The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (DennisM, Johnny N, DJMTruck, Achipmunk, 2 invisible), 170 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,010
Posts970,113
Members43,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Biggest electrically challenged person on Here is me
#1376806 Sat Sep 12 2020 03:48 PM
A
New Guy
I don’t have any auto or electrical experience, but i can do some stuff from YouTube and directions. I am helping my 72 year old father with his truck that was in storage 40 years.

We need a wiring harness. The mice got to the other one. We want to keep it pretty much stock, but it does have a under dash heater, wipers and turn signals (i don’t know which of those three things are stock).

1957 Chevy truck
3 on the tree
12 volt
Generator

Also has a ballast resister that broke (going to order new one) and voltage regulator mounted on firewall. No existing fuse panel that i found.

Please suggest a wiring harness that is simple and effective.

Thank you.

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Sat Sep 12 2020 04:35 PM.
Re: Biggest electrically challenged person on Here is me
AceRockow #1376846 Sat Sep 12 2020 10:50 PM
Master Gabster

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
AceRockow #1376860 Sun Sep 13 2020 01:08 AM
A
New Guy
Thanks Tiny, but there is not 1957 truck link on that site, and I think I want a harness.

AceRockow #1376863 Sun Sep 13 2020 01:34 AM
D
Shop Shark
Check these guys out: American Auto wire [americanautowire.com]. Maybe these guys, who make modern, generic harnesses with fuse blocks: Painless Performance [painlessperformance.com]. Possibly the best wiring harnesses are from Rhode Island Wiring: Rhode Island Wiring Service [riwire.com], but they don't list much for the '57 trucks. Possibly worth a call.

There are other companies that make good harnesses: Ron Francis, etc. A google search should turn up alternatives, as well as these brands, listed by the typical suppliers.

Doug

Last edited by drdoug; Sun Sep 13 2020 01:36 AM.
AceRockow #1376872 Sun Sep 13 2020 04:01 AM
A
New Guy
Thanks doc. I spoke on phone with American autowire yesterday and I will check ou that the rest. Appreciate it.

AceRockow #1376878 Sun Sep 13 2020 05:45 AM
B
General Purpose
American Autowire is the top of the line and most expensive. I have used their harness. In your case I would recommend This. [speedwaymotors.com]
It is more circuits than you will need but that's OK and it's a good price. PM me if you need help with installing it. It will come with instructions but all these kits are "universal" type and you may need help with some areas.
The heater, electrical wipers and turn signals were all available in 1957 from the factory.

Speedway also has a 12 Circuit which will suffice if you are budget minded. I just don't happen to like the fuse box on that one.

In my opinion, you absolutely want a prewired fuse box type harness.

The Tri Five TF's are the best years and the 57 is best of them. I read that yours has a GMC cab. You could be in for trouble at DMV because a GMC VIN plate will not match the Chevy VIN stamped on the frame. In my state, it would not matter because we don't need to take the truck in when getting registered or titled.

It is quite odd that some "PO" would put on GMC cab onto a Chevy frame 40 years or more ago??????????? If that is what happened. What is the VIN? Does the title match the VIN?

Looks like you joined today and already have 7 posts. Good deal.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

AceRockow #1376899 Sun Sep 13 2020 02:06 PM
A
New Guy
Barramos, thanks for advice. I saw that you were on another post and the time you committed to that person was above and beyond.

I will check out speedway.

I asked my dad again about the vehicle. He bought so long ago, that it is difficult to remember. He doesn’t remember it he got title. I will try to find the VIN plates. I know there is an old registration sticker. My dad traded and paid some cash. It did have the GMC cab when he bought. He may have gotten scammed.

I will take a look again at the speedway site.

AceRockow #1376986 Mon Sep 14 2020 08:36 AM
B
General Purpose
thumbs_up

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

AceRockow #1377046 Mon Sep 14 2020 09:44 PM
A
New Guy
“Bartamos “
Probably going to go with the speedway. My dad said his turn indicator isn’t working (the one on the column), any recommendations or should i ask speedway?

AceRockow #1377048 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:01 PM
A
New Guy
Also, if you want to see truck.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gmNKFWgpdLSJgN3w7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop