The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (1952Cecil, Lightholder's Dad, ESum, SmithLakeChevy, 2 invisible), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,964
Posts969,728
Members43,804
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: vent window division bar
jrhackett #1376348 Tue Sep 08 2020 06:49 AM
B
General Purpose
Roy, I hate to continue on this because you have Hijacked the thread. This is not kosher because it starts two different streams of conversation. Cross talk, confusion and distracts from the original posters question. Please start your own post.

Steele is top of the line. You may have ordered wrong or they delivered wrong. However I see something weird on their site. You can order the run channel in "bulk" and it is said to be for sides and top. A person could interpret that to mean both sides and top. Which wold include division bar? It says order the 6' if using without vent window, Don't know what that means. Anyway it is .625 wide.

Their actual division bar run channel is .437 wide. That is a big difference. I don't have an AD truck so this may make sense. Or not. Don't know, just FYI. You mention 32" so that means you did order the division bar run channel and I guess you also ordered the bulk run channel.

Why are you focusing on Steele if you purchased from 4 different vendors?

pix If you purchased run channel from 4 different vendors and none works, you have something bad wrong. 1/4 glass is OK. So that leaves a bend or wrong division bar..or you didn't remove the old one completely and left the old metal in there. pix

See you on the flip side.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

bartamos #1376389 Tue Sep 08 2020 06:02 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally Posted by bartamos
It says order the 6' if using without vent window, Don't know what that means. Anyway it is .625 wide.

Bartamos, 1950 and earlier were a one piece window, no vent wing. And the Steele description actually doesn't make sense as the earlier glass had their own frames? It would only make sense if somebody was eliminating the vent wing to put a one piece glass conversion.

jrhackett #1376458 Wed Sep 09 2020 02:52 AM
Master Gabster
Where did you get your glass? I am betting bartamos' last nickel that your glass is too thick. Four vendors can't be wrong when no one else is having the same issue.

jrhackett #1376463 Wed Sep 09 2020 03:45 AM
G
Shop Clutterist
My windows barely moved after installing original windows with new channels. I thought that the winders would break when trying to crank them up and down. After spraying the channels with silicone spray, they moved much easier!

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
52Carl #1376470 Wed Sep 09 2020 09:26 AM
B
General Purpose
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Where did you get your glass? I am betting bartamos' last nickel that your glass is too thick. Four vendors can't be wrong when no one else is having the same issue.

1. Quote from Roy: "The glass is 1/4 (.250) thick and when the "felt strip" is installed it closes down some."

2. You are correct that four vendors can't be wrong.........so hence my "two bit" explanation about division bar being damaged or old run channel not removed.

3. Gord is right about glass being tight after a window restore. It will loosen up after awhile but this is hard to imagine: From Roy: "If I have the vent assy on the bench (Not in the door) with the felt runner mounted in the division bar. I can not pass a piece of glass thru the felt track."

4. For now I will have to lean towards Gord's comment as I have had this also...but.....but.........Reserve the right to be right in no. 2.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop