The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, agedhorse, 1 invisible), 128 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,985
Posts969,895
Members43,811
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: carburetor spacer for a few horses - yes or no?
pan3lman #1376106 Sun Sep 06 2020 03:44 AM
S
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by pan3lman
I did notice, though, that someone spun the electric choke cap so far counter clockwise that the chokeplate was always open, and the wire tabs were in the 12:00 position! No clue why, so I've adjusted it back to normal.

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of a previous owner!

-Kevin

This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"
pan3lman #1376131 Sun Sep 06 2020 02:37 PM
P
Shop Shark
The person who answers the phone makes far less money than an engineer, knowledge in proportion.

pan3lman #1376834 Sat Sep 12 2020 09:12 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
The experiences that actual users of Performer AFB copies on this forum and on chevytalk have been positive:

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/362448/

Here's an example from chevytalk:

"I love my Edelbrock #1406 , been on my 56 Bel-air for about 17 years with NO problems at all.
I had it freshened up two years ago , not because it needed it but because I just wanted to keep running good without any problems."

I picked that example because he's had his for the exact same length of time I've had mine, 17 years, and in that extended period of time both his and mine worked perfectly and required no fixing. I did learn in private communication with Jon that as the AFB changed ownership from Carter to Federal Mogul to Edelbrock there was a modification in the accelerator pump system. But that and the differences in metering rods are the only differences I've been able to discover. Thanks Jon!

Ray W

Ray
pan3lman #1376880 Sun Sep 13 2020 06:45 AM
S
Shop Shark
So, the Edelbrocks are not merely clones of the Carter AFBs, but actually successors!

Good job researching Yar.

-Kevin

This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"
pan3lman #1376900 Sun Sep 13 2020 02:35 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
"Good job researching Yar."

Thanks Kevin.

I think the lesson learned is that information gained from independent research of a variety of sources is often different from information from a single source, no matter how supremely knowledgeable that single source claims to be. In the case of the Edelbrock carburetors it's simply not possible for a product to work well for so many people who took the time to post reviews and also not be a quality product.

Ray W

Ray
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop