The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (reidy, 1 invisible), 174 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,898
Posts969,181
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
54 3600, Signal-Stat 800 gremlin
#1376343 Tue Sep 08 2020 03:28 AM
B
Shop Shark
I'm working on a 54 3600. Still 6V, original wiring. I have replaced the tail lamps with original RT8C's because I haven't found a decent set of RT8's yet. The left side RT8 was pretty messed up, and the right was a GROTE that probably got put on with the Signal Stat unit. If only they'd have popped for the correct Guide unit at the dealer!
Anyway, I decided to upgrade to LED bulbs in the rear to hopefully catch people's attention better. I installed an LED specific flasher, made sure it's grounded very well under the dash. I replaced the right hand sided pigtail, and replaced the wire going from the signal/brake side all the way back to where it comes through the firewall, as it was degraded badly. I opened up the original splices, cleaned up the wires, and soldered in a new splice for the tail lamps. The left hand pig tail from the factory is still pretty flexible/pliable and did not appear to show any sign of insulation loss, so I decided to let it ride until I am ready to rewire the whole rig.
So now for the issue. Head and tail lamps illuminate as expected. Park lamps/tail lamps illuminate as expected. Brake lamps illuminate as expected. Hazard flashers using the built in function of the 800 work as expected. When I signal a left hand turn, I get a bright left blink as well as a dim right side blink. When I signal a right hand turn, I get a bright right blink, and a dim left blink. The only thing I have not got back and checked that I can think of off the top of my head is that maybe I have an insufficient ground between the stake pockets, brackets, and lamp bodies? I would think if that were the case though that all the other functionality would not be as good as it is. Could this be happening inside the switch itself?
Electrical is not my strongest area, so any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

BlueChipper
Re: 54 3600, Signal-Stat 800 gremlin
BlueChipper #1376365 Tue Sep 08 2020 02:40 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy BlueChipper, my suggestion would be to replace the L.E.D. bulbs with incandescent bulbs and see if the problem goes away. I had a similar problem on a panel I was helping build, everything was working fine, then the owner showed up with some L.E.D. bulbs for the rear of the truck. Once the L.E.D.s were installed both sides would flash when either side turn signal was used, hope that helps.

3B #1376369 Tue Sep 08 2020 02:57 PM
B
Shop Shark
Thanks Bobb! I'll try that.

BlueChipper
BlueChipper #1376553 Wed Sep 09 2020 11:25 PM
J
Moderated
Blue Chipper, If you installed LED bulbs in the back and an LED flasher, did you also change any front flasher bulbs as well? You cant mix LED and incandescent bulbs on an LED flasher, different resistance and it can cause weird things to happen. Just a thought.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop