The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (55_2nd_Series, Brian_Ostner, Bill Trotter, 3800GUY, glenns towing, 1 invisible), 173 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,988
Posts969,919
Members43,811
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vent window division bar
#1370319 Thu Jul 23 2020 01:56 PM
J
PA OUTLAW
Hello current working on 1954 3100 door glass removed vent window . Cleaned repainted have got new rubber seals and divison bar or called run post. the old divison bar was riveted too the back of vent window thru the divison bar felt were door glass rides any advise or tricks replacing these items THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: vent window division bar
jrhackett #1370383 Thu Jul 23 2020 09:59 PM
T
Shop Shark
Most vendors have the rivets for these. They can be peened over easily by putting a piece of 3/16 bar stock in a vise to set the run channel over and act as an anvil, then use a roll pin punch if you have one or a starting punch and ball pein to set them. An extra pair of hands to steady everything is helpful. John

jrhackett #1370385 Thu Jul 23 2020 10:09 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The Filling Station sells the whole set of rivets, including the pivot rivet along with a setting tool. That's the way to go rather than trying to jury rig something to peen them over.
Vent window rivet kit [fillingstation.com]

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
jrhackett #1370438 Fri Jul 24 2020 01:39 AM
Master Gabster
Are you talking about the felt runner which the door glass rides in? I don't use anything to hold that in place. I just make sure that it is perfectly straight. New ones fit the groove pretty snug. Mine is a '52 and I don't recall any rivets there.

52Carl #1370466 Fri Jul 24 2020 10:59 AM
T
Shop Shark
Those are the type rivets I was referring to. The run channel can be glued in but I prefer to rivet. The vent frame does have to be securely riveted to the division bar. Pop rivets will sort of work, but they are usually a tad loose. The punch the Filling Station shows looks like it will hold up better than the ones that came with the kits I've used before.

jrhackett #1376049 Sat Sep 05 2020 09:32 PM
R
New Guy
52 Carl

I have replaced the side windows on a 51 with new glass. Seems to be the same thickness as the old glass. The old felt runners were really bad so I also replaced the felt runner in the division bar that runs the entire depth of the door. Have done this three times with different parts from different vendors. They all seem to be too small. Very tight on the glass. As you know getting the vent window assy in with the glass rolled down is a bear. I have gotten the vent window assy to mount properly with all the screws etc and the external rubber correct but I have not had any luck with any of the felts used. They all seem too tight. Very tight to roll up and down. Tried them on the bench and can hardly slide the glass thru them. Any tricks to this...

jrhackett #1376111 Sun Sep 06 2020 05:01 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
I used Classic Parts for my 51 (but 53 doors) and they fit very well. I used the rivet tool and it turned out.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
jrhackett #1376267 Mon Sep 07 2020 03:01 PM
R
New Guy
Not sure if we are talking about the same parts. What you describe is it on the vent window side of the division bar? this is the piece that uses rivets.
I am having problems with the 32 inch piece on the main window side of the division bar. I have tried 4 different suppliers with no good results. The glass is 1/4 (.250) thick and when the "felt strip" is installed it closes down some. The glass hardly fits at all and can not slide. It appears that the glass is too thick. If I measure the thickness of the glass in the vent window it is (.234) thick. A full 1/64 of an inch thinner (.015) then the main window. I am stuck.... Do I have the wrong glass?

jrhackett #1376290 Mon Sep 07 2020 07:38 PM
B
General Purpose
Roy, you are correct. The old USA glass was 1/4. The Chinese glass is 6 MM. (.236 with tolerance). It's not the glass thickness that is your problem. I suspect the distance across the opening/across the run channels is "squeezing" the glass too tight. You have to be sure the channels are tightly "seated" against the division bar and the door on the other side. You have to study your installation of those run channels. Also those rivets everyone is talking about could maybe stick out on the side window side and cause the run channel to squeeze side window.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

jrhackett #1376345 Tue Sep 08 2020 04:25 AM
R
New Guy
That's not the problem. If I have the vent assy on the bench (Not in the door) with the felt runner mounted in the division bar. I can not pass a piece of glass thru the felt track. Like the glass is too thick. The rivets are below flush so they are not the problem. It is like either the felt track is too narrow or the glass is too thick.
Has anybody used the tracks from STEELE ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop