The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (55 SHAKER, BlueChipper, archburycontrol, Dusty53, Bill Trotter, 1 invisible), 179 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,976
Posts969,821
Members43,809
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
55 Chevy Cameo in Scottsdale
#1374230 Fri Aug 21 2020 02:56 AM
M
Mib4840 Offline OP
New Guy
New to the forum. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona (2 miles from the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction nanner) and am the proud owner of a 1955 Cameo Carrier. My dad was the original owner and passed it down to me.... well technically the original owner. My dad was one of the Big Wigs in Chevy back then. When the Cameo came out each dealer was required to order one. One of the dealers in Albuquerque New Mexico, I believe it was Ed Black Chevrolet, told corporate that he did not want one. His farmer customers only bought step sides and it would not sell. After lots of back and forth the dealer took one. According to my dad, the dealer parked it in their basement and then later on decided to use it as a parts running truck. My dad told Ed when your done with the truck call me and I’ll buy it. So we got the phone call in 1980 saying the truck is yours. My brother-in-law flew over to Albuquerque and drove it back to Phoenix. The truck was never registered until my dad got it. They slapped dealer plates on it when it was at the dealer. So technically he was the original owner.
I don’t know how many miles are on it because the speedometer and odometer didn’t work when we got it. My understanding was that the truck was all original... that is until I started reading this forum 3 days ago. I knew my dad swapped out the generator to an alternator. Then when I started using it as a daily driver I installed electric wipers in place of the vacuum. On a side note it was hilarious seeing my boss in the passenger seat, when it was my turn to drive for the carpool, flinging his arms back and forth, pulling on the string that I ran through both windows and attached to the wipers, to clear the windshield when it was raining. So anyways, the truck has been sitting for many years now and I decided last week to start working on it and get it back up and running. It ran when I parked it. Several years ago I started to work on it but I took the wire off the distributor and couldn’t get it back on tight. So Fast forward to last week and I ran into a thread regarding the engine ID. I went out and scraped 65 years of oil, grease and dirt off the block to see the ID#. Well it ended up being a 1956 235 built on 8-30-56. I’m not sure if I’m sad because it’s not original or if I’m happy because I got the better head (858 or something like that)
Now that I have learned that it is not “original” I have changed my mind on restoring it. Now it is going to be a resto-mod. I’m have lots of questions that I’m going to need help with. I have already been doing lots of thread searches but still not coming up with the answers I am needing.
Thanks for letting me join the forum and for reading my intro. I’ll talk to you in some other threads.

Attached Files

1955 Chevy Cameo 235, original parts and original family owned
Re: 55 Chevy Cameo in Scottsdale
Mib4840 #1374237 Fri Aug 21 2020 03:34 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Interesting truck. The mayor of the small town I mostly grew up in has a Cameo, white and red. He still purrrrs around in it!

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Mib4840 #1374240 Fri Aug 21 2020 03:48 AM
R
Shop Shark
Welcome!
That is still a unique truck. I wouldn't resto-mod it too much.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Mib4840 #1374257 Fri Aug 21 2020 12:17 PM
ace skiver
Welcome to Stovebolt.com

I agree with Rich. "I wouldn't resto-mod it too much."

However, it is your truck.

Please keep us informed on your efforts.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Mib4840 #1374259 Fri Aug 21 2020 12:37 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Mib4840 #1374267 Fri Aug 21 2020 01:19 PM
Boltergeist
Welcome to Stovebolt. Consider yourself at home now....no matter where you live!

Congrats on finding and owning the proverbial chicken with teeth. Your a lucky man and your dad was lucky they remembered him when it was time to let it go.
You can find answers to your questions in the garage forums. See ya there.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Mib4840 #1374337 Fri Aug 21 2020 09:28 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Hello Mib...

In the long run you'll probably be glad that you went the resto-mod route. It will drive much better and you'll mostly likely drive it more often.

Welcome to the Stovebolt

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop