The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (agedhorse), 145 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,069
Posts970,530
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Odd Popping
DoubleDingo #1375077 Fri Aug 28 2020 02:25 AM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Did one video at lunch, and two after work. It is the axle. The first pop was loud but nothing visually jumped or anything on video. It was felt in the cab.

Since it did it early on in the video and the camera was mounted to the cross sill, between the left rear tire and the frame, I could reach under to stop it easily when I stopped to get some "juice", and the mail. Each video it popped once, and the second time, although not too loud on the video, there was a visible jolt in the left rear drum. Very minor in appearance yet very loud in the cab and it did cause a minor change in direction during the right turn. Each pop happened while taking off tonight, but the second one was at the beginning of a right turn, barely 1 foot of roll.

Also, this axle is really loud while moving. How there wasn't shavings in the oil the times I've changed it, is beyond me. It has been this loud since I bought it in 2015, how it hasn't failed on our long trips, also baffles me.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
DoubleDingo #1375086 Fri Aug 28 2020 02:57 AM
H
Boltergeist
This is a 3/4 ton rear end with full-floating hubs, right? (axles can be removed from the center of the hub) Try pulling both hubs off and inspecting the inner and outer wheel bearings. It's beginning to sound like you've had a bearing roller come adrift and it's trying to lock up the hub occasionally. If that's the case, most of the metallic debris will be trapped in the hub with the bad bearing. Hub bearings can get VERY noisy and still keep rolling.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
DoubleDingo #1375094 Fri Aug 28 2020 03:40 AM
D
Unconventional Thinker
That makes sense. If it's just axle bearings, that is easy enough.

I just read out your reply to my wife, and added, "With all of the places we have been in that truck with a bad bearing, and didn't breakdown ".

Blessings come in various forms.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
DoubleDingo #1375104 Fri Aug 28 2020 04:47 AM
H
Boltergeist
Those old rear ends are as tough as woodpecker lips! Lots of us dirt track racers in the 1970's ran them behind 500+ HP small block Chevy engines, turning over 7K RPM down the straightaways through a Muncie 4 speed locked in 2nd. gear. That's one reason the 4.10 gears are so hard to find- - - -that ratio was perfect for a "long quarter mile"- - - -a track that measured 1/4 mile around the infield. A "short quarter" measured around the outside wall, needed a 4.56 gear to get the right engine RPM.

We ran at Merced, Watsonville, and Antioch California, in the San Joaquin Valley back then. Merced was a "short" track. The others were longer, and we had to swap rear end centers to run them.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
DoubleDingo #1375146 Fri Aug 28 2020 03:48 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
They are tough, that's for sure. Sounds like fun!

Shane

Shane's Toys...
DoubleDingo #1375149 Fri Aug 28 2020 04:20 PM
T
Shop Shark
I used to race at Watsonville, we had a Hobby Stock that DeAnza College Votech sponsored. We ran a 65 Mercury Cyclone, the only F%#d in the class.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop