The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (dougs, Pete V, fonz8261, Guitplayer, tclederman, Leo), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,660
Posts1,006,225
Members44,993
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dream Rear End Ratio and 3D Printing
PapaDisco #1375496 Tue Sep 01 2020 03:11 PM
A
Wrench Fetcher
I’d buy a 3.7 - 3.9 gear set priced under $1k
I’m going to end up having that much into a Dana 60 or 14 Bolt swap anyway.

Pat
1940’s tech was great in the 40’s
Hotrod Lincoln #1375549 Wed Sep 02 2020 12:38 AM
'Bolter
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
There's most likely a good reason that replacement gears, and/or non-standard ratios aren't being manufactured these days. The old law of supply and demand, plus the likelihood that no manufacturer with any sense at all would tool up to produce parts for such a small, specialized group of customers comes into play. There's probably a bigger market for buggy whips, and whalebone-reinforced corsets than there is demand for those gears!
Jerry
Buggy whips and whale-bone-reinforced corsets. Interesting combination of words right there...
There is definitely a more lucrative market for pairing those two items together in certain circuits of society.
May have to borrow the boy's 3D printer...

PapaDisco #1375564 Wed Sep 02 2020 03:31 AM
H
'Bolter
I've seen quite a few of one of those items in John's neighborhood- - - - - -if the other is as much in demand there, it's likely to fit the "Don't ask- - - -don't tell!" category!
LOL!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
PapaDisco #1375601 Wed Sep 02 2020 02:16 PM
P
'Bolter
Wow $1000 for a 3.90 third member , food for thought !

John

good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
whateverpratt #1376400 Tue Sep 08 2020 07:38 PM
P
'Bolter
Originally Posted by whateverpratt
If you want to get serious about this, these are the people to contact https://ptggear.com/

I've though of this for a while, but the issue is that their are primarily two camps of people that want these rear axles and different ratios.
1, us, the guys that would like some more highway friendly gearing (3.30-3.70ish sets)
2, rock crawler and mud bog guys that want to find the elusive 5.83 sets and would probably want custom 6.17's or something

Getting a custom set made is possible, but I haven't gotten any quotes yet.

The biggest financial issue you will probably run into is that you will probably need a few thousand sets made to get the cost per unit low enough for people to consider buying a set. Then you have to wonder about how many people would actually buy a set.

If I was independently wealthy, I would totally make some 3.50ish sets and sell them for cheap <$500 to whoever was interested and just take the financial hit because I love these old trucks and would like to see more of them used for everyday driving, but I'm not.

I did follow up with the custom gear company you suggested, out of curiosity.

Ballpark estimate from the PTG guys was $15,000 per R&P, and the RushGear guys were about $10,000. You need to send them a CAD file or an actual R&P set for a more exact quote.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop