The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (HandyAndy, drdoug, bucktruck, 3 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,008
Posts970,105
Members43,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Odd Popping
DoubleDingo #1374920 Wed Aug 26 2020 04:19 PM
H
Boltergeist
Try using a set of big wheel chocks, at the front and rear of both front wheels to keep the truck from going anywhere, and see if you can duplicate the noise on a paved surface such as a driveway or parking lot, with someone watching the suspension from a safe distance to the sides as you try to move the truck forward and back. We found the source of a bad shudder coming from a motorhome that way- - - -the surge brakes of the 2-wheel tow dolly being used to haul a small car behind it were locking up repeatedly during a stop due to a broken damper spring. It felt like the rear end on the motor home was about to come apart every time the brakes were applied. We got the rig home several hundred miles by opening the bleeder valves on the tow dolly to disable the surge brakes, and planning stops carefully to accommodate the reduced braking ability.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
glenns towing #1374929 Wed Aug 26 2020 04:53 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Originally Posted by glenns towing
That slop in the rear diff is just that, slop. Its not what is making this popping sound. Focus on the popping noise. Dont create problems that aint really there. It might be time to find a trustwodthy mechanic and take him for a drive, make it make the noise, and see what he thinks? If its as loud and scary as you described, its only going to get worse and reveal itself... eventually... Probably sooner than later.

My apologies, I wasn't asking about the slop to go down a rabbit hole. It was just a question. I am still trying to pinpoint the noise. Last night was the first time I clipped the gopro to the a cross sill of the bed and took it for a drive. It's a little limited on where it can be pointed as it doesn't swivel. To start off I pointed it at the rear end. Took it for a drive, and it did pop, not a big loud one, but it did pop, twice. Unfortunately it wasn't apparent in the video when it happened. I have to dress nicely for my job, so crawling under the truck before and during work to mount the camera is not good at staying clean. However, I brought the camera with me today along with an old sheet to lay on the ground so I can mount it pointing towards the trailing arm-to-frame connections next.

2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Hotrod Lincoln #1374930 Wed Aug 26 2020 04:55 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Try using a set of big wheel chocks, at the front and rear of both front wheels to keep the truck from going anywhere, and see if you can duplicate the noise on a paved surface such as a driveway or parking lot, with someone watching the suspension from a safe distance to the sides as you try to move the truck forward and back. We found the source of a bad shudder coming from a motorhome that way- - - -the surge brakes of the 2-wheel tow dolly being used to haul a small car behind it were locking up repeatedly during a stop due to a broken damper spring. It felt like the rear end on the motor home was about to come apart every time the brakes were applied. We got the rig home several hundred miles by opening the bleeder valves on the tow dolly to disable the surge brakes, and planning stops carefully to accommodate the reduced braking ability.
Jerry

If the video footage doesn't show it, I will definitely try this.

DoubleDingo #1374956 Wed Aug 26 2020 09:05 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Mounted the camera towards the trailing-arm-to-frame connections at lunch time, and ran out of gas going to the gas station...lol... Since my lunch got cut short I watched the video at work and those connections are solid. However, since the popping didn't happen, and I wasn't able to drive it around until it did pop, I will be doing this exercise after work. The camera will get mounted in the same spot, and I am certain it will pop at the one left turn up the street. If not, it will at one of the many traffic lights when I go to take off.

One thing I did notice, though, is I either need a different yoke for the transmission, or the front shaft has a slight bend in it. There are no vibrations whatsoever, but you can see the front of the driveshaft is not turn a nice smooth, centered, rotation.

DoubleDingo #1374958 Wed Aug 26 2020 09:19 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Just read thru this whole thread and one thing I didn't see was checking the driveshaft slip joint at the transmission (except for your last post). On Ford Superduty trucks, especially those with 2-piece rear driveshafts, it was common to get a pop on takeoff if the slip joint dried out. The cure was to lube the splines on the slip joint. Ford recommends a teflon based grease for that purpose. You may be experiencing the same thing.
If the splines are worn (you did mention some wobble at the front of the driveshaft), that could be the cause of your noise.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
DoubleDingo #1374959 Wed Aug 26 2020 09:23 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
This is a completely different driveshaft that was in it when I bought it. This popping happened while I test drove it before buying it. The driveshaft I took out was a mess. It had the slip into the transmission, and well as a slip between the center bearing and axle. It was sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. But both slips were tight into the transmission, no slop in those splines.

But I could lube the splines just for the fun of it.

Last edited by DoubleDingo; Wed Aug 26 2020 09:24 PM.

DoubleDingo #1374962 Wed Aug 26 2020 09:29 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by DoubleDingo
But I could lube the splines just for the fun of it.
I would definitely try that. It can't hurt, and may solve your problem.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
DoubleDingo #1374992 Thu Aug 27 2020 01:32 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Well crap, my response from last night is gone. Oh well. I'll have to try and recreate it, but it'll have to be later. Have to get ready for work

DoubleDingo #1374996 Thu Aug 27 2020 02:40 PM
T
Shop Shark
Playing catch up on your thread. I was thinking that since it seems to only happen at low speeds and while turning left.. have you thought about an axle? Just snow balling here so don't shoot me. If the axle shaft was broken and the break lined up most of the time, it would pop when under load such as in a turn ( I had a crank shaft do this). This could also be true if the carrier had a bad bearing or "C" clip. Just thinking...

Last edited by TUTS 59; Thu Aug 27 2020 02:43 PM.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
TUTS 59 #1375006 Thu Aug 27 2020 03:39 PM
D
Unconventional Thinker
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
Playing catch up on your thread. I was thinking that since it seems to only happen at low speeds and while turning left.. have you thought about an axle? Just snow balling here so don't shoot me. If the axle shaft was broken and the break lined up most of the time, it would pop when under load such as in a turn ( I had a crank shaft do this). This could also be true if the carrier had a bad bearing or "C" clip. Just thinking...

You may be on to something. Let me try to recap what I had written out last night. Will try to write it verbatim, but I have slept, so some may have gotten lost in the last 10 hours.

Okay, I covered the lunch time incident. Lets jump to after work yesterday. I mounted the camera in the same spot. Armed with a full tank of gas this time, I hit the normal paths that this popping will happen. Nothing. I was more heavy on the throttle too, although I did some normal take offs as well. No popping. Took turns left, right, tight ones, normal ones, turnarounds, three-point-turn, nothing. Was going to stop and get some juice for me but decided to head home instead. But since it hadn't happened yet, and going home is a string of traffic lights, and I wanted a more fluent motion and the ability to turn left and right on the short segments of downtown, I retraced some steps. I drove past the post office and the next stop it popped.

That was about 16 minutes into the video. The entire time the trailing arm connections did not move at all, no slop in those whatsoever. Driveline, except for the minor wobble at the transmission, nothing. Frame, solid. But the pop could be heard from behind the camera. So to give you guys a hint as to where I mounted the camera, the camera mount is a heavy-duty clamp, and I clamped it to the cross sill just behind the center bearing, and the camera pointing down at the connections. On Tuesday I clamped it to the cross sill above the rear u-joint area. This camera takes wide view shots, so it also picks up the space between the bottom of the bed and cab, so you can see all the way up to the transmission when it's facing forward, and the entire axle when pointing backwards.

It's kinda neat to see the underside of the truck while in operation. Definitely a perspective you don't ever get to see.

With that said, and from the videos I have shot thus far, I believe it is coming from the axle. On Tuesday night, it popped, but mildly and you couldn't tell because it happened right at the time of a rough spot in the road. Rough spots don't cause it, it is completely sporadic. The video from lunch yesterday, and last night's video, all indicate the axle is making noise. I owned and daily drove a '65 C20 from 1987 to 2005. It had a 350/SM420 setup. When I got it, it had the HO52, but I found a 1968 Dana 60 and put that in, in 1991. The SM420 is beefy and not quiet. When I bought this truck, it was and still is running the Saginaw 3 Speed, since I had never operated a truck with the 3 speed I figured they were noisy like the SM420. Granted, the transmission needed to be rebuilt when I got it, and while it was being rebuilt I ran a different 3 speed in it and the truck made the same sounds, so I chalked it up to truck transmission gear noise. I may have mentioned it before, but I restate it, this truck has been on many 1,000+ mile trips and not a hiccup. Yes it will pop, but that's it. No loss of fluids, nothing overheats, just the occasional pop.

That said, Tuesday's video had the camera pointing towards the axle and the gear noise was louder than the gear noise with the camera pointing towards the center bearing. The PO did tell me he rebuilt the rear end, so perhaps he did it wrong.

Could it be a broken axle shaft? I don't know, because on tight turns in a parking lot it doesn't do it, the no-spin is locked up pretty good and turning makes the truck lurch not pop. Pushing in the clutch you can here everything finding its happy spot as you finish the turn and turn it straight. Left or right in a parking lot the same, but if using a little throttle it acts normal. Hot Rod Lincoln mentioned something like that earlier in this thread. I prefer to drive slowly in parking lots and let the dummies drive fast and pull out in front of you. Heavy-footed launches, no popping. Just light-footed take-offs and usually after the truck has gotten up to operating temperature.

I have been enjoying this setup, the three-on-the-tree/HO52, but I have the SM420 and Dana 60 still, and have been wanting to install that 420 & D60. So it might be time to get the bearing kit and rebuild it. I have the seals, and other items for it, I have just been enjoying the current setup. The D60 is 3.54 gears, and I do not plan to buy a gear set to re-gear it to 4.57. If it goes in, the 420 has to go in too, or the take-off gear will be too high with my current 3 speeds.

I will take more videos today and tomorrow, all concentrated on the axle and taken from various angles, and I will report back what I see. This turned out to be longer than last night's post, but also has a little more info.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop