The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (classicchevs), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,922
Posts969,326
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Battery Life
#1375019 Thu Aug 27 2020 05:44 PM
M
New Guy
So I have a problem with my 1950 3100, the battery will be dead if I let it set up for even a week. The battery should last longer than that without running. I have a few things that are always hot even when the key is off such as the blinkers. However, I am under the assumption if the blinkers are not turned on it is not using battery life. If that is not the problem is there a way to tell what is draining my battery? Or could the problem be this is not a good battery. I have replaced the NAPA battery several times, but it is always the same model battery.

Mike
Re: Battery Life
Mike Bell #1375024 Thu Aug 27 2020 06:47 PM
ace skiver
6v system?

What part number NAPA battery?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Mike Bell #1375039 Thu Aug 27 2020 09:09 PM
M
Shop Shark
Try disconnecting the battery ground for a week. If the battery is dead then you have a bad battery. If it's not dead then you have a current drain and will have to put a multimeter on each circuit to find out which one is drawing power.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Mike Bell #1375042 Thu Aug 27 2020 09:45 PM
Shop Shark
Quick way to see a battery drain is by disconnecting the neg. cable, and connect a test light to the battery post and the cable. If it lights you have a current flow draining the battery, and If the light is out it there is no current flow draining the battery.

Last edited by 4100 Fire Truck; Thu Aug 27 2020 09:46 PM.
Mike Bell #1375043 Thu Aug 27 2020 10:01 PM
B
General Purpose
Agree with 4100 fire truck but the drain can be milliamps. Best way to detect parasitic drain is install millamp reading meter between disconnected neg cable and neg post.
Do you have ANY modern components? Radio, blu tooth, security alarm, CD player ........
No: the turn signal will not drain unless malfunction of them or any other item.

You need to check voltage across battery posts when parked and check again after one week. Truck not running for either check. Report voltage readings.

Doesn't NAPA test the battery before replacing?

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Mike Bell #1375049 Thu Aug 27 2020 10:55 PM
G
Shop Shark
Borrowing from another thread, are you sure the brake light switch isn't sticking? If truck is outside and you don't walk behind it, you may not notice the brake lights. Other than that, as mentioned, set up with meter to check current draw and start disconnecting suspect items
one at a time until draw quits. All that being said, I have a vehicle right now with a NAPA battery that is a year old I suspect is going bad. I will get around to taking it back to NAPA to check the day after it strands me...

Greg_H #1375074 Fri Aug 28 2020 02:08 AM
G
Shop Shark
Great suggestion. I had that happen a couple of times, couldn't figure it out. A new brake pedal spring fixed that issue.

I dont know what kind of battery I have in my truck currently, but it has been in there since 2016, and before that, went 50k miles in a Toyota Corolla. I drive my truck once or twice a week now, and it doesn't need a charge unless it sits for a month or so.

-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

Mike Bell #1375278 Sat Aug 29 2020 07:50 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I have had good and bad luck with batteries, both quality and the el cheapo's. The "One year" Autozone battery in one of my trucks was about 8-9 years old before it began to fail. It would fire the engine up even after sitting in the cold all winter, until it wouldn't. I have found that most of my batteries will be dependable up to 4 or 5 years as long as they are kept charged. I also keep a fairly new battery in my wife's car and recycle it to one of my daily's, then recycle it to a vic that sits alot (then I put a battery maintainer on it).

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop