The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (55 SHAKER, 3B, 48bigtrucks, '37 barn find, 5 Window 9434, 2 invisible), 196 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,918
Posts969,291
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
58 Task Force Windshield Replacement
#1374866 Wed Aug 26 2020 02:13 AM
J
John D Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Folks.
I'm trying to get a windshield installed for my 1958 3200. I had two originals.

One was pretty clean but it had some delamination in the corners. I tried to install it, but it wasn't going in quite right. I left if for the night, and when I came back, driver side went foggy in the top and bottom delamination area, due to soapy water lubricant wicking up. So out it comes. The second one had a lot of wiper scratches (why couldn't someone just buy new wiper rubbers!). Installation was going better, but then I cracked it. My fault.

So I called the local auto glass supplier and they ordered me a new replacement. Professional installer could not get the windshield in, despite two attempts.

We compared the original windshield to the new one, and it's 1/8" taller in the center, and 3/8" wider at the corners than my original. He's going to try and order in another new windshield from a different supplier, and try to get a gasket from Premier, who he says makes the best gaskets. (mine came from Classic or LMC, not sure).

So does anyone have any original windshields that can be measured as a comparison to my originals? Mine is 58 3/8" bottom corner to corner, and 18" tall.

Anyone else have problems getting a windshield installed ?

John.

When God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work�this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. Ecclesiastes 5:19-20
Re: 58 Task Force Windshield Replacement
John D #1374888 Wed Aug 26 2020 07:41 AM
T
Shop Shark
Had one put in my 57 came from China and was installed no dramas got seals from L mc truck had an old school installer who loved the challenge

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: 58 Task Force Windshield Replacement
John D #1381569 Tue Oct 20 2020 09:29 PM
J
John D Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
My windshield supplier (Novus Auto Glass in Sarnia, ON) really had a hard time getting a good new windshield. They went through 5 different windshields and all were defective in one way or another. Off spec dimensions, scratches, nicks, etc. Each was sent back one after another. Finally they found a different supplier, which had a different manufacturers windshield. Still from China though. This one was just fine. Went in quick and easy, and fits fine. Overall, took 3 months to finally get a windshield.
I was getting very worried that I had really warped the windshield opening when I replaced the GMC dash with my Chevrolet dash. But it looks like that was not my problem. Now I just need to scrap my old delaminating windshield.

Attached Files
IMG_9080.JPG (188.17 KB, 5 downloads)

When God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work�this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. Ecclesiastes 5:19-20

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop