The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, 46paneltruck, NorthCoast3800), 176 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,296
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coronavirus and metal...
#1373913 Tue Aug 18 2020 01:57 PM
J
Jon G Offline OP
Shop Shark
I deal with Metal Supermarket from time to time and am on their email list. Recently they sent this interesting message. In part interesting because the study of metal's effect on earlier human coronavirus strains back in 2015 (or before that):

A new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that COVID-19 remained viable in aerosols for up to 3 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours, and on plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces. However, the virus remained contagious on copper for up to 4 hours; a significantly shorter time than on many other hard surfaces.

One reason why copper destroys disease-causing organisms is that it “enters the cell, perhaps as ions. When a lethal dose is reached, copper seems to interfere with normal cell functions and compromise membrane integrity. There is some evidence that copper impedes cell respiration and metabolism and causes DNA damage.”[4][5] “This results in rapid death, which makes it unlikely that the cells will have sufficient time to reproduce.”[2]

In a study published by the American Society for Microbiology in 2015, copper was found to kill several different, earlier strains of human coronavirus. “Exposure to copper surfaces results in morphological changes to human coronavirus particles visible in transmission electron microscopy (TEM).”[3] “The mechanism of bacterial death on copper surfaces is complex, involving not only direct action of copper ion on multiple targets but also the generation of destructive oxygen radicals, resulting in “metabolic suicide”.”[3]

Copper and copper alloys have been shown to retain their effectiveness of killing bacteria even after decades of use. “There is now a large body of evidence from laboratory studies and small clinical trials to suggest that incorporation of copper surfaces could play a significant role in reducing infection transmission from contaminated surfaces.”[3]

Although using copper for high-touch surfaces does not eliminate the need for hand washing and disinfecting, using copper for objects such as door and cabinet handles, countertops, and railings is a passive way to reduce the length of time that viruses remain viable on surfaces. This in turn can play a role in minimizing the rate of transmission in shared spaces and common areas.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: Coronavirus and metal...
Jon G #1373921 Tue Aug 18 2020 02:13 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
This post could very well turn political. If y’all want to go there it will be deleted.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Jon G #1373929 Tue Aug 18 2020 03:06 PM
Master Gabster
Don't use copper when you get your knee or hip replaced. grin

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Jon G #1373931 Tue Aug 18 2020 03:27 PM
Shop Shark
Aluminium foil pyramid hats also work!
eeeek

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Jon G #1373969 Tue Aug 18 2020 09:44 PM
W
Master Gabster
Don. :thumbs_up ohwell:

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Jon G #1373976 Tue Aug 18 2020 09:58 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
How does the virus do on steel, outside in the sun, with a surface temperature approaching 120 degrees?? I know my finger tips don't do so well!

Jon G #1373998 Wed Aug 19 2020 12:56 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I wonder if Silver acts similarly? I know the pharmaceutical companies put Silver in antibacterial/microbial dressings, wound packings, etc. We've used a lot of Silver (Ag) alginate around here ... frown

But it's not surprising about the copper -- horse people know it well for treating thrush and other hoof issues (but don't apply to an open wound!). Copper is also an active ingredient (in some form) in several powerful herbicides.

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Jon G #1374162 Thu Aug 20 2020 04:23 PM
D
Shop Shark
Jon, time and again the subject of copper on human skin has come up for the last 100 years. There is a lot written about the benefits of copper and health. As John said silver is an antibiotic. Colloidal silver is a liquid I use. One can make colloidal silver at home. There are different methods on line but the best beginners method is to take two nine volt batteries attached to two pure silver solder rods and put them in a glass jar filled with DISTILLED water. It is fun to watch the small bubbling action between the two opposed rods. I put the rods in a harder foam piece to keep them from touching. Be sure to polish the rods prior to use with a non metallic scrubber. In about 20 minutes you have colloidal silver which is used in many prescription creams and salves. I have been drinking it for years (about an ounce a day when I think I need it), One can buy it on line or at your local pharmacy across the counter. SSD 1% silver sulfadiazine cream sometimes can be also bought with out a prescription. Have fun making it, If you have a variable DC inverter/converter use that and attach each lead with alligator clips. Keep on using the copper unless you have certain implants or heart implant cardiac device. I use the colloidal silver because I have an auto immune problem due to 14 pit viper bites from Florida swamps and pine woods. Still breathing and still go out, I found out too late that when walking in scrub areas to carry a healthy stick and beat the brush as you walk. Pit vipers have no hearing, everything is vibration to them. The last time in 2000 that I had multiple bites while on an Archaeology site I asked a good friend and snake bite MD why I was always getting bit. He said because you stupid Mohawk, you are always hoping you may walk up on a bunny or a covey of quail so make noise. I have not been bit but once since Sept 18 2000. Except for a pigmy rattler which only involved 2 days in the hospital. Everything is a story for me. Note; when bought across the counter or on line it is usually expensive. Make your own, you can never make it too strong because the pure silver leads become corroded which stops the catalytic affect. Ed

Last edited by Doc.Hall; Thu Aug 20 2020 04:39 PM. Reason: misspelling

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop