The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (ccanepa50, Eureka Jim, Dusty53, EdPruss, 2 invisible), 279 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,533
Posts974,358
Members43,959
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New from Ks
#1376774 Sat Sep 12 2020 03:21 AM
T
Moderated
Hello all
I have a 1941 3/4 ton Chevy truck that me and the kids are fixing to start tearing down. It needs a few things…okay a lot of stuff but we’re going to give it a go. I want to make it my daily driver. So I’m undecided on a frame swap or adding IFS and changing out the rear axle. Also trying to decide on how we want to go with the motor and tranny. So many decisions! Lol
I’ve read a ton of posts on here and now I’m more undecided on what I want to do! Lol
Thanks for the add, Mike

Attached Files
Re: New from Ks
Tacomike #1376815 Sat Sep 12 2020 04:42 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Hello Mike, welcome to the 'bolt. It looks like you have some challenges in front of you. It might be more fun to try to get the truck running and driving before tearing it apart, even if its just around your lot.
Of course, that must be done safely. You don't want old wiring shorting out and starting a fire. You don't want to drive away and find that the brakes dont work... stuff like that. I ran my truck around with a pressure weed sprayer for a gas tank just to see how things sounded.

Definitely search through the various forums about how to start an engine that has been sitting for a while, (oil changes, water in the cooling system, ect). There are also suggestions on how to not lose parts ect.
Most important is to have fun, be safe and keep the kids interested.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Tacomike #1376817 Sat Sep 12 2020 05:43 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Hello Mike, welcome to the Stovebolt. The art deco trucks are cool. thumbs_up Keep us informed on your progress.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

Tacomike #1376821 Sat Sep 12 2020 06:19 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Tacomike #1376826 Sat Sep 12 2020 07:50 PM
F
Shop Shark
Welcome to the Stovebolt brotherhood. Glad to have you. Do you know if you have a 3/4-ton Light-duty or Heavy duty? Here's a good Tech Tip to help identify Art Deco trucks. https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/art%20deco/index.html Also, this is a tech tip on swapping a later 1/2-ton differential into a 41 light-duty 3/4-ton that you might find interesting. https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/tranny/bonds/index.html
Good luck with your truck, and I'm glad you are getting the family involved.

Professional Novice
Tacomike #1377005 Mon Sep 14 2020 02:42 PM
Boltergeist
You da man. What a great family project. It takas time but well worth the effort and time with kids. A life's lesson learned that will last them a life time!

......remember, just 15 minutes every day will accomplish a lot. As you take it apart clean, fix, paint that piece so you will always have some motivation to look at.....and when you get down to the last piece just think, all the parts are now ready to reassemble. Good luck, see you around the garage.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Tacomike #1377008 Mon Sep 14 2020 04:04 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Also. As you take things apart, put the hardware and small parts in plastic baggies marked with what they go to. I also mark the back of parts with a sharpie. I had baggies of parts strewn all around my garage, so I bought a small shelf unit and some clear plastic storage boxes. I marked the box with the major area and put the baggies and small parts in the box.

Take LOTS of pictures too... of you and the kids working together. Maybe have them start writing a blog on their adventures in 'bolting.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Tacomike #1377098 Tue Sep 15 2020 03:08 AM
T
Moderated
Thank y’all for the warm welcome, links, and great tips! I’m looking forward to getting this project started!
Mike

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop