The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (canuck49, 51 3804, blueck, 69Cuda, Ed Blouch, fonz8261), 202 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,070
Posts970,583
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rear Axle Bearing Removal
#1375758 Thu Sep 03 2020 06:17 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
I’m replacing the rear bearings and axle seals on my ‘52 3100 and I am at the point of pulling the seals and bearings. There is a lip inboard of the bearing and I want to make sure it is part of the bearing and not part of the rear end. I think it’s part of the bearing but I don’t want to do any damage to the rear end.

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Thu Sep 03 2020 06:19 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: Rear Axle Bearing Removal
Phak1 #1375811 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:01 PM
B
General Purpose
There is supposed to be a retainer/deflector on the outside. Can't tell if that has been removed. Does not look like it has been removed. Not sure it needs to be. May all come out together.
Also, if you are asking about the the thin shinny piece at rear of bearing, that would not be the shoulder of the housing. My opinion is that it is part of the bearing. You would not see the housing shoulder.
Disclaimer: I don't have an AD truck.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Phak1 #1375813 Thu Sep 03 2020 10:08 PM
P
Master Gabster
The inner piece you are seeing is just a washer. It fits up against a step in the axle tube.
I believe it is designed to prevent all the oil from draining out of the bearing while parked.
You will probably bend it trying to remove the bearing, but just hammer it flat again and reinstall.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Phak1 #1375834 Fri Sep 04 2020 12:04 AM
H
Boltergeist
Check Ebay for bearing pullers- - - - - -there are usually several types of jackscrew pullers specifically designed to pull that type of bearing with no damage to the housing. It has a swiveling pull plate that can be rotated almost 90 degrees to insert it into the housing, and a sleeve that allows the bearing to be pulled with a jack bolt. It makes the job very simple, particularly if you use an impact wrench on the puller.

For example:
https://www.harborfreight.com/rear-axle-bearing-puller-set-62960.html?cid=paid_google|||62960&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&msclkid=62162198c4cd10a8e5147ec948fe3b35

Walmart sells a similar kit- - - -3 pullers that will handle a wide variety of bearing sizes. The frustration relief alone is worth the cost of the kit!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Phak1 #1375888 Fri Sep 04 2020 11:52 AM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
I looked at the Master Parts Catalogue and it shows two parts inboard of the bearing. Deflector (5.392) and Ret. (5.816). I’ll pick up a bearing puller, remove the oil seals and pull the bearings and see what I have.

Thanks to all for you input!

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Fri Sep 04 2020 11:52 AM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 #1375899 Fri Sep 04 2020 12:54 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
Upon further investigation, I found a 1951 Chevrolet Service News article (in Keith Hardy's collection of literature) [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com], that shows in 1951 they installed an additional bearing retainer after the oil seal. It says its for a car but it appears to be exactly what is installed on my truck. It states it was installed to protect the oil seal when installing the axle shaft from cuts. Additionally it deflects any oil seepage away from the brake shoes.

It also stated to remove this added retainer, to cut the flange with a cold chisel, necessitating replacement. I have not had any success finding this retainer.

Does any of my fellow “Bolters” know anything about this and where I may obtain a set of replacements?

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Fri Sep 04 2020 12:56 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
12v w/ Alternator
Phak1 #1375951 Fri Sep 04 2020 07:46 PM
B
General Purpose
I think the word "retainer" is a misnomer by Chevy engineers in some cases. A retainer would be something that retains the bearing either totally or in one direction. This part has a different use. Yank it all out, see what it all looks like and make or repair anything that gets bent as Dave said. Chevy shows several diagrams with different parts. Probably a combination of car and truck and changing the design. You can't research it out, you have to yank it out. Buy the bearing at a local place like O'Reillys where you can take it back if it is not correct.

Some axles have a pressed on retainer that needs drilled and chiseled off. With that type, the bearing and retainer comes out with axle shaft. The same bearing is used from 33-62 so several assembly techniques may be involved.

SKF list the R1502EL as H033 & H035 Axles 1st Design. The bearing DOES HAVE what I would call a retaining ring groove.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Phak1 #1376476 Wed Sep 09 2020 12:21 PM
P
Phak1 Offline OP
AD Addict
I got the rear axle bearings and oil seals out yesterday and wanted to post the results for the sake of other “Bolters” that are/will be doing the same job.

First, I attempted to pull all of the components at once on the passengers side, but they would not budge. I have a 5 lb. slide hammer and purchased the axle bearing pulling kit from HF and only succeeded in bending the inner retaining washer. I decided to remove each piece individually, starting with the outer deflector which is a press fit to the outside of the axle housing. It actually come off fairly easily using the hook end of a small crow bar on the deflector flange, working around the axle while tapping it with a hammer. Then, I attempted to remove the original leather oil seal. First trying a big screwdriver to pry it out, It would not budge. I ended up using a half round nose chisel and crushing one side into the center, taking it out one piece at a time. Once the oil seal was removed, the bearing came out easily with the slide hammer.

The drivers side came out the same way. This time, by removing the oil seal first before using the slide hammer, the retaining washer came out undamaged. As Pre ‘68 Dave suggested, I was able to straighten the passenger side retaining washer using my vice, a hammer and a file to clean up the edges.

The Oil Deflector on the outside did not match the newly designed deflector for the ‘51 car referred to in the article I previously posted. The one I removed did not have the smaller ID protecting the oil seal.

Thanks to all who provided input!

Attached Files
Last edited by Phak1; Wed Sep 09 2020 12:35 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
12v w/ Alternator

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop