The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (1958_Apache, cmayna, 60ApacheC20, 3B, D B Cooper, 2 invisible), 195 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,968
Posts969,780
Members43,804
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does anybody have experince with water heaters?
#1376881 Sun Sep 13 2020 08:50 AM
W
Master Gabster
I have a rental 100 gal water heater and I think it is about to quit. They will replaced it but I am have been thinking about getting either a gas or electric instance hot water heater. Does anyone have first-hand experience with them? I already have a gas line 5 feet away and of course electric in the same place. As a side note when I got the water heater that I have now it was off-peak and the savings was more than the rental it has changed but not by much.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Does anybody have experince with water heaters?
WE b OLD #1376882 Sun Sep 13 2020 09:23 AM
T
Shop Shark
We have instantaneous gas hot water system no dramas and very efficient doesn’t take up much space

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
WE b OLD #1376884 Sun Sep 13 2020 12:01 PM
Master Gabster
Not all tankless water heaters are created equal. Do your homework. Some start heating the water when they sense water flow but you lose the water that flows before it gets hot. Some are a hybrid that have a small tank to provide quicker hot water with less water loss. Some recirculate hot water all the time so that the hot water is indeed instant. There may be others I'm not aware of. I have no personal experience with any of them but This Old House is wonderful. grin https://www.thisoldhouse.com/plumbing/21019184/read-this-before-you-buy-a-tankless-water-heater

Last edited by Tiny; Sun Sep 13 2020 12:03 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
WE b OLD #1376921 Sun Sep 13 2020 06:59 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
You can RENT water heaters? Never heard of that.
Regular storage water heaters (both gas and electric) are really pretty dependable, usually lasting 10 or more years before they leak, and maybe needing an electric element replaced or possibly a thermocouple (I don't even think they use those anymore).
What Tiny said about tankless water heaters. Some being far from "instantaneous" and a lot of them put out lukewarm water if you turn the flow up too high.
Myself, I installed a modulating condensing boiler with a water heater tank that is on a loop off the boiler. I have all the hot water I'll ever need, and it cut my gas usage significantly. It would even keep up with my oldest daughters showers if she still lived with us. grin
[on edit] Don't even THINK of using an electric instantaneous water heater, unless you want to upgrade the electric service to your house. The only thing those are good for are a single lavatory (if that's all you have that needs hot water). Even those pull 3000 watts just to get 2 gpm of not very hot water.

Last edited by klhansen; Sun Sep 13 2020 07:02 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
WE b OLD #1376941 Sun Sep 13 2020 11:05 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I installed a Rheem, outdoor, gas unit back in 2004. Made sure I got the unit that was double that I needed. It's still hanging on the wall. Water bill went down, gas bill went down. Best thing I ever did to this house.

As for waiting for hot water to get to the faucet, you'd have to do that with a tank type too. I've minimized by insulating my hot water tubes and plumbing everything with Pex, manifold direct to end user. Where I probably screwed up is using 1/2" Pex instead of 3/8" Pex. Less volume to move.

WE b OLD #1376950 Mon Sep 14 2020 12:07 AM
W
Master Gabster
Kevin, I have had this one for 30 years or more. The company back then was owned by I&M Electric and sold it to a company AWHR. Back then it cost me $18,50 a month and saved me $22.00 a month on off-peak electricity. Now they are about equal. This thing is a monster 100 gallons. Mark, I am just hoping it is not the well pump, The house was built-in 1971.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1376956 Mon Sep 14 2020 12:44 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The latest and greatest thing in water heaters is a heat pump water heater. Might make sense if you need AC also, as it sucks heat out of the room and puts it into the water tank. Might be something worth looking into. They are probably more expensive than other types, though. I have not looked into them in depth.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
WE b OLD #1376960 Mon Sep 14 2020 01:22 AM
S
Shop Shark
We put in a Stiebel Eltron 24 (made in Germany) whole house, back in 2007. We love it and haven't had any issues with it. Two showers can easily run at the same time. We don't have gas in our area, so we didn't have a choice, and we already had a high amp line coming in to the house. Our electric bill went down after installing it.
Samantha

WE b OLD #1376967 Mon Sep 14 2020 02:27 AM
H
Shop Shark
I'd wait till it fails to replace it but calculate replacement and operating costs in the meantime. I'd replace it with the one with the cheapest operating cost over a period of about 15 yrs. You'll need to do your own calculations to trust them. You may find payback time for a tankless heater vs a tank heater is long past the warranty period, by most business models a bad investment.
When we built the house we're in (2009) I added a hot water option to the geothermal heat pump but for back-up put in the cheapest non-electronic control electric water Lowe's had. Payback for everything else was too long to be considered a reasonable investment. I can replace the mechanical thermostats for a few dollars but the electronic controls were about half the price of the water heater at that time.

Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
WE b OLD #1376968 Mon Sep 14 2020 02:31 AM
K
Shop Shark
30 years wow ,l have rental as well but they only last about ten years if they are still working after that then it’s like a lottery every time you leave the house .My house has flooded twice by water tanks leaking ,it is difficult to tell when they are going to go but some signs are rust coloured water or fine rust in the water. After mine get close to ten years old I request a new one from the rental company.thought of buying one out rite as it is cheaper in the long run but if you end up needing service your savings are gone

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop