The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (52Carl, JD1, 66rollback, joe apple, 4112YR, 1 invisible), 189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,149
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: *Retirement Approching Fast*
olezippi #1374263 Fri Aug 21 2020 12:45 PM
O
Shop Shark
*** 10 Working days left *** I think my first day of retirement I'm going to drive my 49 out to the local Freddy's Burger joint for lunch and eat a nice greasy burger and a cold chocolate malt and think about all the years that have gone by and all the good ones ahead. Still just can't get my head wrapped around not going to work any more but I'll get use to it ☺

Last edited by olezippi; Fri Aug 21 2020 12:56 PM.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1374288 Fri Aug 21 2020 04:14 PM
R
Shop Shark
I've been retired for 7 years after 35 years teaching elementary-aged kids. (I was 59) The job was great but it did start to wear on me. I was lucky to be able to work on call for a few years as a way to ease my way out. Only worked an average of about a day-and-a-half a week. That helped to pay for my garage without cutting into the pension. I tell people that retirement is so great, I wish I had done it many more years ago! I had a good routine going. Got up and made breakfast for my wife, sent her off to work, had a nap with the dogs, went for a bike ride, did one or two of my jobs around the house, then started cooking dinner. My wife retired 2 years later so my 'routine' changed. With the uncertainty with Covid and schools, I'm glad I retired when I did. It's a nice feeling not having to get up and go to work.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
olezippi #1374291 Fri Aug 21 2020 04:32 PM
W
Master Gabster
MY first retirement was semi-forced, the store I worked closed. So to keep my Unemployment going I had to apply for jobs and I was offered 2 jobs in one day I took one at Homedepot then 4 years later it closed. The same thing kept applying to get unemployment offered a job at Auto Zone, some weeks on 9 hrs. Then they asked me to sub at a store 12 miles away for a person who was sick. She never came back so they offered me her position as a delivery driver full time. Did that for 3 years and got fed up and walked out and quit. Been retired for good since. No pets no women no worries. wave yahoo. My one advice is to keep physically active. I am sedentary by nature and a procrastinator also so my physical health has deteriorated. I am 77 1/4. blush

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
olezippi #1374294 Fri Aug 21 2020 04:51 PM
O
Shop Shark
Yeah....I guess sooner or later retirement kicks in for all of us. When I was on furlough from my job for 9 weeks I would take a 1 1/4 mile walk in the morning once my wife left for work around 7:30. Found a couple guys on my walking route that had Hot Rods so I would stop and shoot the breeze. You never really know what's going on in your neighborhood until you walk around and see for yourself and talk to people. 99.9% of the people I encountered were friendly and plenty to talk about. You don't want to know about the 1%. I'm having all new gutters, down spouts, and leaf guards installed today. I had my house built 32 years ago and two trees on both sides of the house have fallen due to storms and bent the gutting. I straightened it up best I could but the wife said it's time for new gutters. I think she said windows are next. Can you tell who is the boss.

1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1374800 Tue Aug 25 2020 05:34 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Retired Jan 31st ... just before COVID hit frown The part about now getting to do what you want is mostly true. I am working part time for a friend who is an excavator, so I get to play with semi's (I've had a Class A CDL for about 6 years now in preparation), earthmoving equipment, dump trucks and lots of other things. Sunday, I got to teach my grandson how to operate a tracked skid steer loader smile When you don't have to worry about income, it really frees you up to do a lot of things that interest you. I like hard work and accomplishing things. I come home sweaty, tired, dirty and sore. It's great! And its a lot more fun than staring at a computer all day, doing highly creative stuff for people who have utterly no appreciation for anything you do. You should see where I can put a 48-foot demo trailer now wink

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

olezippi #1374810 Tue Aug 25 2020 06:40 PM
Shop Shark
I'm just the opposite John. Worked a good part of my life running big dirty machine tools, then moved on to bigger power plant repair and machining.
Retired now and don't have much desire to go back to it. Miss it sometimes, but not much. Smaller projects, auctions and reading is something I never got to do much.
So those are my hobbies now.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
olezippi #1374815 Tue Aug 25 2020 08:00 PM
T
Shop Shark
I get asked all the time when am I going to retire I enjoy doing what I do and have a couple of goals to make built a new house 5 years ago and now planning a new one so that will keep me going and hopefully the borders will open again

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
olezippi #1374856 Wed Aug 26 2020 12:24 AM
W
Master Gabster
thumbs_up To you all. I worked until I was 73 1/2 Still retail but I clocked in and did my shift and went home. Then. I got a new boss that I did not like so I handed in the keys and left. I am 77 1/4 now and don't miss it. NO pets, NO women, No worries. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
olezippi #1374883 Wed Aug 26 2020 03:57 AM
J
J M Offline
Shop Shark
I have been retired for better then 15 years. Being debt free is huge. You need to work on your no skills. People will look at you and say that he is retired and I am sure he would be glad to do it for us. This is good if it is something you want to do.You could find yourself working more hours then you did at work. You do need to have something to do though, but it doesn't have to be 40 hours a week , and something you enjoy. I have been doing the grounds at our local museum and have enjoyed it a lot.
Jim

olezippi #1374933 Wed Aug 26 2020 05:09 PM
O
Shop Shark
I have thought about a part time job doing something similar to that as I like being out doors. The heat doesn't seem to bother folks as much when you enjoy what your doing. But first.....I'm taking a long break from everything and just chill out.

1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop