soak the connector with some penetrating oil (like WD-40 or PB Blaster). Wait a few days if necessary and wiggle it a little. Any oily residue can be cleaned off with alcohol or naptha. Another approach would be to cut the wires off 2-3 inches away from the connector and splice them back together later. It's going to be nearly impossible to do the circuit board repair under the dash.
Jerry

TerenceandMary #1377061 Mon Sep 14 2020 11:04 PM
T
Shop Shark
I will try soaking it and see where that gets me. I never want to pull on that stuff very hard, I know a lot of people who did more damage than repair when undergoing projects like this.

TerenceandMary #1377062 Mon Sep 14 2020 11:06 PM
T
Shop Shark
oh yeah, and what gauge brass shim stock do you think would be ideal for this situation?

TerenceandMary #1377074 Tue Sep 15 2020 12:22 AM
H
Boltergeist
Pretty thin stuff- - - -maybe .002" or .003" thick. You can trim it to shape and glue it down, using the shadow on the circuit board at the light socket holes as a pattern. Then glue a piece of bare wire to the board, following the pattern that's there, and tack-solder the wire to the shim stock. I like to use a very high heat soldering gun, (250 watt) and do a quick tack with the gun at max heat. It only takes a couple of seconds to get a good bond. Use rosin core electronic solder, not acid core sheet metal tinners' solder.
Jerry

TerenceandMary #1377075 Tue Sep 15 2020 12:33 AM
T
Shop Shark
Nice, I will have to get a better soldering gun for it. Thank you for all the help with this. I will get the wires soaking tomorrow and try to get the materials together Thank you again I would be lost without all the people here.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop